Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
W
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
W
If you have a dog that is. I'd like another Shetland Sheep dog, they are harder to find than they used to be.

Last edited by wabigoon; 05/23/17.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
GB1

U
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
U
Our 6th Sheltie is now 11, she'll probably be our last Sheltie. Our newest addition is an 11 year old Chihuahua, simply because my 84 year old cousin passed, and no way in hell was she going to a shelter. My daughter had always loved her, and after all, how much trouble can 7 pounds of dog be? She's a hoot, wouldn't go out to find one, but glad we took her.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
We seem to mostly get pound dogs

[Linked Image]

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
Used to have 8 to 12 pointers, I'm dogged out.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

http://www.norcalsheltierescue.org/ and similar organizations

also try

https://www.petfinder.com/

thanks
P.

IC B2

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B

My boss had a stray show up, boxer mix, and she turned out to be a great dog. She had 6 pups with a Pyrenees and we got the runt of the litter. Great looking dog, very smart, very protective.

Remi @ 7 weeks:

[Linked Image]

Remi @ 6 months:

[Linked Image]

When I die I hope I don't start voting democrat.
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I grew up with dogs and had a pretty good idea of what I wanted. My wife on the other hand didn't grow up with dogs and was concerned.

We spent 6 months researching different breeds, meeting breeders, talking to owners and finally decided on the Nova Scotia Duck Tolling Retriever.

Absolutely NO regrets!

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

For us, best breed ever!

Hunt Africa while you can
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
current dogs were saved from a dick head neighbor that abused them. made him a offer he couldn't refuse you might say. first year and a half you couldn't touch Rosie's head. if you had a fork in your hand she would cringe on the floor. if you moved your foot close to her she went belly down on the floor. i started kissing her between the eyes very slow and now she is a happy dog free from those habits.
the other dog had to have thousands in medical on a shattered back leg he ignored. she barked all night when we got her until my wife was ready to send her down the road. one night i left my laptop with the charged light shining on her bed. not a peep. just was scared of the dark. had been boxed day and night outside with bears, wolves, yotes etc trying to get at her .
all it took was some care and they are great pets. wanted working dogs but these have wormed into our hearts.
[Linked Image][Linked Image]

the consolidation of the states into one vast republic, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of that ruin which has overwhelmed all those that have preceded. Robert E Lee
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I got my Annie for 24 campfire member luv2safari. She was 6 weeks old when Jean & I drove to Falon NV.

U
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
U
Good on you deerstalker. Looks like you're getting as much as you give!

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My wife had two Shetland Sheep dogs for a few years before we married. They were around the first 8 or 9 years of our marriage. She got both of them from a local breeder. They were both sweethearts but once they were gone she decided she didn't want any more shelties because she says she gets "too attached" to them. When our son got to be about 11 he talked her into adopting a lab/retriever mix from a local shelter and we had her for 12.5 yrs. Now the wife doesn't want ANY more dogs because she gets "too attached".

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
I was at an Agility Trial and noticed a woman with a Honest-to-God GSD so I stopped her and asked her about the dog. One thing led to another and she turned me on to a breeder in Mich.They checked me out ( you gotta know what a Working GSD means to get one of their dogs..) I was on a waiting list for a couple years, then waited a bit longer for a pup that would test out to the qualities I was looking for, then I drove back east to pick up and start life wth " Rommel"

[Linked Image]

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by ingwe
I was at an Agility Trial and noticed a woman with a Honest-to-God GSD so I stopped her and asked her about the dog. One thing led to another and she turned me on to a breeder in Mich.They checked me out ( you gotta know what a Working GSD means to get one of their dogs..) I was on a waiting list for a couple years, then waited a bit longer for a pup that would test out to the qualities I was looking for, then I drove back east to pick up and start life wth " Rommel"

[Linked Image]

You do realize the only reason we like you is because of Rommel ................ wink

Paul

"I'd rather see a sermon than hear a sermon".... D.A.D.

Trump Won!, Sandmann Won!, Rittenhouse Won!, Suck it Liberal Fuuktards.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by colorado bob
I got my Annie for 24 campfire member luv2safari.

And me Rosie.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Pound dog.

Some asswhole had her but she enjoy's life to the fullest now.

[Linked Image]

Paul

"I'd rather see a sermon than hear a sermon".... D.A.D.

Trump Won!, Sandmann Won!, Rittenhouse Won!, Suck it Liberal Fuuktards.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
Three of our four are rescues. We love them just as much as our problem child (Catahoula) that we actually bought. If you ever find yourself bored in life, just get yourself a Catahoula. They will add lots of color, and a bit of aggravation to your life.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Two friends at my gun club have Labrador Retrievers and field trial. My interest was for an upland hunting dog and they separately came up with the same breeder who had a small female that was maybe available. My phone conversation with the breeder didn't convince me I had a chance but things changed and she was available provided I passed muster. He warned me I better not show up with a pick-up truck and kennel in the back if I wanted her. Instead I left my F250 home and took my father along in his hatchback and we took the ride to pick her up. We get there and during the meet and greet the dog was skittish toward me. I was told to get low in the kitchen floor I guess to look less menacing. Problem was they had 5 or 6 dogs in that house and the kitchen floor looked like it. I did as instructed and Amber as she was called then came over and sniffed me. Took her home and and renamed her Ellie and I have a new best friend/hunting partner. That was 4 years ago and she is the best dog I have ever had. I was worried about getting a neurotic field trial robot at first but her temperament is perfect in the house and her drive to hunt off the charts.

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
From a breeder at a swap meet in Houston. Now going on 15 years.

[Linked Image]

Conduct is the best proof of character.
P
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
P
Those Tollers are beautiful dogs! I was set on getting one for awhile but the four breeders I spoke with were some of the nuttiest, most elitist people I've ever talked dogs with. Ended up with an English Lab and he's been a great dog.

Last edited by pabucktail; 05/23/17. Reason: apparent interference from pop up ads
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I was on the way home from work one day when I saw a Black and Tan Coon hound trotting along the road. I stopped, but she wouldn't get close to me. A couple of days later my wife opened the front door and there she was sitting on the front porch. We still have her 11 years later. I figure she got my scent off the sandwich I threw her.

Last edited by dodgefan; 05/23/17.
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

113 members (358WCF, 450yukon, 19rabbit52, 10gaugemag, 30Gibbs, 18 invisible), 2,078 guests, and 874 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,279
Posts18,467,652
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.