Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#12049383 05/23/17
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I saw a ZASTAVA 30-06 at Cabelas. On sale for $325, wood stock blued.

I know Remington had been importing them as the M798 years ago, but they were available before that as I believe Interarms. I do not remember how accurate they tended to be. And, is there any reports on what they are now?

The older I become the more I am convinced that the voice of honor in a man's heart is the voice of GOD.
BP-B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
To sum them up, crude but accurate gems in the rough. I noticed a couple of Zastava Mausers at Cabela’s the other day as well. I didn't give them a close look but at a glance they seem to be the same as the ones I and many others got (mine was LH) a couple years ago in a group buy. If what you are looking at is a Zastava Model 70 then it's probably the same basic rifle.

If so, the stock is finished and checkered crudely and the inside of the action is rough as a cob. Wood can vary from something a 2x4 could sneer at to very nice, real luck of the draw there. The stocks are huge with a long LOP (14 or 14.5” IIRC) but are otherwise very good ergonomically with cast and cant so they mount well.

The trigger can be adjusted to a nice, crisp pull and the rifles overall are accurate. They are real honest to gosh all milled steel and walnut rifles and give you a lot for the money if you want a solid Mauser 98 design. If you want it more nicely finished then be prepared to put in a good bit of sweat equity if you are handy or pay someone to do it if not. Gems in the rough.

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Jim in Idaho
To sum them up, crude but accurate gems in the rough. I noticed a couple of Zastava Mausers at Cabela’s the other day as well. I didn't give them a close look but at a glance they seem to be the same as the ones I and many others got (mine was LH) a couple years ago in a group buy. If what you are looking at is a Zastava Model 70 then it's probably the same basic rifle.

If so, the stock is finished and checkered crudely and the inside of the action is rough as a cob. Wood can vary from something a 2x4 could sneer at to very nice, real luck of the draw there. The stocks are huge with a long LOP (14 or 14.5” IIRC) but are otherwise very good ergonomically with cast and cant so they mount well.

The trigger can be adjusted to a nice, crisp pull and the rifles overall are accurate. They are real honest to gosh all milled steel and walnut rifles and give you a lot for the money if you want a solid Mauser 98 design. If you want it more nicely finished then be prepared to put in a good bit of sweat equity if you are handy or pay someone to do it if not. Gems in the rough.

So you would say it's reasonable to figure on pillars and glass bedding? That really isn't a big deal.

The older I become the more I am convinced that the voice of honor in a man's heart is the voice of GOD.
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
I have a 7x57, and what Jim says is right: the bluing is beautiful, the interior is a bit rough (even after cycling the action literally over a thousand times), and the stock looks like it was finished with a single Lipton tea bag. But after having Jim Kobe float it, bed it, and change the recoil pad to a red Pachmayr, and then re-finishing the wood myself (although not recheckering, which it really needs), it turned out to be pretty decent. The LOP is 14.5 inches, not bad for standing but way too long for any other shooting positions, and it is accurate. The barrel has a European twist, i.e., 1:220mm or 1:866", and will put 175 grain Deep Curls right at an inch at 100 yards. Someday I may have it completely reworked, but at this point I'm pretty much wed to a M70 Featherweight, so haven't really thought seriously about it.

"An archer sees how far he can be from a target and still hit it, a bowhunter sees how close he can get before he shoots." It is certainly easy to use that same line of thinking with firearms. -- Unknown
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I've only had two Zastava rifles. One a .375 H&H magnum that was more accurate than be but the edge at the top of the lower recoil lug slot was like the teeth of a Great White shark. Put deep nasty gouges in my brass. Later saw another under the Whitworth label and same thing. I didn't buy it. Talked to a gunsmith who said it could be fixed by removing the barrel and a bit of judicious grinding with a Dremel might cure the problem, that said he wouldn't do it because he was afraid it might compromise that load lug recess.

The other was a European styled .300 Win. Mag. with schnable forearm. Accurate as hell, didn't kick the snot out of me and I liked it. Why I ever sold it off is way beyond me. Was lightweight for a magnum and was just plain flat out purty as hell.

I'm thinking if I ever find another in .375 H&H, I'll grab it have the barrel pulled and do the repair myself if the gunsmith is too chicken to try. Don't need one but what does need have to do with it?
Paul B.

Our forefathers did not politely protest the British.They did not vote them out of office, nor did they impeach the king,march on the capitol or ask permission for their rights. ----------------They just shot them.
MOLON LABE
IC B2

Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
I have s 798 in 7 mag, good shooter. Laminated stock. Nice rifle.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
The grain on this one isn't too bad, but it took oil to bring it out. As I said before, what passed for the original factory finish was pretty poor. But for $325, if you want it, get it. IMO, it's certainly worth that.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

"An archer sees how far he can be from a target and still hit it, a bowhunter sees how close he can get before he shoots." It is certainly easy to use that same line of thinking with firearms. -- Unknown
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
My 30-06 was marketed after the Interarms and before the Remingtons. It came in a plastic stock with a big ugly roll mark on the receiver "Charles Daly by ZASTAVA" . Good barrel but the safety, trigger, bolt handle and aluminum bottom metal were sub-prime and have all been replaced, and the receiver was surface ground. Getting a wood stock.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
I've owned several Zastava Mausers over the years, from Whitworths to Remington 798's. All have been accurate, and some VERY accurate. Still tend to pick one up at the right price, but the only one that's really stuck is my .375 H&H, which started life as a Whitworth but has been modified some since purchased around 1990.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I have two Zastava Model 70s. One is a 30-06 and the other is a 375 H&H. Both are left handed. Metal work is really good, the bluing is outstanding. The wood on both is a bit rough, but steel wool and linseed oil took care of that. Both rifles have triggers that adjusted to a crisp 2 pounds, and both feed and extract flawlessly.

The 30-06, out of the box, shoots Lake City 69 milsurp into an inch or a little better consistently at 100 yards. It shoots 165 grain Federal factory into .725 if I do my part. The 375 shoots 270 grain TSXs into .600 to .650 consistently. Neither rifle has had any work other than adjusting the stock triggers and putting some linseed oil on the stocks. Each has had about 250 rounds run through them.

I find them to be accurate, reliable, and a lot of rifle for the money. At $325, the rifle is a steal and a superb hunting rifle.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Just like Mausers in general, there've been all sorts of Zastava rifles imported by one outfit or the other, with varying levels of fit and finish, and reported "issues" with chamber dimensions. Some have been quit nice, and others kinda cobby, but I think they have solid "bones" and are well worth picking up at the right price. On Gunbroker anyway, prices seem to be pretty close to what various FNs go for. At the same price, more or less, I'll take an FN every time. On the other hand, there were some stainless 798s sold, and one of those would get my attention for sure.

What fresh Hell is this?
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Armednfree
I saw a ZASTAVA 30-06 at Cabelas. On sale for $325, wood stock blued.

I know Remington had been importing them as the M798 years ago, but they were available before that as I believe Interarms. I do not remember how accurate they tended to be. And, is there any reports on what they are now?

If I had a box of them at that price I could sell every single one in a heart beat, even allowing for the exchange rate.

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I've had four and still have one; a stainless in 30-06 which was plastic stocked but now wears a Boyd's.

All have been sub 1.5moa out of the box and after an easy DIY trigger adjustment they generally improved to 1.25moa or better.

Actually with those few easy adjustments they are an OUTSTANDING trigger.

Great rifles at the price...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
If you strip away that mud they use to finish them, some of them have some outstanding walnut:

[Linked Image]

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Yep that IS nice wood, and i echo your comment having seen quite a few of those rough stocks after being refinished.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I've owned 2 Zastava M70's, one a .375 that I had converted to a .375 Weatherby and the other which I currently own, a .458WM.
When I bought the .458 it was already on its second stock, the first splitting after 20 shots. I have since a Hogue stock fitted.
Another thing with the .458 is that even though it extracts empty cases fine, it doesn't eject them properly. The empties just fall back in the chamber and have to be removed by hand.
None of this is to say that Zastava's are a bad rifle - and indeed I like them, but just like many other rifles they need some fine tuning before they are 100%

Cheers,

Russ.

You'll probably never NEED a gun. In fact I hope you never do. BUT IF you do, you will probably need it worse than anything you've ever needed before in your life...
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by BadboyMelvin
I've owned 2 Zastava M70's, one a .375 that I had converted to a .375 Weatherby and the other which I currently own, a .458WM.
When I bought the .458 it was already on its second stock, the first splitting after 20 shots. I have since a Hogue stock fitted.
Another thing with the .458 is that even though it extracts empty cases fine, it doesn't eject them properly. The empties just fall back in the chamber and have to be removed by hand.
None of this is to say that Zastava's are a bad rifle - and indeed I like them, but just like many other rifles they need some fine tuning before they are 100%

Cheers,

Russ.

And doesn't that give you the royal [bleep] when you have to put serious work into a firearm you spent good coin on just to get it to function and perform as it should straight out of the box.

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
Z
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Z
Saw these rifles on the GI site. 7mm-08,270,30-06. Some got good wood. Cabela's back east have them. Gonna check the AZ store when I go in.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by JSTUART
Originally Posted by BadboyMelvin

Cheers,

Russ.

And doesn't that give you the royal [bleep] when you have to put serious work into a firearm you spent good coin on just to get it to function and perform as it should straight out of the box.

Yep, it sure does.

You'll probably never NEED a gun. In fact I hope you never do. BUT IF you do, you will probably need it worse than anything you've ever needed before in your life...
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Not when they're near giving them away as they have been here if you're willing to watch for the good buys...

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
89 members (35, 308ld, 338reddog, 257_X_50, 10gaugemag, 257robertsimp, 8 invisible), 1,572 guests, and 773 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,728
Posts18,400,764
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.