Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by simonkenton7
Mess with the bull, you get the horn.
I have been a deer hunter for 30 years and have killed over 90 whitetail, and a bunch of hogs. And I ate them.

I can't see the attraction of killing these animals in Africa for "trophies."
Glad to see the elephants getting revenge.

Kill 90 of one species of mammal is ok, but not one of another? Selective morality at work.

Let me help with conservation, if you'll take a moment to read.

1.) Wild Africa is shrinking. More population = more settlements and less range for elephants.

2.) People and elephants cannot live together. Why? People try to grow crops, maize, beans , etc., and the elephants walk in and eat and destroy acres of it overnight. Village now starves. Next they either get the Game Scouts to come and kill the elephants or they do it snares, poison, or guns themselves. They are NOT going to starve next season.

3. As elephants get restricted to game management areas and national parks, they can multiply quickly and exceed the carrying capacity for the available land. Elephants must eat 400 lbs of forage per day-each! They tear up riverine vegetation, knock over trees, and strip an area of forage leaving other mammals without food. Erosion then kills the area for regrowth. Their numbers must be controlled to balance the carrying capacity of the land.

4.) Once and elephant is taken, it is a grand source of something desperately need in bush Africa-protein! FYI, Areas that have Tsetse flies, do not have domestic animals other than chickens. FYI, wild animals and domestic animals do not coexist. People raise cattle, lions and leopards and hyenas etc. eat them. People get pissed and poach and trap. So people live in one area, and wild Africa in another. They are not like deer that will live on your golf course.

5.) So let's look at the distribution of the elephant I took in Cameroon. I got the tusks. the local village can out en masse and striped the carcass clean, They piled meat up on their heads and hauled it all back to the village. Village is by a dirt road. Trucker drives through and stops. Sees all the meat. he BUYS a butt load of it and takes it 25 miles down the road and sells it at the next village, which has a cross road. Same thing happens their. The locals assured me that my elephant would be feed people 200 miles away in as short of three days. That is African Bush distribution.

So, you getting the picture, deerslayer?

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by add
The elephant then collapsed on top of Mr Botha...

[Linked Image]

Dude!! Mr. Bill does safari???/

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
I have been a deer hunter for 30 years and have killed over 90 whietail, and a bunch of hogs. And I ate them.

You might not suck a liberal's cock, but I'd bet you'd hold one in your mouth till a f a g came along.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Wow, crazy situation. I suggest that those that commented without actually reading what happened actually go back and read. They were not hunting elephants. Dude was getting tossed by a trunk and his client shot the elephant and it fell on top of him.

A
add Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Calvin
Wow, crazy situation. I suggest that those that commented without actually reading what happened actually go back and read. They were not hunting elephants.

Uh, no.

Epstein didn't kill himself.

"Play Cinnamon Girl you Sonuvabitch!"

Biden didn't win the election.
IC B2

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Originally Posted by Calvin
Wow, crazy situation. I suggest that those that commented without actually reading what happened actually go back and read. They were not hunting elephants. Dude was getting tossed by a trunk and his client shot the elephant and it fell on top of him.

Gee, I missed the part in the article the specifically stated that they 'were not hunting elephants', can you quote that section for me. Thanks

J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
Pardon me, Simon, but are you a transplanted yankee, if I may ask?

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Originally Posted by JCMCUBIC
Originally Posted by JSTUART

Bit of sympathy for a fellow hunter wouldn't go astray either.

Yep...

Yep again. Applauding the death of the hunter is unconscionable. Not to mention all the very valid posts about habitat destruction, crop destruction, the impact of hunting on the economy, how the meat is utilized, and so on. I'm not sure what I think of that particular hunter using hounds for leopard and lion, but that is a separate subject and I sure wouldn't wish him harm for the practice.

Clinging to guns & religion since 1959

Keyboards make people braver than alcohol

Election Integrity is more important than Election Convenience

Washington Post: "Democracy Dies in Darkness"
More correct: "Killing Democracy Faster Than Darkness"
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I have been a deer hunter for 30 years and have killed over 90 whietail, and a bunch of hogs. And I ate them.

HMMmmmm, and yet were confident that you and your chums feeding somebody's pet dog drugs, in it's own yard, would be found amusing by the readership here.

You seem to have talking out of both sides of your mouth down to a fine art.

GTC

Member, Clan of the Border Rats
-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
She's a POS liberal, just like JO.

IC B3

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
I don't know about hunting elephants, I would be afraid I think. Takes balls to do that. Money too!!

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S

You don't need to know anything about elephant hunting or Africa to avoid saying things this stupid.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

FVA Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The article just says he was leading a hunt, not that it was specifically for elephants, when he stumbled into the elephants.
Regardless from there things went downhill quickly. May he rest in peace .
As to the poster who was fine with his morality in killing deer but saw this is as immoral you are an idiot.
Your same thought process is used by the antis who want to stop your deer hunting.
It has been used in the outlawing of types of trapping, hound hunting, and baiting already

Last edited by FVA; 05/22/17.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
I get testy when my breeding time is interrupted by people wanting to kill me too...

I'm pretty well SOL if my only defense mechanism is picking them up with my "Trunk".

I'm here to increase my social credit score and rub elbows with some of the highest rollers on the internet.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Although I've never hunted elephants, I've hunted in Africa and in Zimbabwe. You don't have to be hunting elephants to run into problems with cow elephants. They can be quite aggressive, especially when there are calves in the group. It sounds like this man was a good PH; I'm sorry he was killed.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by DryPowder
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
I get testy when my breeding time is interrupted by people wanting to kill me too...

I'm pretty well SOL if my only defense mechanism is picking them up with my "Trunk".

Some trunks are bigger than other trunks. smile

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
I'd like to see "a breeding herd" as the narration described. I can't quite imagine what was intended but the spectacle of a whole herd breeding at once is probably a scene only Capstick could describe.
Hunting in bush where there are elephants is always risky. You walk around a bush looking for an kudu and suddenly there's an elephant. Part of the fascination of wild Africa whether you are hunting elephants or not. They can be incredibly quiet and hard to see in spite of their size. If you are lucky, they are looking the other way. If not it can get downright interesting. Or worse, as this gentleman found out.

"Be sure you're right. Then go ahead." Fess Parker as Davy Crockett
Z
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Z
Originally Posted by toltecgriz
I'd like to see "a breeding herd" as the narration described. I can't quite imagine what was intended but the spectacle of a whole herd breeding at once is probably a scene only Capstick could describe.
Hunting in bush where there are elephants is always risky. You walk around a bush looking for an kudu and suddenly there's an elephant. Part of the fascination of wild Africa whether you are hunting elephants or not. They can be incredibly quiet and hard to see in spite of their size. If you are lucky, they are looking the other way. If not it can get downright interesting. Or worse, as this gentleman found out.

Breeding herd most likely had pregnant cow and little ones mixed in. Hence the hostilities toward man. I once did a tuskless cow in Zim. Behind the shoulder lung shot. Why? Because she would fall back from the heard and go down. She was too tough. Had trouble putting her down. There was a one tusk monster cow with a calf that wanted us very badly. Screeching and searching for us. Gave her the slip. NOTE:guns used. My Searcy 3.25 inch 500 Nitro Express with 570 Woodleigh Solids. PH used Winchester M70 458 Lott, but loaded with 458 Win Mag Solids. Apprentice hunter had BSA 458 Magnum with solids.

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Originally Posted by jorgeI

You can't see it because you are an ignorant idiot. Ignorance in and of itself comes from a lack of knowledge, but the idiot part comes from your gene pool (the shallow end). First, as memtb alluded to, EVERY SCRAP of meat gets distributed. EVERY OUNCE. Second half of the Trophy fees go to the Village fund to buy grain and food, thus imparting on the (ignorant) locals to refrain from poisoning of killing elephants indiscriminately. To wit, Kenya banned all hunting circa 1977. Today, elephants are GONE except for those seeking refuge in the National Parks, whereas in places like Zimbanwe, Tanzania, Zambia, Mozambique, etc, populations thrive. And WHY? because sport hunting not only affords ALL game VALUE, but by taking the more mature animals out of breeding (or in this case genetically deficient (you know, like you) tuskless cows, the gene pool is improved. Feel free to contact me next time you need a lesson in hunting as a tool for conservation, or how to eloquently hand someone their ass.
Cheers,
jorge

Nice! smile

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

You're one sick [bleep].

Be Polite , Be Professional , but have a plan to kill everybody you meet
-General James Mattis United States Marine Corps

Nothing is darker than a mau mau's moo moo.
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

325 members (1lesfox, 01Foreman400, 1beaver_shooter, 1OntarioJim, 160user, 12344mag, 29 invisible), 1,875 guests, and 968 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,601
Posts18,454,644
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.