Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
J
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J

Ok. have bought,sold and used more than the average of different brand scopes through the years. Currently looking for a 3.5x10x40 to put on a Browning A-Bolt 300 Win Mag.for a friend. He prefers Leupold so now the question. I see different models VX3, Vari Xlll , VX3i with a wide variance in prices. What gives? What is the best for the $$$ ?
Thanks , Joe

"......ain't many troubles that a man cain't fix
With seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six."
BP-B2

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Don't forget the VX III as well wink

Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
I have the VX 3i scopes. 40 and 50mm. I like them.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
The several Vari and VX models go back nearly 60 years. VX-3i is current along with VX-2, VX-1, VX-5HD, VX-6HD and I don't know how many other models. VX-3 was discontinued a couple of years ago and before that was VX-III. And then there was also...

Clear as mud?

'Four legs good, two legs baaaad."
----------------------------------------------
"Jimmy, some of it's magic,
Some of it's tragic,
But I had a good life all the way."
(Jimmy Buffett)

SotG
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Leupold's VX-3i (current version) has undergone a few changes / improvements / upgrades over the many years, such as lens coatings, turrets, CDS dials, etc. Keeping up with the improvements in technology and customer demand for certain features.

The VX-3i is still, in my opinion, one of the best in its price point. The 3.5-10x40 is a versatile scope.

gundog

IC B2

O
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
O
Currently you can get a new leupold vx-3i 3.5-10x40mm matte duplex for $318 shipped on ebay, IMO it is the best deal in optic's today

Ted
J
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J

I do appreciate the input. Had seen the listings on Ebay for the VX3i and was leaning that way. Thanks for taking the time to comment.
Joe

"......ain't many troubles that a man cain't fix
With seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six."
Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
You might spend the extra money to get the CDS model?

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Talked to the Leupold rep a few weeks ago at the NRA convention in Atlanta. I specifically asked about the VX3i, as I have two. My questions were referencing durability. He said they are as "durable as any other scope we've ever made, or moreso." They go through the same vigorous testing as all their scopes. I asked about the light weight and how it doesn't feel like the Leupold's from years ago.He attributed that to much improved manufacturing techniques over the years...nothing more, nothing less.

My second question I had was rumors I've been hearing about Leupolds being manufactured outside the US...in particular my LGS telling everyone they are now made in the Philippines as a cost cutting measure. He was as nice as could be, but I could tell he'd been asked that question before. He took me to the display and picked up a random scope, showing that it said designed, made, whatever...in the United States....can't remember the exact wording, but you know what I'm talking about. He then pointed out the gold ring and said "See that gold ring? That ring means its entirely made in the US...period." He then backed up a second and informed me that the glass, obviously, was outsourced...otherwise, it was all red, white and blue, adding that the glass making is a nasty nasty process. I thanked him for his time and before leaving he leaned in to me and in a lowered voice told me "tell your friend at the gun shop that I said he's full of s--t...we don't make scopes in the Philippines. You tell him I said that!"

You only live once, but...if you do it right, once is enough.
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by Godogs57
Talked to the Leupold rep a few weeks ago at the NRA convention in Atlanta. I specifically asked about the VX3i, as I have two. My questions were referencing durability. He said they are as "durable as any other scope we've ever made, or moreso." They go through the same vigorous testing as all their scopes. I asked about the light weight and how it doesn't feel like the Leupold's from years ago.He attributed that to much improved manufacturing techniques over the years...nothing more, nothing less.

My second question I had was rumors I've been hearing about Leupolds being manufactured outside the US...in particular my LGS telling everyone they are now made in the Philippines as a cost cutting measure. He was as nice as could be, but I could tell he'd been asked that question before. He took me to the display and picked up a random scope, showing that it said designed, made, whatever...in the United States....can't remember the exact wording, but you know what I'm talking about. He then pointed out the gold ring and said "See that gold ring? That ring means its entirely made in the US...period." He then backed up a second and informed me that the glass, obviously, was outsourced...otherwise, it was all red, white and blue, adding that the glass making is a nasty nasty process. I thanked him for his time and before leaving he leaned in to me and in a lowered voice told me "tell your friend at the gun shop that I said he's full of s--t...we don't make scopes in the Philippines. You tell him I said that!"

I'll say they are most likely made in the USA, but that in itself does not guarantee a quality scope. I've always liked their glass and waranty. Leupold is one scope that needs a warranty. A few other scopes are entering the competition arena as the Leupolds have a real problem holding point of aim. Not a concern in a hunting rifle, but a big concern when shooting .100-.200 MOA groups.A .020" movement of POA will cause you to lose.

IC B3

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
The models with Roman numerals were discontinued years ago and are old technology. I doubt if you'll find a new VX-III. If it is still new it is at least 10-15 years old. The VariX-III's are probably more than 20-30 years old. The VX-3 is a newer design. The VX-3i is the newest generation and should cost more.

In my opinion there isn't enough difference between the VX-2 and VX-3 to justify the price. I haven't used the VX-3i, but while probably better, it is even more expensive. For me If I want to spend more than $300-$350 for a VX-2 I think there are better scopes than the VX-3 or VX-3i.

About USA made. As far as I know all Leupold scopes are USA made other than glass. Many of Leupolds other products such as binoculars and range finders are now imported.

Last edited by JMR40; 05/25/17.

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by JMR40
The models with Roman numerals were discontinued years ago and are old technology. I doubt if you'll find a new VX-III. If it is still new it is at least 10-15 years old. The VariX-III's are probably more than 20-30 years old. The VX-3 is a newer design. The VX-3i is the newest generation and should cost more.

They're all good scopes, but should be price accordingly. I recently bought a VariX-III and VX-III dirt cheap. Quite pleased with both.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I bought a used m8 four power here on the campfire. It had a CPC reticle. I had the seller ship it to leupold for a check up. I got a brand new fx 2 wide duplex in the mail as the old m8 did not pass inspection. I know of no other company in the world that does this. Amazing.

"Shoot low sheriff, I think he's riding a shetland!" B. Wills

Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
They have great service, they want you coming back.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Way better tha great service.....best on earth period...

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by old_willys
Currently you can get a new leupold vx-3i 3.5-10x40mm matte duplex for $318 shipped on ebay, IMO it is the best deal in optic's today

Absolutely!!!!!

Leupold is all I buy these days.

I like their 2.5-8 scopes.

Currently have a VX 3 and a VX 3i. I honestly can't tell the difference.

Also had a VX III...same magnification...the newer models definitely have nicer dials but again...my untrained eyes can't see any difference in the glass.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I've owned the whole gamut of higher-end brands over years; Swarovski, Zeiss, Leica, Kahles, S&B but now use Leupolds exclusively. For the money and the warranty, there is no better option, IMHO.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
From what I've read here by different posters a number of times a post 2012 mfg. VX2 is the "best for the $$$". They're all over e-bay new for around $300.

I've owned a lot of Leupolds over the past thirty plus years and still have some. For decent glass, maybe the best eye relief , light weight, and great service they're hard to beat. I've got an 1989, Vari-X III 3.5-10x40 that's been used a lot on several different rifles. It's got some scuffs and scratches but it's glass, adjustments and ability to hold zero are as good as new.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by JMR40

In my opinion there isn't enough difference between the VX-2 and VX-3 to justify the price. I haven't used the VX-3i, but while probably better, it is even more expensive. For me If I want to spend more than $300-$350 for a VX-2 I think there are better scopes than the VX-3 or VX-3i.

About USA made. As far as I know all Leupold scopes are USA made other than glass. Many of Leupolds other products such as binoculars and range finders are now imported.

Just to clarify, the VX-I and VX-II series succeeded the Vari-X IIc in 2001. The lens coatings were upgraded in 2004, but there wasn't any change in the naming protocol to easily identify the change, so if you're going to buy a used Leupold, it is useful to know that the VX-I/VX-II scopes with serial number suffix J/K/L have the older lens coatings.

The VX-1 and VX-2 series succeeded the VX-I and VX-II in 2012.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
OP, it looks like the scope is to be used on a hunting rifle. Unless he's going to really stretch distances out, anything with the Leupold name on it would serve him well. The best value? Probably the VX-2 line.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
113 members (338reddog, 10gaugemag, 300_savage, 17 invisible), 1,363 guests, and 734 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,588
Posts18,397,851
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.