Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
M
MMM Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Every dog we have had for the last 20-25 yrs has been a stray that stuck around. We have been living in rural areas during that time and and as you well know if you live rural, they just show up. Some have been bad news and we ran them off. Have never had to shoot one. Some we make friends with and invite them to stay, so they become our dogs. Over the years, there have been a few that just seemed to want/need to keep moving, we tried to keep them and take care of them but after a few days we woke up and they were gone. The current crop is two Lab males and a little feist female, they have each been with us for several years.

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by USMC2602
Good on you deerstalker. Looks like you're getting as much as you give!

what he said, kudos to you sir.

Mickey Coleman is smiling down benevolently at ya.

I'm pretty certain when we sing our anthem and mention the land of the free, the original intent didn't mean cell phones, food stamps and birth control.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
oh and wife and kids are how I came by current set of dogs. They drug em home.

last dog I brought home, well I still miss that gal, she was a good'un, god rest her soul. (and yep she had one ime&o)

I'm pretty certain when we sing our anthem and mention the land of the free, the original intent didn't mean cell phones, food stamps and birth control.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Pixie the Wonderbeagle came to us as a rescue. She had been attacked and routinely bullied by one of those loving, gentle pit bulls we hear so much about. The poor dog was scared of her own shadow. Lots of love, and even more trust led her to decide we met her needs. She was a great house dog, and the star celebrity of my wife's preschool. She never missed a morning meeting, and was the center of attention. She was best buddies with our two cats. She would wait for Squeek to inspect her food before eating. If Squeek didn't immediately come to her dish, she'd bark for her just once, then growl once, and if Squeek still didn't come, she'd go find her and carry her to the food dish and wait for the cat to inspect her dish. That dog would have starved to death if the cat had died first. Sadly, she left us to cross the Rainbow Bridge early last winter. Our house hasn't been the same every since. Damned dogs just work their way into your heart and never let go. We miss her very much.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
My son rescued (his) dog right before he was to move into his new house....well, he,s gone and the dog is still here. That was 3 years now.... She is a good one tho. Very independent, likes her own space.... A lot like me...

IC B2

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I decided many years ago that any time I was at my house I wanted to have a dog follow my every step. I wanted to give up bathroom privacy, wanted to run the risk of having a dog bail in the shower with me too. I decided that if I had a companion who wanted to be either running, eating, or sleeping I might have to try and keep up. So I got a Blue Heeler. Lost my first male to an a$$hole who "sure thought he looked like a coyote" standing in my yard.... Wife came as a package deal with a female Heeler. After 3 years of mourning my first Heeler, I got a new male who is 15 months old now and starting to have a couple hours each day of not being a puppy and is starting to act like a dog....[Linked Image] Female and my old male
[Linked Image] With the Pup when he was about 6 months
[Linked Image] Most recent I have of the Pup

Last edited by Chumleyhunts; 05/23/17.

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, used up, worn out, bottle of Jim Beam in one hand and a .45 in the other, loudly proclaiming WOW-- What a Ride!"
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Eleven years ago, some friends called us up and said that there was a dog hanging around their house and could we keep it in our kennel while they put an ad in the paper. I went and picked up the skinniest and footsore German Wire Hair Pointer that you would ever see.
A month went by with no response to the ads.
As it was the middle of summer, I took him out to a standing green wheat field with a shotgun figuring that if I shot, he would be gunshy or something. He casted out in front of me never getting more than about fourty yards away. Finally he went into a point and I kicked up a hen quail which I overshot. He marked it like a pro.

Then he turned around and looked at me like I was some kind of idiot or something and went back to hunting.

I think someone was really bummed that they lost him.
[Linked Image]

Last edited by Kenlguy; 05/23/17.

I could wish a lot of things on my worst enemy but neuropathy ain't one of them.
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
I got a treeing feist from My uncle in N.C. 12 years ago. She was almost 4 when I got her. Well trained in doors and never barks unless completely stirred up by my wife. I got her because my aunt and uncle are older and are not leash people. First time Suzy wandered off sdhe visited a neighbor who fed her . So every time she was loose she headed to get fed. My uncle did not like the people and at the time I had him looking for a dog for me, so I ended up with her. Now at almost 16 she does not wander and acts a bit senile, but I still love her. I am not looking forward to the day I have to replace her........

N
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
N
Tbone here on the Fire was advertising a litter of GSPs. I picked one out and 9 years later it's pretty clear she's probably the best dog I'll ever have.....

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Biden's most truthful quote ever came during his first press conference, 03/25/21.
Drum roll please...... "I don't know, to be clear." and THAT is one promise he's kept!!!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 2legit2quit
Originally Posted by USMC2602
Good on you deerstalker. Looks like you're getting as much as you give!

what he said, kudos to you sir.

Mickey Coleman is smiling down benevolently at ya.

yeah Mickey and i talked at some length about dogs and the people that don't deserve them.

the consolidation of the states into one vast republic, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of that ruin which has overwhelmed all those that have preceded. Robert E Lee
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
IC B3

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
2 from the local shelter and the 3rd showed up pregnant on July 4th week, 3 years ago. She had 10 puppies about a week after she showed up and we kept them for 8 weeks, found homes for a few and a rescue took the rest.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
[Linked Image]
this is /was Kita. Kita was .next to my wife, the best friend i ever had and ever expect to have.
i made a trip to Palmer AK. one year and my sister had this big gangley pup that was all feet . it was love at first sight for both of us. as my sister had bought him as protection for a friend who was living alone in Anchorage and the gal had moved into no pets allowed apartments, he was up for grabs.
brought him down here to Idaho when he was 6 months old and he just kept on growing. at his prime he tipped 145 lbs and no fat. saw him back down sow griz more then once. only thing he back peddled for was moose. he just figured anything that ugly had to be out of his league.
he had a sense of humor like no other dog i ever had.
he would step into the brush and that coat of his would make him invisible. he would wait for me to come walking down the two track and jump out noisily and give me a heart attack, or he would jump out and clip me with his shoulder and knock me ass over tea kettle, then stand and laugh at me.
i pray that dogs go to heaven cause i want to see that one again. had him for 16 years and cancer got him. how i hate cancer.

the consolidation of the states into one vast republic, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of that ruin which has overwhelmed all those that have preceded. Robert E Lee
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
I snuck up on him

Camp is where you make it.
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
He was a stray that showed up about 11 years back. By a long ways, he's the best dog I've ever had.

He's the one in the middle, 'tween dad and my bride.
[Linked Image]

Corn fed.
[Linked Image]

He loves soybeans but they give him horrific gas.

Black Cows Matter!
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Rocky Mountain Lab rescue..We wanted another heeler but guys are crazy asking $1000 for them now.Even the humane society asks $300-$400.

$200 for a lab that is greatful to have a good loving home and shows it every day

Last edited by saddlesore; 05/23/17.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Kinda funny story about my latest dog.
We had lost our Aussie "Pal", and it was a hard deal, but after a coupla years the wife came home and said there were some pup's on facebook. Showed me the pictures, and I looked at them, and commented that the one was a female for sure what with the fine features. Cute looking little thing.
Well they were up on a ranch on the Gros Ventre, but we took the drive to check them out. Thought we had missed our chance, because the people were not home, but they had just been down the road feeding their horses. Lady asked if we had seen the pup's but no we had not. She said that they were under the porch with the bitch, and took us over to the house to see them.
She called them out and one ran out and sat down right by my boot. Well I saw immediately that it was the little female I had seen on the Facebook post, and god as my witness, she sat there like she belonged right there. I reached down and picked her up and just stood there. Wife says"Don't you want to look at the other pup's?" I said"Nope! This is the one!"
I've had her now for almost two years(Or she has had me?) She is Aussie x Catahoula and the best dog I have ever had the honor to provide a home for. Wants nothing more than to be by my side. I named her "Frannie"

Last edited by byron; 05/23/17.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
[quote=Nebraska]Tbone here on the Fire was advertising a litter of GSPs. I picked one out and 9 years later it's pretty clear she's probably the best dog I'll ever have.....

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

/quote]

You lyin Bastid!! That is a Chocolate Lab and you docked his tail!!!! Fer Christ's sake, tell the truth.

When its time to fight, you fight like you are the third monkey on the ramp to get on Noah's Arc... and brother, it is starting to rain!

The chair is against the wall.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I love dog threads so much more than people threads.

smile

[Linked Image]

Here's "the little monkey head", 22lbs. and going on 10 weeks old.

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by kingston
I love dog threads so much more than people threads.

smile

[Linked Image]

Here's "the little monkey head", 22lbs. and going on 10 weeks old.

Shifty looking little bastid and eats leaves.
He'd fit right in around here.

Sally and Sophie.

[Linked Image]

Sophie.....she's 13 and about done hunting now.
I got her from a friend of a friend that lives up in Spokane because of the Grief bloodlines. I wasn't disappointed.

[Linked Image]

Sally (Mtn Cur with a tich of Plott)...I got her from a friend over in eastern ID.
Probably the smartest dog I've ever owned.

[Linked Image]

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Nebraska
Tbone here on the Fire was advertising a litter of GSPs. I picked one out and 9 years later it's pretty clear she's probably the best dog I'll ever have.....

[Linked Image]

Reminds me of my old Pete dog that died at 14 a couple of years ago.
Best bird dog I ever owned and I've owned a few. I miss him every day.

[Linked Image]

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

92 members (14idaho, 280shooter, 6mmbrfan, 10Glocks, 2500HD, 300_savage, 9 invisible), 1,540 guests, and 729 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,599
Posts18,454,518
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.