Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
K
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
K

I've never really heard anyone brag about the HB CZs being more accurate than the standard barrel models.

I'm wondering if there is a real advantage to buying a Varmint or TactiCool over an American.
My guess is that they should be less picky about ammo selection, but I just assumed that they would be a step up in accuracy too. But I don't really see anyone making that statement.

So I ask the group - what is the dope on these models?

Thanks all,

Work is what you do to finance your real life.....
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
My CZ Varmint 308 is among the most accurate rifles I own.

[Linked Image]

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
As Bob Hagel would say"You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong."Good words of wisdom...............
K
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
K
1. Wow that's a nice group!

2. ...but I was asking about the rimfires. Specifically 22lr.

3. Wow that's a nice group!

Work is what you do to finance your real life.....
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
B,
I think Kragman was referring to rimfires.. but darn nice group.Reminds me I have to try sone Varget in my new .308 smile

Off a bench or other solid rest, I personally believe a heavy barrel makes more difference in grouping in a centerfire than a rimfire rifle. Recoil and barrel harmonics being much more violent/erratic in the centerfires.

As to the CZ rimifires ,going back about 15 years when the m452 varmints and Americans first were being used in great numbers, shooters reported that the Americans were at least as accurate and maybe a bit more so than the Vamint models.

I think this had more to do with the difference in the bedding and action screw setup between the two models.

The American had two action screws-rear one at the tang with the dovetailed recoil lug and the front action screw just behind the magazine. The barrels were free floated.

The Vamints had one action screw behind the mag and the front screw in the dovetailed recoil lug ON THE BARREL.
I think the Varmint models were more touchy as to how well bedded they were at the factory, and that may have accounted for the accuracy issues with some of them. The bedding could be a bit uneven and caused some stress on the action and barrel in places.

Properly glass bedded - almost any CZ 452 usually shoots lights out with good ammo .

Last edited by jk16; 05/20/17.
P
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
P
I have 2 455s, the varmint and fullstock. With the proper ammo there isn't a nickels worth of difference between them at 50 yds. This is just an example of one however.

Society of Intolerant Old Men. Rifle Slut Division
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I only had a sample of two to compare. I used to own a 452 Varmint in 22 Magnum and later picked up a 455 Lux in 22 Magnum. The Lux shot as good if not a smidge better than the Varmint, so I sold the 452.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I picked up a new 455 Heavy barrel, thumbhole, fluted in 22LR back in January because I spent the last year or so trying to get my buddy to sell his 452 American in 22LR but he refuses because it's such a nice shooter. My 455 turned out to also shoot great and someday this summer we're gonna have to play with them side by side under similar conditions. I already know they both shoot great but which one shoots greater? I almost got a 455 American 22LR but that thumbhole stock fit my hand so well I couldn't resist the heavy barrel model. I bet either one would have kept me happy accuracy-wise.

W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
For me the advantage is the heavier rifle holds better!!!

Molon Labe
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by WyoCoyoteHunter

........ Me too; I shouldered the heavy barrel thumbhole model and it seems the combination of the heavier barrel and the thumbhole that seems ideal for my hand was what sold me. It's heavier than the 455 American but not enough to stop me from buying it.. It holds much better for shooting offhand (like in the squirrel woods). If it gets too heavy I picked up a nice sling, too

C
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
C
Depends on how good of a barrel you get from the factory, how well its bedded, crown,chamber,etc....I have seen several (not all) light barrel CZ's out perform their heavy barrel counterpart

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have a CZ455 standard barrel in .17HMR and a CZ 455 varmint in .22lr - both are excellent shooters. The .22 is used for target shooting and is wicked accurate even with cheap ammo. At 25 yards groups with Federal Target/Match (325rnd bulk packs) or Fed Eagles it shoots one hole groups that are easily covered with a dime. at 50 they open up and the quality of the ammo shows. Groups are still typically covered with a quarter but there is usually 4 touching and one just off. I have contemplated selling and getting a standard weight that is lighter to carry around........but then I typically use the .17 when hunting varmints. Both of my CZ's have been ultra reliable. Both triggers were pretty poor when new but a little work with the stone and lighter springs now have very nice 2.5# triggers. If you are interested in mine, pm me and I can get you more info.
[Linked Image]

Here is the .17 with a big ol chuck.
[Linked Image]

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by WyoCoyoteHunter

Agreed, plus the wider flat forearm on the CZ heavy barrels is better for bench shooting. The shorter heavier barrel should theoretically offer an accuracy advantage, but since I had other more expensive rifles for bench shooting, I sold my CZ heavy barrels and only kept a sporter for general plinking and hunting.

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
The CZ barrels are all the same as far as rifling and chamber. The shape of the crown is different, but; the quality of finish OF that feature is probably the same. Not sure, probably. In general the inherent accuracy is the same gamble on all cz barrels. And a given American can easily out shoot another varmint. Or not, its a gamble.

BUT! While the inherent accuracy is identical (or close, give me a second) or the quality lottery is the same. A HEAVY GUN WILL SHOOT MORE ACCURATELY THAN LIGHT GUN off the bench. That is why you have weight limits on the guns used in competitive shooting. Also pointed out already, the heavy flat bottom stock will be more accurate on the bench, for any normal human being.

Now for hunting, you need to be sensible about things. The stock wont matter in the field. The heavy barrel advantage in the field is meaningless vs. the misery of carrying that weight. On center fire varmint rifle you may sit in one spot and be concerned with heating the gun. Heating is generally not a concern for 22 LR. I never shot my 22mag that rapidly in the field. I dont live in prairie dog country. The varmint might well make sense in varmint country for heat dissipation, in a rimfire magnum? I dont know, means I dont know. I do know shooting at paper you want all the weight you can get. Now back to accuracy.

The stiffness of the bull barrel can only help, but; I never saw data on that. I do see some tuners in use, so; I have to just assume the stiffer barrel is another good thing or the tuners would not be working.

Yea, a real advantage if you shoot paper and a pain in the back to carry for (IMHO) no practical difference in the field.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have a 453 Varmint and a 453 Americqn. The Americn outshoots the Varmint consistently, and the varmint shoots well.. The Varmint spends it's time in the safe.

George
Associate Gypsy
Order of Sleepless Knights

Originally Posted by GOD
... That is when I carried you ...

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

584 members (1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 02bfishn, 160user, 10Glocks, 1337Fungi, 63 invisible), 2,524 guests, and 1,203 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,344
Posts18,468,761
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.