Print Thread
Hop To
K
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
K
Rings and mounts on my buddies 99 EG looks like 2 screws on front base
and 1 at rear of mount. Non factory drilled. Rings are smooth at the top, are they split or how do they attach to scope? [Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

kk alaska

Alaska 7 months of winter then 5 months of tourists
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Last time I looked Buheler was still in business and had a web site. You might try google and the site should come up. If it does all your questions will be answered. Sorry, I'm in the house and all my reference material is out in the gun room and I can't remember of the top of my head the difference between Buheler and Control.

Go tell the Spartans,Travelers passing by,That here,Obedient to their laws we lie.

I'm older now but I'm still runnin' against the wind

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I think some of the older Buehler rings did not split. You had to slip them over the ends of the scope like the rear ring of a Stith.

"The universal aptitude for ineptitude makes any human accomplishment an incredible miracle." John Stapp - "Stapp's Law"
"Klaatu barada nikto"

L
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by S99VG
I think some of the older Buehler rings did not split. You had to slip them over the ends of the scope like the rear ring of a Stith.

Correct.

K
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
K
The rings are smooth on the top so do you have to remove the ocular to put on the back ring? Scope is an older Weaver with fine CH. Mounts look like they use the back factory hole. Mount looks like it has 2 holes in the front and 1 in the rear.

kk alaska

IC B2

L
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
Yes, the ocular must come off.

Rear hole is also an extra D&T.

I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
Interesting tidbit on Maynard P Buehler is that his house in Orinda, CA was designed/built by the great architect Frank Lloyd wright back in the 1940's.

dave

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Brand New Scope Mounts Available Soon
As many of us are painfully aware, Maynard P. Buehler, Inc. no longer manufactures what is arguably one the best scope mount systems ever devised. My company intends to correct this problem.
Some time ago a customer of mine purchased a Mauser 24/47 rifle. His intent was to "sporterize" it. He came to me to have the bolt modified so that a large scope could be mounted. The original bolt arrangement would have been inoperable due to interference with the scope.
He wanted Buehler Scope Mounts but had not managed to find any. He had contacted someone at Buehler who told him that the Buehler estate was being liquidated and only a few items remained in stock.
He managed to occasionally find individual mount pieces, such as scope rings, on the internet but was often outbid. A friend of his, with the same rifle, managed to get a set of Mauser 98 front and rear bases for his rifle and my customer managed a front base from an FN Mauser.
I told him I could make him a brand new rear base from scratch. I did some research and found the types of steel Buehler used to make the various mount parts and purchased them. I reverse engineered his friend's rear mounts, made all the necessary tooling and produced a brand new Mauser 98 rear base. My customer showed this new base to a former Buehler employee who declared it to look better than the originals did.
I am currently tooling up for the front base. It turns out that the front part of the 24/47 Mauser receiver is smaller than the 98 and FN Mauser so a 20 mil shim is required if the 98/FN front base is used on 24/47.
Anyway, I intend to tool up for all the Buehler products as dictated by demand. Production of the Buehler mount system is very tooling intensive and will require samples for each receiver type for reverse engineering. I have several of the more common rifle brands myself. I will also be producing all of the special screws and other hardware.
I would like to get feedback from anyone out there that has similar problems finding Buehler hardware. I feel that it's borderline criminal to not have Buehler type scope mounts available on the retail market!

Can't believe it's been over ten years since I last visited the Buehler web site. Way behind times as he passed away in 2005.

Go tell the Spartans,Travelers passing by,That here,Obedient to their laws we lie.

I'm older now but I'm still runnin' against the wind

K
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
K
What would a fair price be for the rifle? 250 Savage not factory drilled for a scope.

kk alaska

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
6 bills

Long Live The Judge

Thinking of moving to Florida? Don't........
IC B3

K
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
K
Well bought my buddy Marvin,s Savage, he talked about selling it to me for several years , Marvin recently passed on and his brother said
I could buy it. Neat to have his old rifle. But miss my bud.

Savage 99 250 3000 EG 24" 5447xx, 1950 era, measured twist right at 1-14 have 3 250 and mine vary.
Buehler 1" non split rings and bases, Weaver fine cross hair scope. Cleaned up nice tight action, bore looks great , and fired brass from my other older 99,s seems tight.

Would like to find Buehler split rings that would fit bases for a older Redfield I have been saving.
Whats odd is I can,t find any brand name on scope is it a Weaver?

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

kk alaska

L
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
Scope has all of the characteristics of a Weaver K2.5. The markings are often covered by the rear ring.

That's a beautiful old .250!!

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Its a nice memento of your buddy. And as Lightfoot said it does look like a K2.5. I have a nice Weaver KV-1 with the same rings. The only way I can figure the forward ring was put on was from the back with both the eye piece and adjustment housing having been removed. I don't want to take it all apart to remove the ring and I don't have anything that the base fits so, for my needs, I'm kind of stuck with a bit of a "Turkey."

Last edited by S99VG; 05/17/17.

"The universal aptitude for ineptitude makes any human accomplishment an incredible miracle." John Stapp - "Stapp's Law"
"Klaatu barada nikto"

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
If it was mine, I'd leave the scope/ring set up as is, remove it, keep it as a collector

I'd find a set of Buheller split rings, mount a Leupold or other modern scope for hunting use.

I'd fill the freezer with dead critters.

DF

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Those old scopes are cool.

It's real easy to find a better scope.

Hard to find a better rifle.

DF

K
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
K
My other buddy here in Eagle River had a very nice set of Buehler Split Rings it now wears my Leupold 4 power Duplex recticle.

The original scope is a 2.5 power fine cross hair Weaver which is set aside to keep it as I got it.

kk alaska

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
It's amazing how optics have advanced, while the workmanship in that old gun has not been improved on.

Those old Weavers were the cat's meow in the day, are pretty crude by today's standards. A decent Chinese scope has much better glass.

DF

K
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
K
Well the 99 EG in 250 shoots great at first factory 100 Gr loads were lousy about 5 to 8 inch groups, but after about 7 rounds it really perked.

Loads I had for my other tang sight 99 250 .

100 yard distance

RL 15 36 GR 87 GR Speer 4 @ 1.36" 5 @ 2.1"

RS BG 36 GR 100 GR Rem CL 2 @ .45" 3 @ 2.1"

RS BG 36 GR 100 GR Horn Inter lock 3 @ 1.2"

I think my bud would be pleased!

kk alaska

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

602 members (1lessdog, 1minute, 1234, 1beaver_shooter, 10Glocks, 1lesfox, 57 invisible), 2,561 guests, and 1,289 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,564
Posts18,453,755
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.