Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I'm hoping to get in some fly fishing next week. I finally need to take the plunge and get some felt nazi approved wading boots. What's good and what's not?

BP-B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Sounds like you need a new pair fairly quickly. Personally, if I were to buy a new pair and I needed them quickly, it would probably be the Simms Headwater Pro Boot, which seems to be well-made, but I'm leery of Imported footwear, unless made in Italy. I am not sure where Simms wading boots are made. Years ago I had a pair of Cabela's store brand felt boots and they worked well enough, but I don't think they would be a good choice for hard use. I've been looking for a new pair, but none of the usual suspects seem to have made in USA boots. Definitely stay away from boots made in China if you expect to use them more than a few times.

l told my pap and mam I was going to be a mountain man; acted like they was gut-shot. Make your life go here. Here's where the peoples is. Mother Gue, I says, the Rocky Mountains is the marrow of the world, and by God, I was right.
- Del Gue
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Simms headwaters are good. I've had a pair of freestones for quite a few years and have been happy with them. Whichever kind you get don't forget to get the studs or star cleats for them, you'll want them.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I don't think you can even use felt soled waders in AK anymore. Better check with ADF&G before shelling out any $$. Pretty sure you have to use rubber soles nowadays?

Jeff

Last edited by akjeff; 05/22/17.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by akjeff
I don't think you can even use felt soled waders in AK anymore.

You are correct.

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular

I don't think you can even use felt soled waders in AK anymore. Better check with ADF&G before shelling out any $$. Pretty sure you have to use rubber soles nowadays?

Jeff

I'm assuming with the "felt nazi approved" comment he's got that figured out. None of the new treads are as good as felt on the snot slime, but with studs/cleats they work pretty well. OTOH vibram soles are much better for the hike in than the felts.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Yes that's why I made the felt nazi approved comment and why I need to replace my felt soled boots.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Felt can have so many meanings!

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
Felt can have so many meanings!

I felt the same way reading this.

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
My feelers are getting hurt

IC B3

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
If anyone is ever in need of unlawful equipment for the state they're in go to Cabelas. You can get 209 muzzleloaders and battery powered decoys for full bore price down here so I'm sure Cabelas will have felt sole wading boots for MSRP or slightly more. 😉

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 458 Lott
My feelers are getting hurt

"Officer, they're feel soles. I removed the felt ones yesterday."

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I am liking my Patagonia's a lot for a non feeler boot. I put aluminum and hard steel studs both on mine and I haven't taken a spill yet. But I have not been in any big water with them yet nothing bigger than the San Juan. But snot covered rocks we got around here.

Mine ran a little narrow so if possible try them on with neoprene booties or the actual waders your going to wear. You can't beat the Patagonia guarantee I traded in a pair of flats boots and got 100% off on the new boots.

Sims and Korkers are good too.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Big thing about wading safely is the size of the rocks... rivers with smallish, nearly identical stones are a joy to wade... rivers with great big rocks down to sand with lots of everything between suck!

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
Big thing about wading safely is the size of the rocks... rivers with smallish, nearly identical stones are a joy to wade... rivers with great big rocks down to sand with lots of everything between suck!

there's something to be said for a semi regular walking surface. whether hauling a sheep out or fishing.

I'm pretty certain when we sing our anthem and mention the land of the free, the original intent didn't mean cell phones, food stamps and birth control.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I feel like a moron, having missed the obvious innuendo on felt! shocked Now I'm feeling the pain from you smart azzes! smile

Jeff

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I thought I had waded slick rivers in PA ... then I went to Alaska. That shidt is slicker than ice. I use cleats/screws now. Still slick, but better.

I do not entertain hypotheticals. The world itself is vexing enough. -- Col. Stonehill
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'll not suggest a specific brand, but suggest looking for simplistic assembly. Boots with great numbers of fabric cutouts and areas for drainage have a lot of stitching. Those exposed threads get rapidly abraded as one moves along mindlessly wading by feel. The KISS principle applies when it comes to putting boots together.

These:
Boots link
or something of similar construction should be quite durable.

1Minute
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

I feel like a moron, having missed the obvious innuendo on felt! shocked Now I'm feeling the pain from you smart azzes! smile

Jeff

Ditto

l told my pap and mam I was going to be a mountain man; acted like they was gut-shot. Make your life go here. Here's where the peoples is. Mother Gue, I says, the Rocky Mountains is the marrow of the world, and by God, I was right.
- Del Gue
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Simms G3 boots with the hardbite star cleats have performed very well for me this year on rocky and gravely streams/rivers.

I bought mine 1 size large to accommodate for the wader footie and I'm glad I did.

-Matt

"The proof of the whisky is in the drinking, the proof of the rifle is in the shooting."
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
108 members (16penny, 257_X_50, 338Rules, 444Matt, 32_20fan, 14 invisible), 1,745 guests, and 804 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,726
Posts18,400,701
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.