Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
T
Tarkio Online Content OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
T
I just listed our camper of CL.

It is VERY clean for a 12 year old camper. Great condition. Put up 4 or 5 really clear pictures.

30 minutes later, I get a text.

Here it is: "Hello am interested in this posting,what is the condition? Is it exactly like it is in the pics? get back to me asap, Cody.."

I responded:

"No. Truth be known, I photoshopped the pictures to remove the bloodstain left from where the previous owner was murdered."

Last edited by Tarkio; 05/22/17. Reason: edited for clarity

Montana MOFO
GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
I've used CL a lot. Invariably, after I place an ad, within a couple hours I'll get a scam email. Never fails. You soon get to where you can spot them in a second.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
No It's a brand new one. I took a pic of a 12 year old camper cause I stupid.

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Recently posted a Swaro spotting scope for sale here at the fire, a few other sites and CL as well. My price is spelled out precisely, and yet I get a text asking if I'd take $1000 despite my price being listed. I sometimes wonder if folks troll CL or if people are truly that stupid..

Shut up and hunt!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
It's tough dealing with these nuckleheads. I always get the offers for about 50 to 60% of asking price with the very tempting caveat, "I've got cash in hand". I always want to tell them, "You've got two hands, fill'em up and get back to me". It's such an odd statement that apparently is too tempting for some to overcome. When I post something for sale, and we reach a deal, it's generally expected that all buyers, when we finalize the deal, must have "cash in hand". I don't care if they have it in hand or not as long as, when the time comes to meet, they then have the agreed amount, "in hand".

Really?!?! You've got cash in hand. Wow! Well, that certainly makes your otherwise unacceptable offer more appealing.

Last edited by TheBigSky; 05/22/17.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
IC B2

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
I have listed quite a few things on CL and nothing until this last posting
I had a 1972 Miller 600D welding machine as well as other things this go around.
I wanted $2500 for it.
I listed it for $3000 this was on Friday 5/19/17
Got two hits on Saturday

The serious one came by and asked what my best price for it was I asked him what he would give me for it. He said $2500 I was going to say $2750 when he told me Cash today and I will help you pull it out of the hole it was in.

I told him it was going to take me several hours to pull it out and he said OK i will help you.

2 1/2 hours latter it was loaded on his truck heeded for China.
Cash in my had and he did about 1/3rd of the work getting it loaded

Two more hits last night on other stuff.

CL can be a pain some times but it delivered this time around.

F
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
F
I know it sounds crazy, but some folks will post photos of stuff from when they first got it 4-5 years before. Others will show pics from "before the hail storm"..... Not defending the guy, but I always hate to waste my time driving to look at stuff based on "old pictures", or finding out that some idiot is trying to sell a car/truck/tractor for thousands of $$$'s, and couldn't be bothered with spending $75 on a battery to start the damn thing...

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I'm shopping for a camper. I saw an ad on Craigslist with a single picture. The ad read "Everything works"

That, and the price.

P

Obey lawful commands. Video interactions. Hold bad cops accountable. Problem solved.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
And if he sprung for the cash what would it have mattered.......

Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny.
Thomas Jefferson

T
Tarkio Online Content OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
T
Read the guy's response. It is broken english at best.

Definitely a scammer.

Which is why, when he asked if it looks like the pictures, I lied and said no, I photoshopped the photos to remove the bloodstain.

Montana MOFO
IC B3

T
Tarkio Online Content OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
T
After I told him there was a big bloodstain that I photoshopped out of the pictures I posted on CL, I get the following:

Great, nice to read from you,Well i saw the pics just wanna be sure, i'm ok with the price and present condition,i mean no insult kindly reply me with the pickup location and zipcode so i can confirm from transport company how much it cost for the moving and delivery, Regards"

Typed exactly how he/she texted to me.

My response:

"No Problem

The location is.....

Just to be clear, you're ok with the bloodstain and the previous owner having been murdered in this camper?"

Montana MOFO
F
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
F
So, did you get his Nigerian money order, yet????😜

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
I think his response was sincere. He's likely used to people selling pure trash on Craigslist which prompted his question. Lots of good buyers on Craigslist who aren't the brightest bulb in the box as well.

Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny.
Thomas Jefferson

T
Tarkio Online Content OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
T
Then the latest response is:

"I forwarded your zipcode and location to my transport company and am okay with the transport charges also, they charged me $750,i think we can have a very good business now,My name is Cody Cooks Hope you have a paypal account for the payment thanks"

Montana MOFO
T
Tarkio Online Content OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by Harry M
I think his response was sincere. He's likely used to people selling pure trash on Craigslist which prompted his question. Lots of good buyers on Craigslist who aren't the brightest bulb in the box as well.

Did you not catch the broken english? The fractured sentences? The canned questions?

I assume most of the initial text messages are computer generated. Follow ups might then be written by someone.

Did you not catch the fact that he doesn't care that I PHOTOSHOPPED the ad pictures? That I photoshopped out a bloodstain?

This is a typical scammer.

I am just having fun playing him along.

Montana MOFO
F
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
F
Tell him your name is Roger Mfume, and you'd like him to wire you the money to your Nigerian bank account. Oh, and the trailer is available for pickup at a campsite just over the Canadian border...

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The usual first red flag is when the first inquiry includes the following: "Is your item still available?".

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
CL is the worst. i sold my car on there a few years ago with the obligatory "i don't need help selling this car, please do not contact me for help selling this car". i got multiple calls/emails for fuggers wanting to help me sell the car.

My diploma is a DD214
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
There is a reason I have some folks blocked on this site.....

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The last scammer I dealt with on CL stopped texting me after I asked for his SS# and mother's maiden name. laugh

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

580 members (11point, 160user, 10gaugemag, 219DW, 06hunter59, 12344mag, 57 invisible), 2,973 guests, and 1,239 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,352
Posts18,468,867
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.