-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Speaking of the standard Fastfire III vs. the Leupold 2.5 MOA dot model - has anybody had both to be able to compare the sharpness of the red dot? I’ve had a couple of Fastfire III models and if the dot is too bright it becomes more of a splat than a sharp dot. If the day is overcast or some other condition that allows you to use the medium or low brightness setting then it becomes nicely rounded and sharp.

I was wondering if the Leupold dot was the same way or whether the 2.5 MOA model has a nicely etched round dot no matter the brightness or lighting conditions?

Or, second question, they make a model with a 7.5 MOA triangle so I’m thinking that should be pretty sharp, a blurry triangle would pretty much defeat the purpose – does anyone have one of those to verify that?

The Leupold is a good bit more expensive than the Burris and has fewer mounting options but for the purpose I'm thinking of a sharp, always clearly defined reticle would be worth the extra money.

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
GB1

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
In those type of sights, the "focus" can vary person to person and obviously is not adjustable. I had one of the triple dot reticles on an eotech for a AR. That reticle just didnt work for me. Never seemed focused and looked more like a blob than 3 dots.

I have the 2.5 dot on a Deltapoint Pro on a G40, and it looks great. Any dot will fuzz up a bit on very high brightness settings

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I have a new DP Pro with the triangle. It is a recent purchase so I have not used it outside and can’t help you with that. Here in East Texas we expect rain all this week so no way I can test it in bright sunlight. This DP Pro will be mounted on a Rem 870 12 ga. Pump and will stay in our bedroom for home protection. The triangle is very clear and sharp inside my home. The DP does not have to be turned on, it comes one when you move it. The battery should last a couple of years.

The FastFire II with an 8 MOA dot that I have has to be turned on to use it. I have the Burris on a Marlin 1894 357 mag rifle. It’s dot does not seem to be as sharp. I also have a JPoint Micro with an 8 MOA dot mounted on my 44 mag Mountain Gun. It has held up will but it has to be switched on to use it. The Trijicon RMR with a 12.9 MOR Triangle that I have does not need to be turned on. It uses fiber optics and tritium which should last 10 to 12 years. But it’s night triangle is not as bright as any of my other red dots. My plan for the Trijicon is to put it on the Mountain Gun and move the JPoint to a turkey shotgun.

To me Leupold’s motion switch is both a positive and a negative. For a gun that will set until needed, the motion on switch is great. But Leupold tells me that the switch will turn on when it is moved such as walking while carrying the gun it is mounted on. It would be on all the time, not just when you move the gun quickly. And that makes it a negative by shortening the battery life. One more thing. I like triangles better than dots.

NRA Life Member
TSRA Life Member

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

525 members (10gaugeman, 204guy, 007FJ, 2500HD, 06hunter59, 1eyedmule, 47 invisible), 2,810 guests, and 1,254 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,597
Posts18,454,376
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.