Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
Another somewhat unique 10-22.

Many moons ago, I ran across a guy walking the isles at a local gun show, packing this 10-22. I gave him a C note.

I added a Clark (Walther) barrel, had it cut and threaded for a can, rebuilt the fire control unit with Volquartsen and Clark parts, added a trigger stop, glassed it, refinished the stock, recut the checkering. Notice how I set the Redfield base back to accommodate the short ER of the Compact series 3-9 EFR

I've considered it my best trigger job until I tackled the Jard mentioned in the OP. Those two are now pretty close.

It's really quiet, you hear the bolt cycle and the bullet strike. That's about all.

DF

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

That's a little beauty, DF.

PS- Getcha a bolt buffer and all you're hear is a click and then the bullet smacking the target. grin

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
BP-B2

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
JK16. - THANK YOU! I hated not knowing the backstory on the stock.

Yes. - it has really turned out to be an exceptional rimfire. I don't have the targets anymore but it was shooting roughly .100 to .200 groups at 25 yards. Some groups were better than that, and I screwed up a few. 10 shot groups stayed close to the same size.
The trigger is excellent, and not "too" light maybe 1.5 to 2 lbs and very clean. A little long but only a little.
I'm 6 ft tall and its very enjoyable to use a stock that is right. The comb height is right for optics too.
Before I bought this I only knew Green Mountain by their reputation. After this I wouldn't hesitate to buy another.

All in all, it was an impulse buy on an unknown gun that came up roses.

Maybe this weekend I can get some range time and post some fresh groups with different types of ammo.

Work is what you do to finance your real life.....
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Awesome little rig, kragman. Just beautiful.

And I agree the checkering does hint of Remington.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Dirtfarmer - I will certainly do that. Like I said, smooth and pretty light the way it is, but there is time take up that I'm not a fan of. Its a very good trigger the way it is now. It might be excellent after some adjustment. I like the oversized guard too.

Boy, I hope I find some HV stuff that it likes. It really belongs inn the woods, not at the range.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by kragman1
Dirtfarmer - I will certainly do that. Like I said, smooth and pretty light the way it is, but there is time take up that I'm not a fan of. Its a very good trigger the way it is now. It might be excellent after some adjustment. I like the oversized guard too.

Boy, I hope I find some HV stuff that it likes. It really belongs inn the woods, not at the range.

I have the Greenmountain SS sporter barrel on my rig and it shoots a lot of stuff good, including mini mag hollow points. It shoots TAC 22 ammo really good. I haven't tried Velostors out of it yet but it's on the menu for another time down the road.

Help keep our sport going. take a kid outdoors!
IC B2

D
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by local_dirt

Many moons ago, I ran across a guy walking the isles at a local gun show, packing this 10-22. I gave him a C note.

I added a Clark (Walther) barrel, had it cut and threaded for a can, rebuilt the fire control unit with Volquartsen and Clark parts, added a trigger stop, glassed it, refinished the stock, recut the checkering. Notice how I set the Redfield base back to accommodate the short ER of the Compact series 3-9 EFR

I've considered it my best trigger job until I tackled the Jard mentioned in the OP. Those two are now pretty close.

It's really quiet, you hear the bolt cycle and the bullet strike. That's about all.

DF

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

PS- Getcha a bolt buffer and all you're hear is a click and then the bullet smacking the target. grin

They all have bolt buffers. The buffer does cut down on bolt cycling noise, but you still hear it slamming closed.

DF

N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
i have a regular garden variety 10/22 targit w/ the spiral cut barrel. it runs like a champ, bone stock.

Uber Demanding Rifle Aficionado
D
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
D

When you take the bottom plate off (held on by the one screw) you'll see the one piece sear/trigger part. Drift out the retaining pin, remove the part. The rear set screw adjusts sear engagement, the front one, disconnector engagement. The excessive trigger take up can be adjusted by advancing the rear screw.

After all is done, adjust the set screw in the trigger so the safety will work properly. I like just a hair of trigger play with the safety engaged to make sure the safety has room to work.

I adjusted the trigger take up to almost nothing, left just a hair. The trigger takes up slack, then there is slight resistance for the clean pull, sorta two stage, I guess. Mine now has very little take up, is 2#'s. You can change out the spring to alter pull wt.

The bolt hold open part is pretty neat. You press it in, the bolt is held back. You pull the bolt back, the spring loaded part drops down releasing the bolt. Mine would bind, so I carefully filed the slot until the bolt lock part moved freely.

I like this trigger more now after working with it.

DF

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Got some ammo testing time in today.
Still working out little kinks in my new rest but its much better.
Some of those smaller groups are 3/8" edge to edge so about .150" CTC.
$3/box Aguila SV is looking like a bargain in this rifle too.

[Linked Image]

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Who would shoot rimfire at 150 yards? Dunno... maybe more than you...

Mine has done in turkeys around the 120 yard mark. Took out a varmint that landed in the pond the other day, long side of 150 to hit it in the head....

Mini palma shooters play too!

To top it off, all the above except the mini palma as I don't play that game, is done here, 10-22 , subsonic, with a can....

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
IC B3

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by EdM
Nice piece. Nice to see something different. Here's mine with a Clark barrel, Volquartsen trigger, Midway/Fajen stock with Ahlman's checkering and basic Nikon 4X. Crazy accurate with Aguila Pistol Match ammunition. I have a Weaver 2-7X I intend to swap on to it.

[Linked Image]

Really liking this stock.

"Put none but Americans on guard tonight."
-George Washington
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by local_dirt

DF

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

They all have bolt buffers. The buffer does cut down on bolt cycling noise, but you still hear it slamming closed.

DF

With this one and a can on the end of my Kidd, a "click" is about all you hear with SV ammo.

http://www.coolguyguns.com/KIDD-22LR-Bolt-Buffer_p_12.html

Last edited by local_dirt; 05/20/17. Reason: to add "with SV ammo"

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
10/22 something different - what, you left it stock? lol 10/22's have to be the most popular and modified rifle ever built. Fun stuff, especially now that ammo is available again.

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope
D
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
D
I had a nice conversation with the good folks at Jard this AM. They've been making the front of the trigger safety configuation for around 5 yrs, said customers like that better. I prefer the rear safety, so does the guy at Jard. This fire control unit is around 10 yrs. old.

When you advance the rear adjustment screw for sear engagement, you need to adjust the disconnect screw so the disconnector barely brushes the hammer as it's cocked. With the AR, he said they like a hard brush, disconnector on hammer, not as hard with the 10-22.

They have instructions on their web site under "Manuals".

He said it was OK to adjust sear engagement until you couldn't feel any take up, just bounce the gun around and test it for safety. I like a hair of take up, just makes me feel better.

Good trigger, good folks.

DF

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
The wind was pretty still today so I raced off to the range after work. Same sketchy rest but with a towel for a rear bag (really doesn't work BTW) and lets try some ammo. I did not shoot well, but I had a few moments when things felt pretty solid, and those groups were bleeping terrific.
Yeah I know - I'm only posting the good ones. grin

Shot with the 10-22 I posted on this thread, and a rimfire Muse on my sboulder.

FYI - the little spot at the top edge of the first pic is round #5 - something shifted and I couldn't stop my finger in time.

[Linked Image]opp

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Last edited by kragman1; 05/23/17.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Those are some really nice groups! I'm in the process of putting together my second 10/22 and i can't decide which way i want to go barrel wise. i'm leaning towards another green mountain sporter barrel but this time instead of the 20" barrel i'm looking at a 16"

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Thanks Jim. Mine has always shot well. I don't know the length off hand but.its a GM fluted sporter.
I'm looking to do more 100 yard work with it but even from my 2 groups shot last night it looks like no fluke with RWS HV BPs
The Aguila SV wasn't far behind either.

The Bass Pro 4-12 is coming off, probably in favor of a Weaver 6-24 that I have.
It will mount lower too which is better for me with that comb height.
If it works out I think I will have a really good set up.

Ill say it again - I was the lucky guy in the right place at the right time when that rifle came into the store.
I never thought I'd be in a position to EXPECT 1/2" groups at 100 - now I always will because I know that rifle/ammo combo can do it.
It feels a little bit like winning the lottery...

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
FYI - Kidd and Fedderson have barrels in the same general price range.
I have no experience with them but they have good reputations especially the Kidd's.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
FYI - Kidd and Fedderson have barrels in the same general price range.
I have no experience with them but they have good reputations especially the Kidd's.

YEA, i'm looking at a fedderson barrel as well as the GM. most of the Kidd's i have seen are all bull barrels.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Serious question: Why the need for a muzzle brake for a .22? Surely not for excessive recoil, so what's the deal?

"...why, land is the only thing in the world worth working for, worth fighting for, worth dying for,... because it is the only thing that lasts."
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
648 members (222ND, 160user, 1234, 257 roberts, 1lessdog, 2500HD, 72 invisible), 2,825 guests, and 1,369 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,651
Posts18,399,172
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.