Print Thread
Hop To
P
powdr Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
P
How can I remove Duracote from some small pieces like a cocking piece, shroud and safety? Thanks, powdr

GB1

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Depends on the finish you desire. Abrasive blasting is the quickest, just leaves a dull finish. If you want a polished finish, just polish it off on your abrasive wheel. It will come off with a little effort.

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Wire wheel it off or bead blast it

R
RAN Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
If you have a steel tank, soak it in acetone, there's no spay on finish that can with stand a soaking in acetone. Use bronze wool to remove. If it was applied without sand blasting the metal, the oringal blueing will be intact.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Agree with Gemby58. Acetone, or bead blast.

I am the way, the truth, and the life: no one comes to the Father but by me. John 14:6
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Had a Winchester Black Shadow that I bought for $250 with a cheap scope that was "CAMOED" Even the scope.. A lot of work but acetone took it all off, the bluing was still perfect. Just let it soak. As others have noted if it was blasted before the Duracoat then the bluing is shot.

R
RAN Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
If Acetone will do it, MEK will be faster.

RAN

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
If nothing will touch it including acetone, battery acid, oven cleaner, muriatic acid or aircraft stripper then you have Cerakote and the only way to remove it is to blast it off.

Cerakote Testing

"Hired Gun" Quickest and fastest all motor sand car on the planet.
3.008 at 104.8 300' of sand.

NRA Patron Life Member, Gunsmith, Instructor, Chief RSO
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by HiredGun
If nothing will touch it including acetone, battery acid, oven cleaner, muriatic acid or aircraft stripper then you have Cerakote and the only way to remove it is to blast it off.

Cerakote Testing

I know acetone will remove it if you soak it in it for a few day, been there done that, that's how I know

IC B3

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Are you saying Duracoat or claiming acetone will take off Cerakote?

If you had cured Cerakote come loose in anyway from an acetone soak NIC is going to want to know about it. Uncured Cerakote rinses right off with acetone but cured that is unheard of. I have soaked a sample of Cerakote for months pulled it out and let people bash on it with hammers, other tools and it will dent or flex with the metal and still not come off. I have a barrel that has lived in a drainage ditch for at least 5 years and it still looks like the day we did it. One half is coated and the other half raw. The raw end looks like a piece of rusty pipe as one would expect steel buried in the ground. We let people bash on it to see the durability and rust resistance. I have been to NIC when we got certified, saw how it is made and watched the testing first hand. Every batch gets tested for color match and durability.

"Hired Gun" Quickest and fastest all motor sand car on the planet.
3.008 at 104.8 300' of sand.

NRA Patron Life Member, Gunsmith, Instructor, Chief RSO
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Re: How to take off Duracote? [Re: powdr]

"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man."
Thomas Jefferson

GeoW, The "Unwoke" ...Let's go Brandon!

"A Well Regulated Militia" Life Member

N
ned Online Content
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
N
Wipe Out/Patch out works. I take the part and soak int in Path Out for a day or two, Duracoat wipes off, repeat as needed for stubborn spots. I learned this trick after noticing it was removing the Duracoat from my muzzles after many cleanings. I've done a complete barreled action this way. No doubt there are better and faster ways, but this does work.

Ride well, shoot straight, and speak the truth.
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by ned
Wipe Out/Patch out works. I take the part and soak int in Path Out for a day or two, Duracoat wipes off, repeat as needed for stubborn spots. I learned this trick after noticing it was removing the Duracoat from my muzzles after many cleanings. I've done a complete barreled action this way. No doubt there are better and faster ways, but this does work.

Sure does, wipe out does remove duracoat also, plus many other bore cleaners. Let it drip out the end of your barrel on your nice duracoat finish over night and see what happens. I use acetone as its cheap and I have a 4" x 48" stainless tube that I soak barrel actions in.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

135 members (44mc, 7887mm08, 007FJ, 7mm_Loco, 10gaugemag, 12 invisible), 1,459 guests, and 783 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,599
Posts18,454,570
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.