hatari Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Fell on him. Shows he was very close.

Big game hunter crushed to death by falling elephant that was fatally shot

Yahoo News UK Yahoo News UKMay 22, 2017

View photos
A big game hunter was crushed to death by a falling elephant that was fatally shot by one of his party.

Theunis Botha, 51, was killed when the animal fell on top of him during a group hunting expedition in Gwai, Zimbabwe on Friday.

His group came across a breeding herd of elephants, according to reports, and fired at the animals.

Alarmed by the intrusion, the elephants charged at the hunters and one of them picked up Mr Botha with its trunk.

MORE: Student ‘spared jail’ after stabbing boyfriend could still be expelled from college
MORE: ‘It’s alarming’: Facebook leak reveals it’s okay to livestream suicide videos

A member of the hunting party shot the elephant in the hope it would drop Mr Botha, but, instead, the wounded animal, which later died, fell on top of him and crushed him to death.

Mr Botha was a well-known hunter who led leopard and lion hunting trips for his company, Game Hounds Safari

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
GB1

E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
A freak accident,what a terrible way to go.

Prayers for Theunis Botha family and for the person who tried to save him.

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Talk about bad luck!

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
hatari Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I'm just stunned at the fact the elephant "picked up with his trunk". How frightening must that be?

I wonder if we find out the PH was trying turn them without firing and this group was just in foul mood.

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
Originally Posted by hatari
I'm just stunned at the fact the elephant "picked up with his trunk". How frightening must that be?

I wonder if we find out the PH was trying turn them without firing and this group was just in foul mood.

Probably figured he was a goner at that point.

Isn't that what happened to Ian Gibson,IIRC the elephant that killed him was a bull in musth. Could it be the same situation here?

Last edited by elkhunternm; 05/22/17.

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
just read news they said he was a trophy hunter maid it sound like it was his fault that the thing killed him f in news people have to use a tragety to make a liveen by changing the facts

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
I just returned from a hunt in Namibia. Although I was hunting plains game the outfit I hunted with specializes in Elephant hunts. This was a topic around the campfire at night. According to the PH's in camp the PH and his client were the victims of an unprovoked charged by three cows. The PH killed the first with a brain shot and turned the second with a shot to it's head. The third cow picked him up with her trunk and the client then brained that elephant. Unfortunately, she fell on top of the PH. One of the PH's in our camp showed me the photo of the dead cow laying on top of the PH. Very sad situation.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
It is certainly a tragic and regrettable incident.

However, it is called dangerous game hunting for a reason and there are risks inherent in the process. If one hunts dangerous game, one must be prepared to accept the potential consequences. If those consequences are unacceptable, either limit your hunting to non dangerous animals in non dangerous areas or stay home and watch DG hunts on the Outdoor Channel.

I have hunted DG on multiple safaris, have taken the Big Five and just returned from a tuskless cow hunt in Zim. The risks are always there. There were times on several hunts when my survival was in doubt, yet the thrill of the hunt was so intense that I have returned year after year. I take reasonable precautions and make sure my Trust is up to date. I practice relentlessly with my rifles and keep fit. Still, the risk is always there. You pay your money and you take your chance.

In response to the OP who said the fatal encounter was "very close", one does hunt elephant "very close". If you shoot one at 100 yards, you can always say that you "killed an elephant". But you can never honestly say that you " hunted an elephant".

BTW, I don't want to start an off topic debate, but I rank the elephant at the top of the Big Five in terms of dangerousness. Tuskless cows, cows with calves and bulls in musth are particularly nasty.

May Mr. Botha rest in peace.

Z
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Z
Win, I agree with you on the danger factor. When I did a tuskless cow I was glad I had my .500 NE Double. Good to have some extreme firepower if needed.

I
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I
I'm always amazed that you shoot elephants at closer range than any other big game.

I'm amazed they let you get that close, especially as you are usually accompanied by a PH and one tracker.

If you hunted white tailed deer the way you hunt elephant, or even the way you track Buffalo, you'd never see a deer.

Don't blame me. I voted for Trump.

Democrats would burn this country to the ground, if they could rule over the ashes.
IC B3

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Wow what a traumatic experience for the hunter. Prayers for the PH, his family and friends. If I ever do make it to Africa elephant would not be on the menu for me as I have no desire to take one but my god that would be a thrilling hunt. It seems that PH's in Africa this year have been having some tough and deadly luck.

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
L
las Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Elephants are likely the most intelligent of all game animals. Possibly the equivalent of man, without the predatory instinct.

Haven't hunted them, never will, just from general reading/understanding.

You pays your money and takes your chances, and when they co-ordinate.... you lose, if they are 3 and you have only two in the chamber.

I love Carter facing down elephants and lion on WAR. Guy knows his chit. He's probably gonna die doing it... critters don't always follow the "rules". smile

Last edited by las; 06/10/17.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by IndyCA35
I'm always amazed that you shoot elephants at closer range than any other big game.

I'm amazed they let you get that close, especially as you are usually accompanied by a PH and one tracker.

If you hunted white tailed deer the way you hunt elephant, or even the way you track Buffalo, you'd never see a deer.

I wouldn't say they let you get close. If they know you're there during the final stalk, odds are high you won't have a clean shot.

Elephants are very dangerous, whether close or far, because they're smart and capable of killing people quite efficiently. I've had them come back a long distance to try to stump us into the dirt, when they felt pressed as we tracked them. Getting close without getting into the kind of danger you can't resolve is the reason PHs experienced with DG are the only way to go. YMMV

Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it Almighty God! I know not what course others may take, but as for me, give me liberty of give me death! P. Henry

Deus vult!

Rhodesians all now

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
I grew up hunting whitetail. I have shot 2 elephants and videotaped my BIL shooting 2 more. There is no comparison between the 2 hunts or hunting. They are simply too far apart. Other than wingshooting, the only hunting I get serious about now is elephant. It's that addicting...This Ph was by all accounts a nice guy and expert hunter but with elephants, things can go south in a heartbeat.
RIP

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

559 members (10gaugeman, 007FJ, 12344mag, 160user, 10ring1, 19rabbit52, 62 invisible), 2,324 guests, and 1,160 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,211
Posts18,466,230
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.