Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
P
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
P
Besides guns, one of my other interests is reading (history, military memoirs, American history).

I'm currently reading "John Adams" by David McCullough.

In the long line after, I have on deck "Truman" also by McCullough, and "1776" again, by McCullough.

I find it refreshing to jump from one point in history to another, then back again. Keeps me interested. I won't even get into how many memoirs I have in my collection from WWII, mostly from the German perspective. Actually, I'd say it's pretty evenly divided. I just ordered six more books tonight, mainly focusing on the Founding Fathers. On a big Revolutionary War kick as of late.

[Linked Image]

GB2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Very interesting book!

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Just finished The Perfect Pass by S.C. Gwynne, which traces the development of the "Air Raid" offense that has infected football. Very informative book.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
G
g5m Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I'm reading "American Betrayal" by Diana West. It's not a fun read.

Retired cat herder.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Young Earth by Frank Morris -- an apologetic for a 6-10k year old earth by using a historical-grammatical interpretation of Genesis.

FYI, radioisotope dating is not accurate between the different isotopes and even if it were, it would call for uniformitarianism or a physical steady-state decay rate which, at very best for the evolutionist, is arguable - highly.

Very informative.

IC B2

P
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
P
Originally Posted by 5sdad
Just finished The Perfect Pass by S.C. Gwynne, which traces the development of the "Air Raid" offense that has infected football. Very informative book.

i have read it before, i find it very interesting...

P
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
P
Originally Posted by George_De_Vries_3rd

Young Earth by Frank Morris -- an apologetic for a 6-10k year old earth by using a historical-grammatical interpretation of Genesis.

FYI, radioisotope dating is not accurate between the different isotopes and even if it were, it would call for uniformitarianism or a physical steady-state decay rate which, at very best for the evolutionist, is arguable - highly.

Very informative.

an apologetic for a 6-10k year old earth --i guess this is my next book. can i find it on amazon ?

G
g5m Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G

Very informative.

Would that be John Morris?

Retired cat herder.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
The Reformation by Will Durant. I'm about ¾ through a 1,000 page history of the Reformation of the Roman Catholic Church leading to Protestantism. Very interesting and very enlightening.

L.W.

"Always go straight forward, and if you meet the devil, cut him in two and go between the pieces." (William Sturgis, clipper ship captain, 1830s.)
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Dynasty by Tom Holland

[Linked Image]

Almost done, pretty good. Don't love his writing style but the subject matter is great.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I've read several of McCullough's books, and must say that I've enjoyed them all. Check out his bio of Harry S. Truman if you can.

I'm just finishing up "Clash of the Carriers", about the "Great Marianas Turkey Shoot". Fixing to get into "Observing Hancock", about Union General Winfield S. Hancock at Gettysburg.
7mm

"Preserving the Constitution, fighting off the nibblers and chippers, even nibblers and chippers with good intentions, was once regarded by conservatives as the first duty of the citizen. It still is." � Wesley Pruden

W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
De Shootinest Gent'man & Other Tales, Really good book. It's a little hard to read because it's written in the way people spoke in the early 1900s. Just about ready to start JACK HINSON'S ONE-MAN WAR.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My primary reading is here on the internet and on forums that interest me. I don't get any magazines except for the ones that come with the NRA memberships.

Here on the internet I can find the topic I want and even write there on that forum what I want about it.

You can use the website : www.boardreader.com to find forums on topics that interest you,

All guns should be locked up when not in use!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Savage_99
My primary reading is here on the internet and on forums that interest me. I don't get any magazines except for the ones that come with the NRA memberships.

Here on the internet I can find the topic I want and even write there on that forum what I want about it.

You can use the website : www.boardreader.com to find forums on topics that interest you,

I think that's about the fifth time I have read that post. You should write a new one.

Maybe you can find one on the Internet.

Let's Go Brandon! FJB
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
"The Perfect Pass", SC Gwynne. Recommended by 5sdad. Gwynne also wrote "Empire Of The Summer Moon".

Good read and good history if you like football. Goes back to the reasons teams run spread offenses, how they work and the coaches that developed it. Bill Walsh, Lavell Edwards, Hal Mumme and others.

Mike Leach, Texas Tech and Washington St., an atty who never played a down of college football, gets a lot of credit for what he's done with it but he learned it as an assistant to Mumme at Iowa Wesyan, a school that had a poor football tradition until Mumme got there. Mumme turned them into winners in three years but his contract wasn't renewed. They didn't give a reason but it appears Iowa Wesleyan didn't think a winning football program was worth what went with it.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Overall this has been quite good (except for one bad error or bad metaphor) in the first story, which is too bad because it's a pretty good story otherwise. Some solid work overall though, worth a read if you like short stories. I like short stories. Couple more to go in this one.
[Linked Image]

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by huntinaz
Overall this has been quite good (except for one bad error or bad metaphor) in the first story, which is too bad because it's a pretty good story otherwise. Some solid work overall though, worth a read if you like short stories. I like short stories. Couple more to go in this one.
[Linked Image]

Update:

The last couple stories were largely bad. Flashes of excellence notwithstanding, overall a mediocre body of work. Heralded as the next great short story writer, Saunders falls very short in my opinion. Some very good mixed with garbage. Too much writing about things he doesn't understand or has misinterpreted. It's like he does understand a good deal of human emotion and then weaves it into an uninteresting story or ruins a good story with weird dream-state crap. The story Escape From Spiderhead is great. I also like Puppy and and Al Roosten. Flashes of genius in Tenth of December and The Semplica Girl Diaries (although most of this one I did not care for and the good is better captured in Puppy and Al Roosten). Without the futuristic intoxicant nonsense My Chivalric Fiaso would have been a great story.

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
So far it's been a good read (now on chapter 7 IIRC).
Kid got me a signed copy.
Raining out so started this today.

Not into autobiographies or celebrity really, but the guy is pretty interesting (fencer, pilot, frontman for a heavy metal band).

Been into Maiden since '80, seen 'em a few times too. Good fun.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by hookeye; 11/12/17.
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger

I hate reading, but I am consumed by George Custer. So I keep plugging away at books about him. After a lot of careful reading, you come to understand what a man Custer really was...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by g5m

Very informative.

Would that be John Morris?

John Morris, also a geologist, is Henry’s son.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
675 members (17CalFan, 10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 1minute, 10ring1, 12308300, 79 invisible), 2,737 guests, and 1,308 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,644
Posts18,399,029
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.