Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by fgold767
White Castle!........... I recall those from my childhood; my dad was a big fan of them (so was I). Are there any left? Bet I haven't seen one since the mid-60's.

Last edited by 22250rem; 05/23/17.
GB1

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
When I'm in NM I like What a Burger. There isn't one here, I like 5 guys pretty well.

NRA LIFE MEMBER
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS
ESPECIALLY THE SNIPERS!
"Suppose you were an idiot And suppose you were a member of Congress... But I repeat myself."
-Mark Twain
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J

For fast food chain restaurant hamburgers and/or food currently DQ, mostly because at the one we usually eat at their sandwiches and hot food is cooked when ordered, not precooked and left sitting under heat lamps.

A few local privately owned restaurants make some pretty decent hamburgers. My favorite so far has been what one place calls their "Steak burger". It's made with about a half pound patty of fresh ground beef the diameter of a saucer and around a 1/2 - 5/8 " thick after cooked, The hamburger patty itself is so big it still sticks out beyond the large bun it's served on. Your choice of a couple of brands of steak sauce and the usual lettuce, tomato, onion, pickle, etc., dressing.

Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
It's a long damn drive from here, but the mondo-burger at the Monderosa in Nenana.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by Steelhead
Yeah, I've never understood using beef fat in venison. By the time beef fat 'melts' the venison is overcooked. Pork 'melts' at a lower temp.

Bull. Then you're making them too hot, too quick. I'll be serving venison burgers off the grill this weekend for company coming for Memorial Day. They are mixed with 10% beef fat. Will be good and pink in the middle for those who know how to eat a good burger and don't want them well done, and will be juicy goodness.

One is alone in a land so vast, there is only the mountains, the wind, and the eyes of God.
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Beef fat cooks in a deer burger the same it does for a beef burger, for me. I shoot for med-rare to medium with burgers. Seems I'm the odd man out. I prefer elk burgers to deer but nothing wrong with venison burgers. I'll take any home cooked burger to a fast food restaurant.

In-n-out has to be one of the greatest shams going in my opinion. Only difference I can find between In-n-out and Burger King is that BK has better shakes and fries. Fast food is always a last resort for me though.

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Originally Posted by 22250rem
White Castle!........... I recall those from my childhood; my dad was a big fan of them (so was I). Are there any left? Bet I haven't seen one since the mid-60's.

White Castle is still a family run company that will not franchise stores. They will not locate a store that is too far from the main
company headquarters. There are stores in NJ, NYC, Ky. The closest one to me is in Louisville, KY. and it is just too far for me to drive......

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by huntinaz
Beef fat cooks in a deer burger the same it does for a beef burger, for me. I shoot for med-rare to medium with burgers. Seems I'm the odd man out. I prefer elk burgers to deer but nothing wrong with venison burgers. I'll take any home cooked burger to a fast food restaurant.

Exactly. Fat begins to melt and make grease between 130-140 degrees. 130-135 temp in meat is considered medium rare. So you can have your medium burger with grease with either beef or pork fat. If you really want fat to liquefy, that's called rendering and it will need held at that temperature for hours.

One is alone in a land so vast, there is only the mountains, the wind, and the eyes of God.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I would have to say Fuddruckers. Fresh ground, medium rare, and a ton of fresh toppings you put on yourself.

I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.

John Wayne
G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
I prefer my own charcoal grilled using ground round, season with sea salt and coarse black pepper, diced onion and teriyaki marinated. Toast the bun and add mustard & katsup, a slice of american on one side of the bun and pepper jack on the other.

IC B3

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J

Originally Posted by 22250rem

I tried some White Castle's little square burgers a few years ago after they built a new restaurant in a nearby town. May well be that my taste buds have changed and dulled over the years since eating and loving them when I was a kid but they were no where near as tasty as I remembered the old White Castle burgers being.

White Castle burgers are even being packaged frozen and sold in full line grocery stores, convenience stores and dollar stores for reheat and eat nowadays too. I tried them once too - once was enough.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Mushroom Swiss. The best I ever had was at some old bar and grill, just south of Casper, Wy, enroute to Muddy Gap. Ooh, and the massive fried onions, a definite plus.

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
All market hamburgers are pretty much generic, for me the deciding factor is the side orders... if the fry's and onion rings are pretty good then they'll get my business... like "The Hat" but they're a pretty small chain, there's a couple more, but don't very often go to any of the major chains.

Phil

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Home made venison burgers over smoke and flame. Just some salt, pepper and a little diced in onion. Condiments as needed.

I've eaten a lot of burners and that has become my simple favorite.

Hunt Africa while you can
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Mine...I make a burger rub/topping to die for ...named it BurgerWac...I sell it and give it away as gift's, most want the same gift every year!

I work harder than a ugly stripper....
Owl Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Burgerwac... And what is in it ?

James Pepper: There's no law west of Dodge and no God west of the Pecos. Right, Mr. Chisum? John Chisum: Wrong, Mr. Pepper. Because no matter where people go, sooner or later there's the law. And sooner or later they find God's already been there.
T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
White Castle = trailer trash food.
Best I've had and I think it's a chain is Mussels and Burgers

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
When I'm not making my own I go to a little Mexican joint in the town where I live called Garcias, they make the best burger in SC Alaska IMO. Handmade and cooked to perfection with a roasted green chili and 2 slices of bacon on it.

That's ok, I'll ass shoot a dink.

Steelhead

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
When I visit Pueblo, Colorado there is a burger called a slopper that most all of the restaurants there offer. It is an open faced burger in a bowl covered with green or red chili. You pretty much have to eat it with a spoon.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Fresh ground 85/15 beef. Mix in liberal amounts of Montreal Steak Seasoning, couple dashes of Tapatio and a dash of Worchestershire. Cook to your liking.

Drive-thru: Wendy's

Sit down chain: Five Guys

Last edited by bigfish9684; 05/23/17.

Originally Posted by Bristoe
It's about like this:

"Do you puff peters?"

"Hell no!"

"NAZI!!!"

Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

617 members (1234, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 17CalFan, 10gaugemag, 007FJ, 71 invisible), 2,598 guests, and 1,266 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,667
Posts18,455,932
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.