Print Thread
Hop To
A
aheider Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
A
How is the eye box on this scope? I thought I read that it wasn't good but I can't seem to find the thread I was thinking of. Opinions?

BP-B2

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
If may not be as good as a 2-7 Leupold but I've used one during deer season and managed to kill 3 without any issues. Everything is a trade off and it's pretty good magnification for its size and weight.

A
aheider Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
A
Easier to get behind than the 4.5-14?

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
I would say just as easy but I had them at different times,so I haven't compared them side by side.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
At any particular magnification, if the eye relief is set correctly then the eyebox is good. The problem with this model is the eye relief changes considerably with magnification. Interestingly it isn't the usual too little eye relief at high magnification issue that ails some scopes. IMO it actually has too much eye relief at low magnification.

As a result there's a nice eyebox at 4x, a good eyebox at 12x, but the eyeboxes don't overlap completely.

Hopefully I'm giving a reasonable description without overstating things.

I should add my experience is with the VX-II version, not VX-2.

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
For a Leup I like the 4-12 and the eye box is more user friendly than the 4.5-14 at higher mags

100% Public land DIY!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by hunter5325
For a Leup I like the 4-12 and the eye box is more user friendly than the 4.5-14 at higher mags

Agreed.

I will also echo what mathman stated. VXII/VX2 - same/same in that regard.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
The variable eye relief doesn't really bother me.I set them to be perfect with a quick mount on the lowest power. If I have time on a shot to adjust the power,I can also adjust my cheek position. I've never used one on a heavy kicker where prone at high power might be an issue. I don't think the ER shortens enough for that to be a concern though.

A
aheider Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by mathman
At any particular magnification, if the eye relief is set correctly then the eyebox is good. The problem with this model is the eye relief changes considerably with magnification. Interestingly it isn't the usual too little eye relief at high magnification issue that ails some scopes. IMO it actually has too much eye relief at low magnification.

As a result there's a nice eyebox at 4x, a good eyebox at 12x, but the eyeboxes don't overlap completely.

Hopefully I'm giving a reasonable description without overstating things.

I should add my experience is with the VX-II version, not VX-2.

That helps. Thanks!

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
If this is the model with the fast focus eyepiece, it was a PITA to keep it where I set it.

The AO was easy to adjust, but the eyepiece lacks the typical lock-ring of the Leupolds. I seemed to be moving it every day at some point, and chasing whether the AO was out of adjustment - or the eyepiece focus.

I though the eyebox was out of wack as well, but it was a minor one of several things I didn't like about mine.

IC B3

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
The 4-12x is a very old Leupold design. Unless it has been updated it only has about 46moa of total elevation range. This means something like 20moa remaining if you zero at 100yds. Not much.

People keep buying them though.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by AH64guy
If this is the model with the fast focus eyepiece, it was a PITA to keep it where I set it.

The AO was easy to adjust, but the eyepiece lacks the typical lock-ring of the Leupolds. I seemed to be moving it every day at some point, and chasing whether the AO was out of adjustment - or the eyepiece focus.

I though the eyebox was out of wack as well, but it was a minor one of several things I didn't like about mine.

I'm with you on that. I often encounter blank stares when I express that sentiment, but I suppose everyone wants what the Europeans are selling. I'll hang on to my scopes with locking ocular.

Originally Posted by hogan
The 4-12x is a very old Leupold design. Unless it has been updated it only has about 46moa of total elevation range. This means something like 20moa remaining if you zero at 100yds. Not much.

I don't see why it's so hard for the younger set to understand that many of us have no interest in twisting turrets.

Don't be the darkness.

America will perish while those who should be standing guard are satisfying their lusts.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by AH64guy

I wouldn't know about that. Mine is an older VXII model with the lock ring.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Yes, the VX-II has a lockring, the VX-2 is fast focus.

Don't be the darkness.

America will perish while those who should be standing guard are satisfying their lusts.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
These with the LR duplex is one of my favorite scopes. Have several....

But as for me and my house we will serve the Lord. Joshua 24:15
I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. Phil. 4:13

I DON'T NEED A WSM AS I HAVE A WEATHERBY!
D
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
D
My favorite is the 3.5-10x40, but I like the 2-12 better than the 4.5-14 models.

donsm70

Life Member...Safari Club International
Life Member...Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation
Life Member...Keystone Country Elk Alliance
Life Member...National Rifle Association
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by hogan

That's because for the use most put them to, it's enough.

Mine is actually a 1-series, circa 2005, with friction adjustments and no A.O.

It's been solid so far, having been mounted on a few .308s, a .204, and now a .223. Stays dialed in. Like someone else noted, if the eye relief is set to be good at 4x, generally you'll have time to crawl the stock for longer shots at high-power.

If it turned to dust tomorrow, I'd feel like I'd gotten my money's worth, but of course Leupold would replace it.

What fresh Hell is this?

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
716 members (222Sako, 007FJ, 09wingates, 10gaugemag, 12344mag, 204guy, 78 invisible), 2,922 guests, and 1,286 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,774
Posts18,401,589
Members73,823
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.