Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I've got an '04 Tacoma TRD that's my daily driver, but it has 160,000 miles on it

My Wife has a 97 4-runner that we bought new, and it has 160,000 miles on it also

I'm wanting a Wrangler for a daily driver, so I can save miles on my other vehicles.

I don't pull a trailer, and camp in motels now days.

So, this Jeep will be a third vehicle, and just a fun rig for playing in the hills and sand dunes.

I'm selling my V W sandrail to finance part of the Jeep.

I looked at an '02 and it drove Horrible! But, the tires we shot also.

I'm not in a big hurry, Got to get my "other toy" sold first.

Virgil B.

GB1

J
J23 Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I have owned four Jeeps.. a 77 CJ5, a 1999 TJ with the 2.5L 5-speed, and two 2005's, both 4.0L, 6-speeds; one of which I still own.

Having owned both the leaf-sprung CJ, and coil-sprung TJ, I can say that the ride is night and day. I have taken my TJ's on various road trips spanning over 1000 miles with no issues with ride quality or comfort. Granted, with the short wheelbase, they are no Lincoln, but they ride pretty comfortably compared to the CJ's and YJ's of yore.

As far as options, you are on the right track.. you definitely want the 4.0L and either the 5- or 6- speed manual. The later years (I believe 2000 and up) 4.0L used a distributorless ignition system, and I think they went to the Mercedes-built 6-speed manual in 2004. The 6-speed is nice because of the super-low 1st gear, and I think the extra top end gear improves fuel economy. If you don't mind paying a little extra, and can find one, try to snatch up a Rubicon if you can. They came factory equipped with front and rear lockers, stiffer springs, Dana 44's front and rear, as well as the 241 transfer case, which came standard with a slip-yoke eliminator (helpful if you ever lift it,) and a 4 to 1 low range. They're pretty capable little rigs stock.

Not much to look for as far as issues go, obviously rust, and track bars, though easy and cheap to replace, can be a problem area, if you have every heard of "death wobble," the track bar is the cause 99% of the time. If you find yourself cruising down the highway at 60-70 and have death wobble, you'll understand the term; you literally think you're going to die. grin

I have always lifted mine, it's personal taste. I think it makes them a little more capable off-road and look better. Though I don't do much mudding or rock-crawling these days, I still like the feeling that I can take it anywhere I need to go, and honestly, with good springs (Currie, Zone/BDS, OME) and shocks (Bilstein, OME) I think they ride better than stock, usually a little stiffer (not uncomfortable,) yet they feel much more stable. All of mine have had 3-4" lifts and I have always ran 33" tires; I have never lost more than a mile per gallon or two, and never really noticed much of a power loss, even with the 4 cylinder in my 1999, though alot of it depends on the Jeep's gearing.

My most current 2005 is completely stock, but I have the lift, tires and wheels in the barn, waiting to be installed, probably towards the end of summer when I get some time.

Last edited by J23; 05/30/17.

"Ignorance is acceptable, because you can remedy it with knowledge and research. Stupidity is when you guard your ignorance."
Ted Nugent

"Idolizing a politician is like believing the stripper really likes you."
J
J23 Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J

[Linked Image]

This was my previous TJ, a Rocky Mountain Edition with a Zone 4.25" lift, and 33x13.50 Nitto Mud Grapplers. I miss that Jeep, and wish I had never sold it. My current one is Impact Orange.

"Ignorance is acceptable, because you can remedy it with knowledge and research. Stupidity is when you guard your ignorance."
Ted Nugent

"Idolizing a politician is like believing the stripper really likes you."
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I've used jeeps for years as hunting vehicles. I've had a
1948 Willis
1975 CJ 5
1981 CJ 8 x 2
1987 Wrangler
1990 Wrangler
The 1990 had A/C and power steering
[Linked Image]

hasbeen
(Better a has been than a never was!)

NRA Patron member
Try to live your life where the preacher doesn't have to lie at your funeral
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter

More GREAT information!

I know older Jeeps, but am learning lots about the newer Wranglers.

Thanks again!

Virgil B.

IC B2

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
The first year I had my 2000 Wrangler out in the desert doing my usual deer hunting, I ran into several locals with ,modified, older Jeeps. Some of them looked like they had a lot of money sunk in them. But they were envious of mine, stock tires and no lift kit. Why ? Because it had coil spring suspension. Spend a day driving the rough desert washes and canyons, and you realize that those leaf springs, etc. will really take a toll on one. That was an eye opener for me. I find it interesting that both the Ford Raptor and the Ram Power Wagon use softer, less capable rear springs. E

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
The coil springs are why I decided I wanted a newer Wrangler.

They started putting the coil springs in them in 1997.

So, I'm looking at '97 on up, and for one with less than 120,000 miles on it.

And preferably pretty much stock.

Test driving an '04, I was amazed at the difference in ride compared to the older Jeeps that I owned with leaf spring suspension.

I'm older now, and LIKE my creature comforts!

Virgil B.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Coil springs? Dude! Next you'll say you want the heater to work. Maybe even a cupholder.

Tom

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
This takes me back to my army days in the 70's. Jeeps, aka Ford 1/4 tons, had the axles welded to the frames. The heaters were gasoline fired and sat between the front seats. You literally had to wear ear muffs to ride in one when the heaters were running. I can't believe the army could come up with something so stupid when millions of cars out there had perfectly good hot water heaters. Some military contractor made millions selling the government those things.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Went and looked at a 2001 Wrangler Sahara yesterday.

It only had 73,000 miles on it, and set up exactly how I would want one.

Dana 44 rear locker, etc. I checked the add this AM, and it's sold.

Have to sell my other "toy" first anyway.

But, I did have someone looking at the acreage I have for sale yesterday, and have the OK from my Wife to buy a new Rubicon, If and when my land sells.

Thanks again for the advice and tips!

Virgil B.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter

Holy CRAP!!

I was looking at new Rubicons, they're going for 40 Grand!

It would be a shame to run one of these through the brush.

But, they are NICE!

Virgil B.

Y
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Y
Some observations of the conversation here regarding Jeeps, or for that matter any vehicle used off road.
Ive owned a few Jeeps over the years along with a bunch of other 4 wheel drive vehicles such as pickups, suburbans and blazers.
As off road hunting vehicles go, a Jeep Wrangler would be hard to beat. If care is taken as to how you load them, they will hold more
gear than any average hunter will ever need, and also those who aren't average like me.
There is however off road, and then there is off road. There are also times and conditions when just about any vehicle can be taken to
some pretty bad places. And there are also times when all of them might be better left parked from the safety standpoint.
Be that as it may its a short season, and most of us will go even when we know we shouldn't.

( And those are the times when we separate the good off road vehicles from the 4 wheel drive vehicles.)

If your 4 wheel drive vehicle does not have (locking differentals), then you do not have a 4 wheel drive vehicle, you only think you do. Think of it as having life jackets on a boat, you wont need them till you really need them.
Most of us realize that when one wheel loses traction and spins, the other wheel simply stops turning and just sits there doing nothing.
Have that happen on both front and back at the same time and its a recipe for a serious disaster. The very best off road tires are useless
on ice, unless they have studs in them. And it doesent even require ice, a very small amount of packed snow will have the same results,
with the right conditions such as a reasonably steep grade.
This happened to me personally while deer hunting in the mountainous region of PA. My Jeep CJ7 lost traction and started sliding backwards on just a trace of packed snow. There was just one place to go if I couldn't get it stopped in a hurry, and that was over the
edge with nothing to stop the roll. In a panic, I tried the brakes which didn't help. I then tried getting it moving forward again, but in my panic I stalled it when I popped the clutch. It was all over and I knew it, and so did my buddy from boyhood who was with me.
He was killed when he was thrown out and the rolling jeep crushed his skull. God only knows why I was spared, no doubt the steering
wheel and windshield smashed down on me helped me. My friend would have been 83 tomorrow, which is also VE day, and I'm now 82.
You never get over these things, you just learn to cope as best you can.
A couple years later, I bought another Jeep which I still have. An 06 Wrangler unlimited rubicon, now having about 65.000 miles on it.
There is no way the 2 jeeps can be compared. If id had this Jeep back then, the incident would never have happened. But it could also be said that if the CJ had been locked up it wouldn't have either.
One more thing that has haunted me is the fact that I stalled the Jeep when I tried to get it moving again.
I will never again own a stick shift off road vehicle, and I even hate riding in them. Again, there is no comparison as for performance in
tough spots. Truth is its an ego thing and nothing else.

Last edited by yobuck; 06/05/17.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Have that happen on both front and back at the same time and its a recipe for a serious disaster. The very best off road tires are useless
on ice, unless they have studs in them.
Years ago I had an off-the-shelf CJ3A. One hunting trip, we pushed snow with the bumper all the way up an old logging road. On top, we got onto a very flat spot. It was raining a little and the snow was glare ice. We got stuck on the flat with the tires in 1/2" deep depressions. Both ends turning and going nowhere. It was actually kind of funny.

― George Orwell

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
I've owned and used off road lots of vehicles. The biggest thing I've learned is you must understand what you are dealing with and the limitations of your vehicle. Dealing with ice is a lot different than dealing with snow in spite of the fact that they are often found on the same road. There is an old saying, "all a 4WD does for you is take a little further until you get stuck."
BTW, I could have bought a Rubicon Wrangler. But I bought the Willys Wheeler Package instead. It comes with a limited slip, rear differential. I added a Tru-Trac to the front end. Even w/o it, using it every day for a month in remote desert washes and canyons, it has never been stuck. E

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Oheremicus
I've owned and used off road lots of vehicles. The biggest thing I've learned is you must understand what you are dealing with and the limitations of your vehicle. Dealing with ice is a lot different than dealing with snow in spite of the fact that they are often found on the same road. There is an old saying, "all a 4WD does for you is take a little further until you get stuck."
BTW, I could have bought a Rubicon Wrangler. But I bought the Willys Wheeler Package instead. It comes with a limited slip, rear differential. I added a Tru-Trac to the front end. Even w/o it, using it every day for a month in remote desert washes and canyons, it has never been stuck. E

I have a Willys as well and doing the same, adding a trutrac to the front and rear plus 4.56 gears...little better for pulling our overland trailer with the lower gears.

Rob
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter

Question;

Is the housing the same size for the Dana 44 as the smaller rear ends?

Can a Dana 44 be swapped in, or would the whole rear/front end have to be changed out?

Also how about axles ? are they the same?

Virgil B.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
It's not the same housing, so the entire axle would have to swapped. You can't just put 44 "guts" in a 35 axle housing. And aside from the strength issue, the 6cyl Dana 35 came with those 3.07 gears that make anything above a 31" tire a chore. The 4cyl models came with 4.10's in the Dana 35, but not the 6cyl. So you either get 6cyl power and highway gears, or 4cyl power and steep gears, unless you step up to the 44. That being said, gear ratios can always be changed. I'm planning to swap front and rear ring/pinions this summer and am looking at $1,500-1,700 from a reputable shop that does lots of 4x4 Jeep work and knows their stuff. It's worth it to me, as I plan to have my Jeep for a long time.

Now with even more aplomb
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Jeep threads always make me grind my teeth at the utter stupidity of our government. How many Jeep DJ's did they buy for the post office over the last 60 years or so...all with 2 wheel drive? When they wear out, they're junk. Who wants to restore a 2wd? If they spent a little more for 4wd, every one of them would be worth $1000 no matter what condition, especially with those nice sliding door steel cabs. Which side the steering wheel is on is irrelevant most of the time.

― George Orwell

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter

JPro;

Thanks for the information!

Now I know when I buy, I will find one with the Dana 44 rear end.

And if money allows, a Rubicon is my goal, with the Dana 44 in front as well as back.

First step, is to sell my other "toy" ( V W sandrail)

Virgil B.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
This takes me back to my army days in the 70's. Jeeps, aka Ford 1/4 tons, had the axles welded to the frames. The heaters were gasoline fired and sat between the front seats. You literally had to wear ear muffs to ride in one when the heaters were running. I can't believe the army could come up with something so stupid when millions of cars out there had perfectly good hot water heaters. Some military contractor made millions selling the government those things.

We drove from Ft. Bragg to Benning one February, in those jeeps. We had to take the transmission covers off them to get any heat we could off the engine. Those heaters weren't worth a mouse fart. I think that was the only time we ever had the canvas tops installed on them. It was a VERY tedious trip.

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

70 members (35, 10Glocks, 14idaho, 6mmbrfan, 280shooter, 2500HD, 6 invisible), 1,546 guests, and 708 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,599
Posts18,454,536
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.