Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Calhoun Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
I think the last bidder and the seller are going to have words about the seller trying to cancel the auction after bids were placed. Gunbroker apparently wouldn't cancel the auction at the request of the seller.

I only ran across it an hour before the end of the auction. Was on my iPad, was 20 minutes before I noticed the "ITEM SOLD" note. Already had my credit card out. grin
http://www.gunbroker.com/item/647560353

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

The Savage 99 Pocket Reference”.
All models and variations of 1895’s, 1899’s and 99’s covered.
Also dates, checkering, engraving.. Find at www.savagelevers.com
BP-B2

S
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
S
JUST WOW! wish it was Me!

Deer Camp! about as good as it gets!
G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
Mercy! And 23 pieces of brass went with it!

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I was watching it until I saw the message that it was no longer for sale-Sold at the end of listing. Tom.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Rory, did the guy sell it and stiff the last bidder and GB? Looks like some one walked in the shop and made him an offer and he just gave every one else the finger? Joe.

I'm not greedy, I just want one of each.

Remember Ira Hayes

JoeMartin
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
The seller claims it was sold off the rack before the first bid, but was busy and slow to pull the auction.
As I said to a forum member yesterday, I smell a rat, but the rat got a nice rifle.

"Every day above ground is a good day."
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I bought an 1899 H 22 HP out from under Saddlring a few years ago. It was a 2 week sale and the guy had an opening bid of $1199, with no bids. I'm a very rule oriented person, so I didn't offer to buy it while the sale was live. On the last day I sent him a message and said "If you don't get an opening bid would you consider $900?" . He said "Sure, we can talk about it". So, two days after the sale, he hadn't relisted it, I called and he said he had a guy come in the shop that was interested too, but if I had the money I could have it. Turned out it was John. He didn't tell me he told John he would hold it for him. Then I posted a pic and John said "I wondered who got my gun", and I felt like a rat for a while. But, John said he was glad I got it and not some stranger. Thanks again John. With the internet I guess you never know if your snatching the rug out from under a friend, Joe.

Remember Ira Hayes

JoeMartin
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
The Q-tip and bottles of cold blue in the top picture would make me a little nervous. Makes you wonder why the seller didn't set a minimum or a reserve.

Last edited by S99VG; 05/24/17.

"The universal aptitude for ineptitude makes any human accomplishment an incredible miracle." John Stapp - "Stapp's Law"
"Klaatu barada nikto"

Calhoun Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
First bid was 11am on 5/16, seller updated auction describe. on 5/18 that it was sold. The winning bidder bid on 5/18 also.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Little fishy, Joe.

Remember Ira Hayes

JoeMartin
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Yah, that is going to get ugly unless the last bidder is a 'nice guy' GB will want their 70 buck fee on the selling price regardless!

GB is absolutely rigid on not cancelling an auction with a bid. Has caused me some heartburn over the years. And, they are not good communicators at all.

I am no longer accepting orders for the Lightfoot scope mount.
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker

It would be interesting to see if the GB listing w/bid can & will be persued as a legal document in which case the high bidder is the legal owner.
The rack buyer's got a 5 day head start. Plenty of time to bury it.

Will probably end just like it is. A happy rack buyer, a pissed off auction buyer and a red faced Seller who should be banned from GB.

Calhoun Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Southern_WI_Savage
Will probably end just like it is. A happy rack buyer, a pissed off auction buyer and a red faced Seller who should be banned from GB.

But was it a rack buyer, or somebody who called or PM'd the seller and asked him to name a price to sell it now off of gunbroker?

Don't know if gunbroker keeps a log of the questions sent to sellers, but if so that could get even uglier.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I've never found GB to be at all helpful in solving problems between buyer & seller. They provide the venue for the auctions to occur and don't want to be bothered with your problems.

I am no longer accepting orders for the Lightfoot scope mount.
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Calhoun
Originally Posted by Southern_WI_Savage

But was it a rack buyer, or somebody who called or PM'd the seller and asked him to name a price to sell it now off of gunbroker?

Don't know if gunbroker keeps a log of the questions sent to sellers, but if so that could get even uglier.

Regardless, the Seller is in violation. GB was not contacted until after a bid and that is why the auction was not closed.

It is a good thing that this happened in New York. Plenty of lawyers to sort it out...

P
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
P
Originally Posted by S99VG
The Q-tip and bottles of cold blue in the top picture would make me a little nervous. Makes you wonder why the seller didn't set a minimum or a reserve.

Yep, also looks like a Birchwood Casey gun blue touch-up pen in the pic....

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Is there anything legally binding about a GB sale? Something like a contract that says you will sell to the buyer as long as the buyer meets the conditions (minimum bid, reserve, FFL, etc.) of the sale. If not, then the seller could just tell the buyer to blow it out his ear. He may never sell on GB anymore, but what the hey...

"The universal aptitude for ineptitude makes any human accomplishment an incredible miracle." John Stapp - "Stapp's Law"
"Klaatu barada nikto"

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
The seller is literally across the river from me, and I didn't know he existed, so I don't think it's a storefront operation. I intend to find out more about the seller and the victor if I can.

"...One Nation under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for All"

JeffG
Calhoun Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Doubt a buyer of a $3000 gun is going to pay out the money for a lawyer to try to get satisfaction. For what he pays the lawyer, he could hit a future auction and buy a 95% Victor.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

"You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass"
~Admiral Yamamoto~

When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty. ~Thomas Jefferson~
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
705 members (12344mag, 10gaugemag, 11point, 10Glocks, 160user, 117LBS, 87 invisible), 2,716 guests, and 1,287 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,691
Posts18,399,843
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.