Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
G
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
I have a problem coon and have put out a Haveaheart box trap hoping to catch and relocate him. What should I use for bait? Currently I have it baited with sardines, suggestions sought.

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Sardines work pretty well. When I trapped raccoons, I used to make a bait out of lightly tainted chunks of carp, mixed with honey, and a little beaver castor. Drove 'em nuts! Used a similar mix for fox, but instead of carp, used groundhog and/or feral cat.

Jeff

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
I use corn.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Anything sweet.

Y
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Y
I use Jack Mackerel.

IC B2

Owl Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've not trapped too many coons. Maybe 1/2 dozen when I was a kid. An old can of spoiled tuna fish did the trick... along with a handful of dog food leading towards the trap. I used a conibear 220 trap in a square 5 gallon bucket.

James Pepper: There's no law west of Dodge and no God west of the Pecos. Right, Mr. Chisum? John Chisum: Wrong, Mr. Pepper. Because no matter where people go, sooner or later there's the law. And sooner or later they find God's already been there.
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Take the top off the cheapest can of cat food you can find. Dig a little hole for the can.
Put the trap, with the trigger over the can. Anchor the trap so it can't be tipped over or moved.

--- CAUGHT IN THE CROSSFIRE --- A Magic Time To Be An Illegal In America---
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Marshmallows work...

Defend the Constitution
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
marshmallows, peanut butter, dry catfood, calf milk replacer, jelly donuts, draws them in and don't stink. I would relocate them to another world

Last edited by blanket; 05/23/17.
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
When I trapped wild 'coons I used the cheapest sardines I could find. Trapping 'coons in a suburban setting, I use dry dog food because that is what they are shopping for.

RS

IC B3

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
try the cheap honey buns.... trapper told me about it and they worked the few times I put them out.

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die, I want to go where they went"
Will Rogers
C
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
C
A half a handful of cocktail peanuts sprinkled near the trip plate.
Even a careful coon will be overcome with greed trying to get them all and forget what's going on, snap!

"Camping places fix themselves in your mind as if you had spent long periods of your life in them.
You will remember a curve of your wagon track in the grass of the plain like the features of a friend."
Isak Dinesen

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
I used to catch them, bring into work, let them loose in parking lot when everyone was rushing in. Fun to watch the guys dodging that coin.

G
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
I added some corn and dry dog food to the sardines and peanut butter, honey, molasses. This morning I had a nice big coon in the trap, he had cleaned up all the corn and dog food and appeared to have given the peanut butter some attention.
There's a nature preserve about a mile from the house, took him for a ride and released him there. He scampered happily from the trap to explore his new home. Set the trap again to see if there were any others in the area. Since many of the neighbors
have bird feeders at times we have several coons cleaning up what the birds drop.

J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
Dry cat food works the best for me.

I am MAGA.
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
If the preserve was only a mile away, odds are good it is not new ground and the raccoon will be back in your neighborhood in a couple of days if not already. If I can't shoot them, I drop the trap in a body of water and drown them. There is no shortage of coons and "transplanting" them in a truly unfamiliar territory typically leads to their death due to traffic, predators, disease, elements, etc. drowning may seem cruel but it is no worse and often quicker than the other forms of death they will be exposed to.

Besides, you are merely taking your problem animal and dumping it on someone else's doorstep for them to deal with. Own up and deal with the problem rather than pass it off for others to deal with.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by gunswizard
I added some corn and dry dog food to the sardines and peanut butter, honey, molasses. This morning I had a nice big coon in the trap, he had cleaned up all the corn and dog food and appeared to have given the peanut butter some attention.
There's a nature preserve about a mile from the house, took him for a ride and released him there. He scampered happily from the trap to explore his new home. Set the trap again to see if there were any others in the area. Since many of the neighbors
have bird feeders at times we have several coons cleaning up what the birds drop.
It will be back, as I said relocate the to another world

G
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
Had #2 in the trap this morning, a young female the first was a fair size boar. I am going to leave the trap set thru the weekend, I'm doing this as a favor to my next door neighbor, the neighborhood assoc. usually calls in a pro to deal with the problem. Last year they relocated
25+ coons.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The "pro" is a genius.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I like a mix of dry cat food, jelly beans and marshmallows in my dog proof traps

Dave

�The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely to be the one who dropped it.� Lou Holtz

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I used to make a bait out of lightly tainted chunks of carp, mixed with honey, and a little beaver castor. Drove 'em nuts!

That is cool! No need to even bother with a trap.

1Minute
M
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
M
This might sound funny, but watermelon or cantaloupe is the best. Especially if you are trying to get them to go into a live trap. Some are just too cautious. I have trapped coon all my life to relocate, or turn loose and train dogs. You can believe they will risk anything to get to the taste of watermelon or cantaloupe. If you just want to kill them use a coffee can set...find a stream, dig back into the bank so a coffee can will fit back in the hole, fill it with bait and set a 220 conibear trap in front of it. Make sure it is legal to use 220 kill traps on dry land in your state...it has been outlawed in a lot of places.

Edit; also, if you intend to relocate make sure it's legal to have them live in possession...many states have outlawed this too because of rabies. No sense solving one problem and creating another, like paying a usually big fine.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
I have found that marshmallows and /or canned cat food and a 220 conibear works great.

NRA Patron
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Conibears are probably not a good choice in a residential area,jmo

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Grape jelly, marshmellows, fruits/mellons and sweets will not attract dogs or cats.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Cheapest dog/cat food with small morsels, mix with grape or cherry coolaid mix, some cheap sugar, anise oil, mini-marshallows, and peanuts if they're cheap. Sprinkle it all with high-fructose corn syrup and mix it up.

Deadly, kinda like a party mix for raccoons.

Oh yeah, of course, cobs of fresh sweet corn cut up into pieces, if it's available.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Large marsh mallows with a smear of plumb loco will tear them up.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I have heard that a wadded up piece of aluminum foil works well. Curiosity kills em.

G
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
The peanut butter, honey and molasses mix was like coon nip, I had three coon in as many nights. I hung the peanut butter mix from the top of the trap far enough back that the coon couldn't avoid stepping on the pedal, a trail of dry dog food lured them right in.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Buy one or two Duke coon traps and bait them with small marshmellows.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
They like anise and naturally black licorice. You can use anise oil for bait, and put some on a rag up on a branch to get the odor distributed.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I use dog proof traps and dry cat food. Have also used trail mix, with nuts and M&M's, and marshmellows. I do not "relocate".

P
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
P
Deer meat scraps, trout heads and an egg put in a glass bottle and buried for a month or two, deadly in a dirt hole set....

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
G
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
Peanut butter, honey and molasses worked like a charm. Three coons in successive nights, made a trail of dogfood to entice them into the trap.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by akjeff
Sardines work pretty well. When I trapped raccoons, I used to make a bait out of lightly tainted chunks of carp, mixed with honey, and a little beaver castor. Drove 'em nuts! Used a similar mix for fox, but instead of carp, used groundhog and/or feral cat.

Jeff

Where do you find carp taint?

wink

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by JamesJr
I use dog proof traps and dry cat food. Have also used trail mix, with nuts and M&M's, and marshmellows. I do not "relocate".

I have relocated many critters... usually the utilized variable is on the "Z" axis... you know, the one registering depth...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
I don't know if it would work as well on a dry land live trap, but when I trapped corn, especially sweet corn, caught a 'coon every single time I used it in a water set.

Raccoons respond well to "eye bait".

My neighbor was a long time 'coon trapper and 'coon hunter. He used to use a Juicy Fruit gum wrapper in the back of a foot on 4 inch clay tile jammed into the bank for water sets. Cheap, no stink and it even worked on a mink or two.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Sitka deer

Jeff

wink

Between the pelvic anal fins. smile

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
Dry cat food works the best for me.

Me too. I put it in a small can like tuna or wet cat food comes in.

I agree with the advice about staking down the trap and also put it against a wall with a heavy bucket on the other side if it is on a concrete floor. The trap that I have the best results with is a Tru-Catch. They are really heavy duty and have a pretty much foolproof release system. .

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
He probably meant " 'taint carp".

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Sitka deer

Jeff

wink

Between the pelvic anal fins. smile

Also, colloquially referred to as carp choat.

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Hawbackers Wildcat works pretty well.....I can't keep the bastards out of my Cat sets.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I take a mason jar lid , turn it upside down and wire it down in the middle of the cage.Otherwise they will reach in from the outside. I put peanut butter and grape jelly mix in the lid for their last meal.

F
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
F
can of tuna always works for me

S
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
S
I will help revive an old thread by suggesting dry dog food with a splash of liquid smoke in my dog proofs.

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
I've found dog proof traps to work much better than live traps. I use dry dog or cat food and drip a little fish oil on it. Next I place a golf ball on top and drip a few drops of fish oil on the ball too. The golf ball helps keep the bait dry from rain or sprinklers and might discourage cats from getting caught.

I've caught 65 coons in my back yard in the last two years and I live in town. Got 32 last summer and 33 the year before. I don't bother to trap from Nov. 1 till March 1 because they aren't as active in my area.

I set six traps in clusters of three per set which helps to get more family members passing through because when one gets caught the others mill around it and get caught too. I dispatch them by bopping them on the head with a pipe while blinding them with a flashlight early in the dark morning. Their carcass gets bagged and put in garage freezer and then on garbage day they go into the dumpster. I imagine they are getting buried at the landfill before they even thaw.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
If the ones that kept visiting Cookie's wall tent this past fall are any indication, anything from a bag of flour to an old copy of Readers Digest should work. I swear they will try anything in camp.
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Last edited by 1minute; 02/04/21.

1Minute
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Sardines

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by FieldGrade
Hawbackers Wildcat works pretty well.....I can't keep the bastards out of my Cat sets.

Still miss ya Ol buddy.

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I've found dry dogfood with bacon grease mixed in works well, damn skunks like it a lot too.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Cheap fruit cups to avoid neighbor's cats.

A
ATC Online Content
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
A
Sardines always worked for me.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
judman he was the most down to earth man on the fire . i had a lot of pms with him about cat traping and just every day stuff .i miss him to wish i would have meet him in person

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Anything fishy or sweet smelling. Use some sort of visual aid in the trap too. I've used Cotton balls, golf balls. Tin foil...

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 44mc
judman he was the most down to earth man on the fire . i had a lot of pms with him about cat traping and just every day stuff .i miss him to wish i would have meet him in person

Check your PMs 44mc.

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by 44mc

He was a dandy in person, wish there were more folks like him in this world

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Marshmallows. Like crack to them.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
10 g pm checked

J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
Originally Posted by CrowRifle

And some grape jelly.

Cat food and fish oil catches cats better than coons.

Cats dont like marshmallows.

I am MAGA.
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
Originally Posted by CrowRifle

And some grape jelly.

Cat food and fish oil catches cats better than coons.

Cats dont like marshmallows.

This cat does!

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
W
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
W
Captain Crunch.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
a little milk replacer works good to attract

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

corn on the cob ,

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
The actual bait doesn’t matter a bunch if it smells or makes them wonder. Cheapest Vaseline with Watkins flavoring of many sorts; anise works really well. Very cheap and affective. Place a couple large marshmallows outside of trap, one in trap before pan, and one or two in back of trap...1 has your pure rubbed on it. The white marshmallow baits the smell and easy to see... they munch them down all the way to the back of your trap. I would suggest a Wickenkamp trap. Made for coon trappers by a trapper. My brother and him caught up to 190 some coons opening night and roughly 800 in a week to 10 days. My first year I caught 256.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
corn and Minnie marshmallows

DEATH BEFORE DISHONOR

I LOVE MY COUNTRY IT'S THE GOV'T I FEAR
F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Best bait i ever used was persimmons and grandma's molasses stirred to a paste with stars removed first. Paid college tuitions that way.....

If it ain't broke don't fix it!!!!!!!!!!!
Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
I use cheap cat food, open can a little bit, punch a couple of holes in the side, tie wire to back of cage.

Have wired t-bones to back of cage too

Last edited by hanco; 03/15/21.
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
New Jersey must grow smart raccoons or I'm a dumb Pollak. I have been trying for months to catch a coon in a Hav a Heart and he either rips it apart to get out or grabs the food and tip toes out. I'll put some honey on the trigger tonight. Last nite he went in, took the sushi, and backed out. Can't shoot him here.

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Never had any luck with the box traps. Can't legally transport live critters here either. Went to dog-proof (DP) traps and scored after they started to go after our layers. ZTraps with diced hot dog just over the push/pull trigger. Going to try small marshmallows with a slather of grape jelly as the weather dries out more. Get an old baseball bat from a thrift store if you can swing but not shoot....

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by gunswizard
There's a nature preserve about a mile from the house, took him for a ride and released him there. He scampered happily from the trap to explore his new home.

That raccoon may have beat you home.

NRA Patron
G
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
Tried baiting box traps with sardines/tuna, luck was so-so. Dry dog food got 'em every time. Leave a trail up to the trap and a hardware cloth bag full of dog chow wired to the back of the cage.

F
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
F
If you are near a residential area, I would be careful using dog or cat food or sardines as you might end up with a dog or cat in the traps. I use DP traps and marshmallows or jelly. Usually only a coon will go to something sweet like these.

"The choices you make dictate the life you lead"
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Is there a bait that works on raccoons that doesn’t attract possums?

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by Snowwolfe
Buy one or two Duke coon traps and bait them with small marshmellows.

This works like a charm

R
Campfire Tracker
Online Happy
Campfire Tracker
R

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
THIS

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Marshmallows work great for coon and skunk and probably other critters.

I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
A coon cuff trap is the best I seen yet. I use some old peanut butter.

But the fruits of the spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness,faithfulness, Gentleness and self control. Against such things there is no law. Galations 5: 22&23
P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
before you reset your have a heart trap dig a small hole put half of the sardines in the can and bury them around a half inch deep,but before you bury these sardines put the other half in bowl ,then stake the trap down once its set, now put the rest of the sardines in the back past the trip pan pour all the juice on the ground back there too. this will catch any smart coon or opossum . deal with this problem a lot other wise i use a movement lite on my bird post and feed a few away and shoot coon,possum or whatever at nite but you gotten then leave window cracked and rifle ready i use a 22 Hornet always, 22 L.R. just is not enough to kill coons or possum as easy we get some good sized coons in Minnesota.

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
My favorite and most productive method was using a plastic pickle bucket with a fish wired to the back of the bucket. in the opening, I cut two notches to placed the cocked springs of a 220 conibear. I used some wire to keep anything that lived from dragging my bucket away. In two seasons using one bucket right out in plain sight I caught 35 feral house cats, 3 skunks, 20+ coons, a mink. and a beaver yes, a big beaver, by the head. Nothing was ever found alive, and nothing got away.
It was a lot of fun and the nearby neighbors thanked me for doing it.
If I was younger and could get around like I used to, I would do it again. I almost forgot-----I caught a hen Mallard there also.

I also used that same set up catching cats that were eating my son's chickens at night.

The pickle bucket was one of the 5 gallon variety---a similar bucket like a paint bucket would be the same. The 220's jaws filled the opening perfectly.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
We have strong raccoons here. One literally pried open the back of the have a heart trap and squeezed out. Now he's educated and won't go near it.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by Dusty246
We have strong raccoons here. One literally pried open the back of the have a heart trap and squeezed out. Now he's educated and won't go near it.

I have the same trap, I wired the back door closed, permanently, I have caught hundreds of coons with it , they are great traps and well worth the money, mine also has a ten inch cement block setting on top of it so they can not roll it over, the only damage to it is the wire that I have shot off killing the damn things, they catch cats as well as skunks so placement is important, marshmallows seem to limit the skunk catches.

Writing here is Prohibited by the authorities.
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
A racoon caught trying to walk through a 220 conibear is dead in a minute or so,. I have seen box traps get round (shaped) after having a coon in it for a length of time.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
We have caught 10 coon out of the yard so far with a live trap and the best bait so far has been a soup can with nothing in it. No kidding. They can't stand not knowing what it is. Next is SMALL marshmallows

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I use a 220 Conibear in a 5 gallon bucket set with dry dog food as bait. (I tried Live traps and the coons destroyed 2 different makes!)
Works like a champ. Dead coon almost every morning in the fall. It's nothing for me to get a couple 35-40 pounders every year.
This is next to my house in the far suburbs of Chicago!

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I have a squirrel problem this year and have been trapping them in a cheap Harbor Freight live trap. I relocated 31 (so far) of them since I started trapping them in early May. I use a saltine cracker with a good dollop of peanut butter. I usually spring the trap at sundown, but sometimes I forget. When I do forget and leave them set overnight I catch raccoons. I've caught 5 or so this year and the cheap HF trap holds them. Peanut butter gets them every time for me, even though I don't want them.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Caught 20 coons, 14 skunks and a feral cat this month with DP cuff traps. I just use fish food (pellets) because that’s what I have on hand. I think we’ve got them thinned out, haven’t caught any for a couple of days now.

These DP traps are the schizzle compared to the have a hearts or ordinary leg holds. This is the first time I’ve ever been able to get on top of the coon population around the farm.

Sic Semper Tyrannis
Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
Cheap cat 🥘 food

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Don’t buy a haveaheart trap. I would suggest if wanting a live animal trap… Wickenkamp. Made in Martinsburg, IA and you will not be disappointed. The coons will not tear them up. 2-3 adult men can stand on the trap and move it around and it won’t go off…lightly touch pan and boom the door is down. Head shots of n the trap are easy. The guy who makes them essentially started the live trap theme with his dad 50 years ago. Leon Wickenkamp. Best trap you ever should have bought.

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Liver sausage and a swift, humane end.

The Rifle is the Weapon of Democracy
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Fruit cups to avoid feral and house cats.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I've found them especially fond of M&M's, but I think near anything edible should work.

Last edited by 1minute; 12/19/21.

1Minute
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Hang a plastic spoon or tin foil from the top of the trap. (Reusable) Then a few squirts of fish oil in and around the trap.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Just got through setting my dog-proof traps. I used dry cat food this time. Have used marshmellows, added jelly to them. used canned cat food, and sardines. I've also put a few drops of vanilla on the bait, and that works good too.

Most anything will catch a coon, but will also catch a possum and the occasional skunk. Since they all destroy turkey nests, and will eat my chickens, I'm just glad to get rid of them.

I had my son pull the traps last week when I was too sick to run them, and now that I'm over that crap, I'm ready to go back to catching something. Since Thanksgiving, I've caught about 6 or 7 coons, and a few possums.

G
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
I tried sardines and peanut butter, but found they simply cannot resist dog food kibbles. Make a trail leading up to the trap and hang a handful in a window screen bag just behind the treadle. Traps baited this way always had a coon inside in the morning.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by 9Legend
Hang a plastic spoon or tin foil from the top of the trap. (Reusable) Then a few squirts of fish oil in and around the trap.

The very first coon I caught was in a small leg hold trap that had the pan wrapped in tinfoil and set under a bridge in shallow water.
I was too young to have a gun so I tried to kill the coon by dropping a rock on it from the bridge above. I had wired the trap to a log and it gave the coon quite a range of motion, it scared me as it would lunge at me if I got too close. After several failed attempts with rocks, I decided to walk to my cousins about a mile away and borrow a gun to finish the job. I remember it like it was yesterday.

"I was born in the log cabin I helped my grandfather build"
R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
for a box trap I used lucky charms
worked great they get greedy eating all that sugar and forget about where they are placing their feet
spread a little on the outside to tease them and a handful inside

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

628 members (1234, 10gaugemag, 160user, 1lessdog, 007FJ, 1lesfox, 65 invisible), 2,746 guests, and 1,258 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,367
Posts18,469,093
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.