Print Thread
Hop To
T
Tom338 Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
T
If you have a big game combo license already can you apply for a B license and also take a cow elk if there is a B tag available for the zone. And then shoot a bull elk on the big game combo?? Looks like you can, just checking.

Last edited by Tom338; 05/21/17.
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Pretty sure, Yes.

The combination license is basically your hunting license, or in Montana FWP language, your conservation stamp.

If you drew you'll receive a big game combo license in the mail, as well as your elk and deer tags plus any special permits you drew, which says that you can use your deer (or elk) tag in a particular limited entry area. If you just drew a combination license but didn't put in for a limited entry area, then you'll just get your combo license and tags. It also allows you to shoot upland birds and season fishing, BTW.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
In general, yes.

Not knowing exactly what district you are hunting in, it makes it tough to answer but the Elk B is an "extra" antlerless tag that is in addition to your big game combo/general elk tag.

As always, study the reds closely. MT Regs can be complicated.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I believe you can actually buy the B tag over the counter in Montana at any licensing agent location.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by DLSguide
I believe you can actually buy the B tag over the counter in Montana at any licensing agent location.

You can only do this if there is a surplus AFTER the draw and that typically only occurs in a few areas.

I believe the OP was talking the ELK B tag and I'm guessing you are talking about Deer B tags?

IC B2

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Nope. In many of the elk B tag areas there are unlimited cow tags that are available over the counter to both residents and non-residents. Problem is most of those areas have a lot of private ground, so you need to have access before you buy the tag. I live here too.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by DLSguide
Nope. In many of the elk B tag areas there are unlimited cow tags that are available over the counter to both residents and non-residents. Problem is most of those areas have a lot of private ground, so you need to have access before you buy the tag. I live here too.

I stand corrected, guess I need to read the regs closer myself.

I didn't know there were unlimited cow tags in some districts, I did know some districts typically had tags left over after the draw.

Heading to the regs to look now, thanks for the clarification and my apologies for the false info.

Edited to add:

I concede, I hadn't noticed that before. In my defense (also known as lame-azz excuse) the unlimited B tags occur in areas I don't frequent. Weak, I know.

Note to OP, listen to the DLSGuide guy not the Fishn4Eyes dumbphuck! smile

Last edited by FishN4Eyes; 05/22/17. Reason: Clarfication
T
Tom338 Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
T
Where I hunt the B tag is a draw tag. Did a bunch more reading and looks like I could shoot a bull on the general the then a cow on the B if drawn.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

210 members (222ND, 257 mag, 300jimmy, 01Foreman400, 2UP, 18 invisible), 1,506 guests, and 922 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,718
Posts18,457,150
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.