a little milk replacer works good to attract

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

corn on the cob ,

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
The actual bait doesn’t matter a bunch if it smells or makes them wonder. Cheapest Vaseline with Watkins flavoring of many sorts; anise works really well. Very cheap and affective. Place a couple large marshmallows outside of trap, one in trap before pan, and one or two in back of trap...1 has your pure rubbed on it. The white marshmallow baits the smell and easy to see... they munch them down all the way to the back of your trap. I would suggest a Wickenkamp trap. Made for coon trappers by a trapper. My brother and him caught up to 190 some coons opening night and roughly 800 in a week to 10 days. My first year I caught 256.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
corn and Minnie marshmallows

DEATH BEFORE DISHONOR

I LOVE MY COUNTRY IT'S THE GOV'T I FEAR
IC B2

F
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
F
Best bait i ever used was persimmons and grandma's molasses stirred to a paste with stars removed first. Paid college tuitions that way.....

If it ain't broke don't fix it!!!!!!!!!!!
Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
I use cheap cat food, open can a little bit, punch a couple of holes in the side, tie wire to back of cage.

Have wired t-bones to back of cage too

Last edited by hanco; 03/15/21.
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
New Jersey must grow smart raccoons or I'm a dumb Pollak. I have been trying for months to catch a coon in a Hav a Heart and he either rips it apart to get out or grabs the food and tip toes out. I'll put some honey on the trigger tonight. Last nite he went in, took the sushi, and backed out. Can't shoot him here.

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Never had any luck with the box traps. Can't legally transport live critters here either. Went to dog-proof (DP) traps and scored after they started to go after our layers. ZTraps with diced hot dog just over the push/pull trigger. Going to try small marshmallows with a slather of grape jelly as the weather dries out more. Get an old baseball bat from a thrift store if you can swing but not shoot....

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by gunswizard
I added some corn and dry dog food to the sardines and peanut butter, honey, molasses. This morning I had a nice big coon in the trap, he had cleaned up all the corn and dog food and appeared to have given the peanut butter some attention.
There's a nature preserve about a mile from the house, took him for a ride and released him there. He scampered happily from the trap to explore his new home.

That raccoon may have beat you home.

NRA Patron
IC B3

G
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
Tried baiting box traps with sardines/tuna, luck was so-so. Dry dog food got 'em every time. Leave a trail up to the trap and a hardware cloth bag full of dog chow wired to the back of the cage.

F
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
F
If you are near a residential area, I would be careful using dog or cat food or sardines as you might end up with a dog or cat in the traps. I use DP traps and marshmallows or jelly. Usually only a coon will go to something sweet like these.

"The choices you make dictate the life you lead"
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Is there a bait that works on raccoons that doesn’t attract possums?

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by Snowwolfe
Buy one or two Duke coon traps and bait them with small marshmellows.

This works like a charm

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
THIS

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Marshmallows work great for coon and skunk and probably other critters.

I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
A coon cuff trap is the best I seen yet. I use some old peanut butter.

But the fruits of the spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness,faithfulness, Gentleness and self control. Against such things there is no law. Galations 5: 22&23
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
before you reset your have a heart trap dig a small hole put half of the sardines in the can and bury them around a half inch deep,but before you bury these sardines put the other half in bowl ,then stake the trap down once its set, now put the rest of the sardines in the back past the trip pan pour all the juice on the ground back there too. this will catch any smart coon or opossum . deal with this problem a lot other wise i use a movement lite on my bird post and feed a few away and shoot coon,possum or whatever at nite but you gotten then leave window cracked and rifle ready i use a 22 Hornet always, 22 L.R. just is not enough to kill coons or possum as easy we get some good sized coons in Minnesota.

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
My favorite and most productive method was using a plastic pickle bucket with a fish wired to the back of the bucket. in the opening, I cut two notches to placed the cocked springs of a 220 conibear. I used some wire to keep anything that lived from dragging my bucket away. In two seasons using one bucket right out in plain sight I caught 35 feral house cats, 3 skunks, 20+ coons, a mink. and a beaver yes, a big beaver, by the head. Nothing was ever found alive, and nothing got away.
It was a lot of fun and the nearby neighbors thanked me for doing it.
If I was younger and could get around like I used to, I would do it again. I almost forgot-----I caught a hen Mallard there also.

I also used that same set up catching cats that were eating my son's chickens at night.

The pickle bucket was one of the 5 gallon variety---a similar bucket like a paint bucket would be the same. The 220's jaws filled the opening perfectly.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
We have strong raccoons here. One literally pried open the back of the have a heart trap and squeezed out. Now he's educated and won't go near it.

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
359 members (280shooter, 204guy, 29aholic, 10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 16penny, 44 invisible), 2,254 guests, and 1,088 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,724
Posts18,400,599
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.