Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
G
Gus Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
it's my observation that each autumn at the beginning of the opening of deer season, i see fewer and fewer "carloads of hunters" headed south from atlanta to middle and south georgia. i could be wrong on that, but don't think so. there's more people in the metro, but fewer cars & trucks of hunters headed south before the season opens. it used to be a convoy of folks, not anymore. maybe they're traveling sooner, or taking other routes, or?

hunting has become expensive no matter how one looks at it. our state just raised hunting fees. they needed the revenue. we were behind other southern states, so we're playing catch-up.

still lot's of hunters out there, but fewer available tracts to hunt, and the lease fees do indicate strong demand.

GB1

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
I hunt public land here in N. GA. Almost never see any hunters. Same for deer, guess that is why no one else hunts on public land anymore. Baiting used to be illegal statewide. It is legal in the southern half of the state, but the law is almost never enforced on private property even in the northern half where I hunt. The deer have become more like cattle that can jump the fence. They are fed year round and stay on or near the property where the feeders are. Landowners and guys who pay for the leases ride their ATV to the elevated stands and grocery shop. Not what I call hunting.

There are more black bear and hogs on the public land in the northern half of the state than deer.

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.
J
JDK Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I haven't seen another hunter in the woods in 15 years.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by ihookem
There is a fraction of hunters in northern WIs. compared to 15 yrs ago.

They've all come to Montana to hunt. I see almost as many Wisconsin license plates during the season as I do Montana license plates.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Originally Posted by TheBigSky

They've all come to Montana to hunt. I see almost as many Wisconsin license plates during the season as I do Montana license plates.

Good too see them getting some use out of their lands.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
IC B2

J
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
J
Costs and lack of access have taken their toll. Plus, people who actually work, have to work a lot more these days than they did 50 years ago to make ends meet. It just leaves lots less time and money for hunting. And if becoming a lifelong hunter is the goal, then starting out kids deer hunting is about the worst thing you can do. For the most part, it is boring as hell. But no one squirrel hunts or anything like that anymore, so kids don't really learn how to hunt. They learn to sit in a box and shoot an unsuspecting deer a hundred yards off. If they don't actually see a deer in front of them, they are bored to tears or texting their friends until one actually does appear.

All the kids around where I live completely drop deer hunting, if they do it at all, once duck season starts.

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
If I learned to deer hunt by sitting in a blind/stand, I'd likely be a golfer.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
J
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by Steelhead
If I learned to deer hunt by sitting in a blind/stand, I'd likely be a golfer.

Exactly.

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
I got sick and tired of seeing other hunters on a farm that supposedly no one else had permission to hunt. Turned out the land lord couldn't say "no" to everyone else. So, after a close scrape that involved me pointing a loaded shot gun at someone, I decided to buy my own place. Was it a lot of money? Did it involve some personal sacrifice to achieve? You bet. But I'm a whole lot happier walking my own ground- even when its not hunting season.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Very true. I don't begrudge them one bit. If I could afford it, I would be hunting some of my land in various other states too (to for the morons).

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
IC B3

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Up here in North MO the day before rifle season there must be a mass exodus out of the city to here.

Every pickup is pulling a trailer with a couple of 4 wheelers or side x sides on it.

Every piece of public land is a sea of orange. Thankful I don't have to set foot in it.

Grammar is important.
Capitol letters are the difference between "helping your Uncle Jack off a horse" & "helping your uncle jack off a horse".
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Almost unlimited public hunting land where I live. I may see 50% of the trucks compared to 10 years ago, then it gets really sparse. Camps are empty for the most part, very shocking. The majority of hunters are older and stay near a road, and given their age, that is reasonable. Lucky I still have a bit of youth in my bones, and hunt with other guys that can help drag. Licenses are down probably 20% from 10/15 years ago, but man-hours in the woods is probably 30%. I guess it is good for me personally, but it is a bit depressing to see participation die. I think my state has 800,000-900,000 licensed hunters.

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Originally Posted by JoeBob
Costs and lack of access have taken their toll. Plus, people who actually work, have to work a lot more these days than they did 50 years ago to make ends meet. It just leaves lots less time and money for hunting. And if becoming a lifelong hunter is the goal, then starting out kids deer hunting is about the worst thing you can do. For the most part, it is boring as hell. But no one squirrel hunts or anything like that anymore, so kids don't really learn how to hunt. They learn to sit in a box and shoot an unsuspecting deer a hundred yards off. If they don't actually see a deer in front of them, they are bored to tears or texting their friends until one actually does appear.

That is so spot on, I can't disagree with any of it. Target shooting is more entertaining to them.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Mountain10mm
Why do I keep reading that the amount of licensed hunters is going down each year, but I keep seeing more and more hunters in the woods? I speak generically, but it seems most articles I read are that we need to get more people involved in hunting so it's not a lost sport. Need to introduce youth to the sport, teach women to hunt, take a friend, all to show them how to hunt and share the sport so it's not lost as the older generations stop hunting. At the same time, I see more and more hunters in the woods and less and less game. Even more so, my state of Colorado wants to raise tag fees significantly. I can literally pay double the fee and see half the game - what gives????

The amount of people who hunt is a declining number. If Colorado is raising fees significantly it is probably a sign that revenues are way down (fewer hunters buying tags and licenses) and they are scrambling to keep their current infrastructure. Maybe the hunters you are seeing are out of state folks. Less and less oportunities to hunt here in the east for those who still go hunting. Most of the young people I see don't have the passion for it. They go out on youth day or only shoot what they don't have to field dress. It's sad.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
J
The rural lifestyle kept the hunting culture alive. It's gone now. Even most really rural kids live what could more accurately be called a suburban lifestyle. Hunting is at its heart for those who don't have to hunt to live, a hobby, a form of entertainment. There is lots of competition today for the time and the dollar. Dads working fifty and sixty hours a week don't have time to take kids out and when they do, it is to a sterile box more likely than not. Kids don't roam the woods with .22s anymore. If they did, they would likely get called in for trespassing and their parents turned in to CPS.

My dad worked a lot and didn't have the interest for hunting when I was a kid. He took me just enough to get it started and I did the rest. Kids don't have that opportunity anymore.

G
Gus Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
that's it JB, it's a myriad of factors. human population increase, you name it. it's there and it's a factor. my son owns the basics, rimfire, shotgun, .308. and a ton of Kimber pistols. shooting is what he does, not hunting. shooting is more fun than hunting, and probably no more expensive. he hunted while growing up, and a lot of kids chastised him for it in his classes. he hunted anyways. but now shooting is the thing. it's action, it's a challenge. and he doesn't need to kill anything. i needed to bring meat home for the freezer. hunting was a manly action, and i wanted to be manly, and help provide food for the larder. now i can buy prime beef from kroger for less money than what i can drag in a deer and have processed, all in. so, times change. but, we're still human. we have the urge to hunt. it's in our genetics. and traditions die hard. it's sad on the one hand, but reality on the other. rural humans now are but a version of suburban and urban humans. and so it is.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by Gus
that's it JB, it's a myriad of factors. human population increase, you name it. it's there and it's a factor. my son owns the basics, rimfire, shotgun, .308. and a ton of Kimber pistols. shooting is what he does, not hunting. shooting is more fun than hunting, and probably no more expensive. he hunted while growing up, and a lot of kids chastised him for it in his classes. he hunted anyways. but now shooting is the thing. it's action, it's a challenge. and he doesn't need to kill anything. i needed to bring meat home for the freezer. hunting was a manly action, and i wanted to be manly, and help provide food for the larder. now i can buy prime beef from kroger for less money than what i can drag in a deer and have processed, all in. so, times change. but, we're still human. we have the urge to hunt. it's in our genetics. and traditions die hard. it's sad on the one hand, but reality on the other. rural humans now are but a version of suburban and urban humans. and so it is.

It is sad. But the bright side is that as long as I am able and interested, I'm going to enjoy the increasingly empty woods.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I think they all come to Idaho for the opener - hard to find a rock without somebody wearing orange.

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope
G
Gus Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by JoeBob
[quote=Gus]that's it JB, it's a myriad of factors. human population increase, you name it. it's there and it's a factor. my son owns the basics, rimfire, shotgun, .308. and a ton of Kimber pistols. shooting is what he does, not hunting. shooting is more fun than hunting, and probably no more expensive. he hunted while growing up, and a lot of kids chastised him for it in his classes. he hunted anyways. but now shooting is the thing. it's action, it's a challenge. and he doesn't need to kill anything. i needed to bring meat home for the freezer. hunting was a manly action, and i wanted to be manly, and help provide food for the larder. now i can buy prime beef from kroger for less money than what i can drag in a deer and have processed, all in. so, times change. but, we're still human. we have the urge to hunt. it's in our genetics. and traditions die hard. it's sad on the one hand, but reality on the other. rural humans now are but a version of suburban and urban humans. and so it is.

It is sad. But the bright side is that as long as I am able and interested, I'm going to enjoy the increasingly empty woods.
[/quote

yes. one might even get a chance to shoot a feral hog. they're increasing in supply around here. the trappers, dog hunters, and others are working hard, but plenty left for us gun hunters. and coyotes, they're pretty invasive as well.

the public loves the idea that lyme disease is being minimized as a risk. and rabies, too. but that's an aside.

I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I

Yes, you are right. It got so bad in northern WIs. where the public land is vast that many said to heck with it and now just go for a week to a western state. My BIL has been going to Colorado to bow hunt for elk for 4 yrs now. No elk yet but likes it so much that he is starting to forget bow hunting in Wisconsin and is all but done hunting in WIs. with a gun for deer.

But the fruits of the spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness,faithfulness, Gentleness and self control. Against such things there is no law. Galations 5: 22&23
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

461 members (007FJ, 10gaugeman, 12344mag, 160user, 06hunter59, 01Foreman400, 45 invisible), 2,108 guests, and 1,147 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,603
Posts18,454,762
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.