Hop To
E
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
E
Where do I go for training in Alaska
Erich

At some point my hobbies became my life.
BP-B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
What exactly is "AR15" training?

That's ok, I'll ass shoot a dink.

Steelhead

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Give Alaska Tactical a call. Only one I can think of.

NRA LIFE MEMBER
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS
ESPECIALLY THE SNIPERS!
"Suppose you were an idiot And suppose you were a member of Congress... But I repeat myself."
-Mark Twain
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Got some good training in South Carolina...

Food included, free ammo, free room and board, even free clothes if you don't mind lack of variety. Very "structured" environment conducive to learning all the ins and outs of the AR platform, as well as implementation in a variety of combat-like conditions.

Since you're in Tok, might take a drive to either Anchorage or Fairbanks to sign up for the course.

J/K talk to AK Tactical, Steve will hook you up.

Intellectual honesty is the most important character trait in human beings.
E
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
E
AR15 training, I thought that was odvious.AkMtnHntr are you saying training with an individual weapon system is a bad idea. Just put some rds in it blast away down range,good enough.
Thanks for all the helpful comments. Erich

IC B2

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Erich, Mountain Hunter's question was very valid. Your last post cleared up what you are looking for. I really like LoudClear's suggestion. You will definitely get comprehensive training with the M16/AR15. If you are looking for "Tommy Tacticool" training, Steve or someone in Fairbanks can give you what you want. If you are wanting to learn how to accurately shoot the AR15 then you need to hook up with one of the rifle clubs in the State. Look up the Mile 21 club in Fairbanks or the Alaska Rifle Club in Anchorage. If you want to learn how to Bang Steel at ranges up to 1000 yards then get hold of Marc Taylor at Wiggys in Anchorage. He and Frank Galli from Snipers Hide put on some great training at The Upper Susitna Range at mile 94.2 Parks. There are also folks who shoot 3-Gun, if you get interested. So, your question needs to be a wee more specific as to what kind of training you are looking for.

Presidents 100-'97
Distinguished Rifleman-'81
NRA Benefactor
Artillery lends dignity to what would otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by ErichTheRed
AR15 training, I thought that was odvious.AkMtnHntr are you saying training with an individual weapon system is a bad idea. Just put some rds in it blast away down range,good enough.
Thanks for all the helpful comments. Erich
Is that what I said? lol My point is or was, there are all kinds of training one can take, narrowing it down a bit might help but I digress.

Steelhead

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Good answers folks!

Sometimes all the training one is after, is to just learn the weapon. Some gets more detailed. And when one things self defense, IMHO, mentally training the brain is more important than the weapon of choice mostly.

And if one is wanting to make the P100 cut at Perry, its different than shooting coyotes, benchrest, 3 gun etc... all have varying issues... try us as service rifle shooters for years and years using IDPA as cross training... making me keep walking with a rifle while firing, and my wife had the same issues, much less a handgun, was HARD... it went against a LOT of training we'd had to be moving while shooting.

But the better you get, the better you get.

Happy we don't shoot anymore. But in some ways wish we had kept shooting as I think we could have actually become decent shooters with the AR15.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
E
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
E
Yes I see your point. I was not very spacific in my question. My apologies AkMntrHntr I did not realize how vague I was being. Bad form on my part.
My question had to do with general use inside 200 yds.,maintainance and accessories.
Thanks again Erich

Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
Yes I see your point. I was not very spacific in my question. My apologies AkMntrHntr I did not realize how vague I was being. Bad form on my part.
My question had to do with general use inside 200 yds.,maintainance and accessories.
Thanks again Erich

Well done.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by ironbender
Thanks again Erich

Well done.

Will he get kicked out for that? That's not usually how these things go.😳

Agree with Mike, good form

As an aside Erich, I'd tell Leif I want door gunner training

I'm pretty certain when we sing our anthem and mention the land of the free, the original intent didn't mean cell phones, food stamps and birth control.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
EricThe Red, if you can make it into Anchorage I suggest you go talk to Marc Taylor at Wiggy's Alaska, I know he's been into the whole tactical thing for quite some time and he can probably give you suggestions on what you're looking for as far as training goes. He's an ex Marine scout-sniper instructor and knows his shat. Good luck to you.

Steelhead

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If I was really planning to learn a weapon system I'd take a three day class at Thunder Ranch or a similar facility. Can't beat intensive training with top professionals with plenty of rounds down range.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I know Taylor has had training at Gunsite and he does several long range shooting classes every summer with a guy that he served with in the Corps.

Steelhead

E
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
E
I will have to see what is out there for me, that is within my budget.
Thanks for the help Erich

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
if you are around late Sept, we might be swinging through TOK on the way home. Maintenance is easy peasy. Shooting to 200 yards ain't much harder. Doesnt' take days of classes....

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
E
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
E
I might be going to lower 48 next month I have a chance to spend some time maybe attend a class, I'll see what happens. Thanks for the offer. Erich

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Where do I go for training in Alaska
Erich

Since you are in Tok, Fairbanks might be easier and more convenient for you. Contact Joe Nava.

[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]

Z

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
325 members (10gaugemag, 280shooter, 204guy, 29aholic, 308Palma, 1beaver_shooter, 43 invisible), 2,199 guests, and 1,045 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,724
Posts18,400,607
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.