Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
S
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
Finally decided I need a new press, the 30 year old Lee single stage is starting to get loose. Looking at a couple of turret presses, don't think I need a progressive. Most of my loading is for pistols, 38 Special HBWC loads is the one I load for the most. I also reload for about a dozen different rifles/pistols. Just don't really need to load hundreds at a time. Lee Classic Turret, Lyman T Press, Redding 7. Lee is the cheapest, but money is not really the object, looking for quality. Any pros or cons to these presses?
Any advice on a powder measure? I am worried that a powder measure may not be able to throw a 2.7g Bullseye load reliably.

GB1

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
Sounds like an upgrade I just got back in December. I got the new Lyman turret. I have mounted it on my bench but have not used it yet. It seems to be well built for the money.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
I use the Lee Classic Turret, and like it a lot. It's much faster than a single stage. With the Auto Disk or the Adjustable Charge Bar, I think you'll be able to throw small charges well enough.

Be not weary in well doing.
D
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by denton
I use the Lee Classic Turret, and like it a lot. It's much faster than a single stage. With the Auto Disk or the Adjustable Charge Bar, I think you'll be able to throw small charges well enough.

+1 My choice as well for .35 Whelen and down. I throw my charges with a Redding measure though.

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
Redding is a nice turret.

IC B2

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
There is no better than the Redding T7. My opinion of course. Will others do the job? Of course. Mine will never leave the bench.

Society of Intolerant Old Men. Rifle Slut Division
G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
The C-H multi-station H-press is worthy of consideration too. Rugged as heck, precisely built/fitted, no turret to wear out, and lends itself to fairly speedy loading if that's a requirement. Not cheap, but your heir's heirs will probably be the ones to actually wear it out.

Last edited by gnoahhh; 05/22/17.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
S
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
The ones I liked best were the Redding and the Lee, Redding has seven stations, Lee 4. Lee's heads are much cheaper than the Redding's however. I have read that the indexing "plastic
squares" can wear on the Lee, but are cheap to replace.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Redding is better by a long shot, but the Lee is good.

I used to have an old Lee in the garage that I only used for de-capping, to keep the dirty stuff away from the loading bench to keep it clean.

"Supernatural divinities are the primitive's answer to why the sun goes down at night..."
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Back in '67 I bought a complete reloading bench with Lyman tools with a Colt National Match 45. I still use the Lyman turret, but only to seat bullets for 6 different cartridges. All my sizing duties are now done with an RCBS Rockchucker. I inspect the brass after every preperation step anyway, so installing all the dies for one cartridge on a turret press didn't save me any time. If you really want one, the best commonly found is likely the Redding. But as with a single stage, be sure the one you buy doesn't have a ram that "goes over the top" making setting dies more difficult.

Last edited by norske; 05/22/17.
IC B3

S
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
Is the C-H press still current? See a few used ones for sale but nothing that is new.

Still have an old, old Herter's cast iron press if I need some muscle.. It's just not as easy to use.

G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
Yes, go to C-H4D's web site and check out the 444H press. At $325 new retail it ain't cheap like I said, but on the other hand...

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
I load 9mm, 357 mag, and 38spc with the Lee Classic Turret press, and will never give it up. It is solid and repeatable and turns out great ammo.
No regrets.
Not looking at other alternatives.

“Even if you’re on the right track, you’ll get run over if you just sit there.”
--- Will Rogers
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Went with a Redding T7 years ago. My Rockchucker just sits on a shelf now. The Redding is a great press.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Yeah, I've been using a T7 for over a decade, loading rounds from the 9mm Parabellum to .416 Rigby. T7's are very precisely made. I once did a rifle swap with Steelhead, trading him a rifle, dies and cases for one of his rifles, also with dies and cases. He has a T7 too, and the swapped dies worked on our T7's without changing the settings.

Redding has a T7 that Sierra sent them after it loaded one million roads. The press was still working fine, but the guys at Sierra thought Redding should have it. Sierra got another one, of course.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
L
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
L
I'm a slow learner and it took me four progressive presses to find out that my 1960s Texan turret press was more than adequate for my needs. I've used this press for decades. I'm not a big Lee fan, but but I would certainly look hard at the Classic Turret should my Texan ever need replacement. I have a friend with the Redding turret. He likes it well, but I'm sure it's a lot more money than the Lee. Regardless, I think the Redding is also worth considering. Over the years, the cost of a press is recouped many times.

As for a measure, I've had many, but I'd recommend Redding. I have four of theirs, the newest of which is at least twenty-five years old.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by smithrjd
The ones I liked best were the Redding and the Lee, Redding has seven stations, Lee 4. Lee's heads are much cheaper than the Redding's however. I have read that the indexing "plastic
squares" can wear on the Lee, but are cheap to replace.

This is true, but it takes a long time for them to wear and the last time I bought any (admittedly years ago) they were ultra-inexpensive.

To the OP, I would recommend the Lee Classic with auto-indexing. You will need Lee dies for the charge-through powder measure. It will be very reliable with Bullseye or anything else.

G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
I used the LEE 3 hole turret when I first switched from a single stage press and was pleased with it. As stated above the plastic indexing part will wear with use, it is inexpensive to replace. I now use a Ponsness Warren press, while it is a turret it is not progressive it suits my purpose well

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Yeah, I've been using a T7 for over a decade, loading rounds from the 9mm Parabellum to .416 Rigby. T7's are very precisely made. I once did a rifle swap with Steelhead, trading him a rifle, dies and cases for one of his rifles, also with dies and cases. He has a T7 too, and the swapped dies worked on our T7's without changing the settings.

Redding has a T7 that Sierra sent them after it loaded one million roads. The press was still working fine, but the guys at Sierra thought Redding should have it. Sierra got another one, of course.

I used a Redding T25 for fifteen years of professional shooting, a few years ago I purchased a T-7 as a replacement and am happy which the purchase, though I did cut that mongrel lump of iron off the front as I prime with a Forster priming tool.

The T25 is still being used by another Kangaroo shooter in town, and when he gives up shooting I shall get it back.

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Redding T7.

μολὼν λαβέ
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

579 members (1234, 1Longbow, 1beaver_shooter, 17CalFan, 10gaugeman, 12344mag, 54 invisible), 2,663 guests, and 1,068 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,313
Posts18,468,282
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.