Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
or $25 on the bigger items, depending on the bidding increments. The good news is I'm first runner up! laugh I must not be cut out to run with the big dogs.

LOL
GB1

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
When it comes to auctions I don't look at it as something I "win." I look at it like I'm buying something from a store. I have a set price in mind that I'm willing to go up to and not over. Sometimes I put that amount down right off the bat and sometimes it scares the other bidders away. But I don't look back if somebody out bids me because at the end of the day I still have the cash in my pocket and I know that there'll likely be something else coming down the pike real soon that will tug on my purse strings. And again, if I don't get it then I still have the cash in hand and as everyone I've ever know who is has been in the sales biz always says - "cash is king." There must be a damn good reason for that saying.

"The universal aptitude for ineptitude makes any human accomplishment an incredible miracle." John Stapp - "Stapp's Law"
"Klaatu barada nikto"

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Well, I made that dude pay dearly for that 30-30 takedown barrel.

LOL
G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
Sometimes when I lose an auction, I wipe the sweat off my brow and go "Whew, dodged that bullet. WTH was I thinking in the first place?" Sometimes when I win I say much the same thing.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Online auctions are won/lost in the final few seconds. Bidding before that is folly.

In that timeframe I post the most I want to spend and don't look back.

IC B2

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Yup was on a vintage marbles sight last night on ebay we bid her up good in the last 30 seconds! I lost tho!

Deer Camp! about as good as it gets!
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
At least with Gunbroker any bid received in the last 15 minutes adds 15 minutes to the auction until all bidding is done. Gives a guy a chance anyhow. Those snipers on eBay are scientists with their two seconds left bids!

LOL
G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
At least with online auctions I can resist "auction fever" and not get carried away with my spending. It's the local live auctions, especially a certain gun auction I attend a couple times a year, where I confess to the "fever" overriding my good sense some times. Geez, I hate that! But sometimes those local yokels need to be taught a lesson (or I need to be taught a lesson)!!

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by gnoahhh
At least with online auctions I can resist "auction fever" and not get carried away with my spending. It's the local live auctions, especially a certain gun auction I attend a couple times a year, where I confess to the "fever" overriding my good sense some times. Geez, I hate that! But sometimes those local yokels need to be taught a lesson (or I need to be taught a lesson)!!

Made me chuckle Gary.

LOL
L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Before the turn of the century I was in need of a butt stock for a 99A saddle gun. Alas! one day it is there on ebay. I bid immediately - and then I am outbid - and then I bid...and...

Near the end I put $1,000 on it and went to bed. I won and after putting the gun all back together I was able to sell it for only $10 less than I had in it.

Lesson learned on my part!

IC B3

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by Fireball2
Well, I made that dude pay dearly for that 30-30 takedown barrel.

Well damn, that's got to be worth something right there! Auctions are intended to bring top dollar to the seller and they generally are not the environ of bargains. Buyer beware!

Last edited by S99VG; 05/22/17.

"The universal aptitude for ineptitude makes any human accomplishment an incredible miracle." John Stapp - "Stapp's Law"
"Klaatu barada nikto"

G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by Lightfoot
Before the turn of the century I was in need of a butt stock for a 99A saddle gun. Alas! one day it is there on ebay. I bid immediately - and then I am outbid - and then I bid...and...

Near the end I put $1,000 on it and went to bed. I won and after putting the gun all back together I was able to sell it for only $10 less than I had in it.

Wow, you must be old, Mike! I didn't know they made 99A Saddle Guns in the 1890's.

Oh, different century.

Neat when you stop and think about it: our Savages span 3 centuries now.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Reminds me of that meatloaf song. End of time ?

"Shoot low sheriff, I think he's riding a shetland!" B. Wills

G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
"I Saw Paradise by the Campfire Light" That song? grin

pal Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I keep losing the auction by $5...or $25 on the bigger items...

When you get serious you'll start bidding to win.

"There's more to optics than meets the eye."--anon

"...most of us would be better off losing half a pound around the waist than half a pound on our rifle."--dhg

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
I did want that darned 30-30 barrel for a 99G I got from pwdr, but I quit about at about $300. I felt like a high roller, but alas someone else ate oats for breakfast while I had milquetoast.

LOL
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Yep that is the song all right.

"Shoot low sheriff, I think he's riding a shetland!" B. Wills

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I just got an extra bolt for my 1919 NRA on ebay. Mine was missing the cocking piece and this one had it. With about an hour to go some one else finally opened the bid at $34.99. With about 4 or 5 minutes left I put $50 on it. There were several more bids that got it up to $41 and time ran out and I got it. I didn't snipe them, and I don't have a bidding program to snipe them, but I do wait till the last minute. Tomorrow I'll be bidding on GB for a rifle,( Ratz, no posting live auctions)(no I'm not gonna tell you what it is, then you might decide you need one too)( not talking about you Roy, just poking fun at the auction rules), and I'll wait till the last minute and put my max $100 over the current bid and let the auto bid do it's stuff. I like the 15 min rule on GB, but it does take the fun out of watching two people bid 20 times, and then jumping in with 1 bid at the last minute and winning. I know they would like to scalp me, but it's all part of the game. Usually when I put my max bid down and let auto bid do it's stuff I win, for less than my Max. But I only buy one or two guns a year, so I go for broke, Joe.

I'm not greedy, I just want one of each.

Remember Ira Hayes

JoeMartin
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I did want that darned 30-30 barrel for a 99G I got from pwdr, but I quit about at about $300. I felt like a high roller, but alas someone else ate oats for breakfast while I had milquetoast.

Unfortunately online auctions always put you up against the guy who has the deepest pockets and who is burning with the fever to take the item. And there's always a bunch of those guys out there who blow through Franklins like I go through dimes. So what are ya goin' to do?!

"Klaatu barada nikto"

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Dammit man, stay away from them post mil scrap heaps

Long Live The Judge

Thinking of moving to Florida? Don't........
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

230 members (2ndwind, 240NMC, 204guy, 10gaugemag, 1minute, 1_deuce, 35 invisible), 2,238 guests, and 1,125 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,715
Posts18,457,081
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.