Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Lily, the love hound, was the neighbor's dog. However, they were abusing and neglecting their dozen or so dogs that she moved up the road and lived on the front porch of our hunting cabin. She lived off our table scraps 2 days a week. On Halloween weekend she gave birth to her second litter of pups in the weeds out behind one of our sheds. It was then we decided to adopt her. My neighbor agreed, but demanded the pups for himself. I set up a bed for her in one of our barns. Whenever I let her in that barn she goes to that spot and cries.

Lily came home with us after deer season ended. We got her spayed and she's been grateful to us ever since. You can still see evidence of the hard times she had. For one thing, she spends a good deal of time by the truck and would live in the back seat if she could. She's deathly afraid we're going to leave her behind. Also, on the 10th anniversary of her birthing her last litter, she became very fussy. It was cold and drizzling, just as it had been in 2004. She made me follow her into the yard, and she stopped at the exact place where she'd had her pups and cried pitifully. She was grieving all her puppies that were now dead.

Jay is a collie that we got from the Collie Rescue in 2006. They told us he would never be fit for anything but a pen. He and his mother had been picked up on a back road in Virgina. We got him from a volunteer north of Columbus, Ohio. I tamed Jay by holding him every night like a baby and scratching his belly. He's mad about KYHillChick and he and Lily are best buddies. He was always skittish around me. He was scared of my size, my beard, etc. He does not like men with hats. However, over the years, he's calmed down and now comes and lays over my lap.

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer
GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Smiling here!

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
That Pete was a handsome devil!

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
I got my Lab from a breeder. They had the pups, still just little fur balls at the time, out in the utility room floor.

They were all walking around oblivious to me and wrestling with each other.

One little dark yellow one broke free from the pack, walked over, looked up at me for a second, and then started wrestling with the cuff of my jeans.

I said, "I guess this one's mine".

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
I told my grown son we need not need another dog. So he brought home a mixed PB pup cute dog. Next thing the dickhead gets arrested for the tenth time and now we have the dog..................Crap..

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I wanted a dog for my boys to grow up with. I wanted a pointing breed with a beard. My wife wanted one that didn't shed too much. I got it narrowed down to wirehaired griffon, drathaar, and pudelpointer. A quick look at puppy pics and my wife settled on pudelpointer. We had our minds made up that we wanted a female, but after being on 3 waiting lists for nearly a year a litter of all males happened and we ended up with Hank!
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My wife found Heidi through an ad in the Thrifty Nickle. She was 6 months old living in a chicken pen on a ranch in Penrose, CO.
[Linked Image]

Peyton was named after the small town east of Colorado Springs where we found him. A single blue heeler gets bored so we were looking for a companion and found him.
[Linked Image]

Heidi and Peyton reached age 14 or 15 and their health began to decline. We couldn't bear the idea of a quiet house so we got Leotie from a breeder in Oklahoma. For a while we had 3 heelers.
[Linked Image]

After the older dogs passed Leotiie found herself alone. Last summer we drove to Tulsa to get Cassidy from a breeder there.
[Linked Image]

G
g5m Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Ours is a rescue. She was used in a puppy mill and the authorities took her and about a hundred others away from the guy. They took his children away, too. She was one of ten or so sent to the state and she was so unsocialized and thought to be unsocializable that she wasn't even allowed to be put up for adoption. Our daughter who worked at the Humane Society took her and had her for several years then when daughter moved out of state we took her. She's gone from slinking away and hiding whenever a person went in the room to greeting everybody and being a normal loved pooch. But it has taken years.

Retired cat herder.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
My current companion "Sasha" is a Chocolate Lab that came to me from South Florida Lab Rescue when I lived down in Sunrise back in 2010. She was 18 months old when she came home with me (not sure who rescued who) and had been kept crated for 20 hours or more each day, she was a mess but has rebounded.
Sasha is my first rescue and I couldn't be more pleased, in the past my labs had come from breeders and were hunters; Sasha is the family pet and her hunting activities consist of chasing the squirrels and rabbits in the yard.

StarchedCover

Semper Fi
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
My Marlee is a five yr old Chessie. Got her from Spinnaker in Kansas. The most beautiful Chessies in the world, but, they are very, very driven, and don't tolerate much downtime. Scary smart/perceptive, and i'm quite convinced this dog can read my mind

1/504 PIR
IC B3

B
B
[img]https://scontent-sjc2-1.xx.fbcdn.ne...a00bc6c73acb7702ba33c6b2&oe=59B991CE[/img]

Found a breeder in Nebraska that had a future litter with pedigree full of National Field Trial Champions. I had him paid for before the breeding took place. She sent him on the airlines and I picked him up at SFO.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
This is my first dog when I was 3 years old, his name was Tippy

[Linked Image]

Fast forward almost 20 years my next dog was Lucky

[Linked Image]

Then I went to Beagles because I liked to rabbit hunt, this is Trump my first beagle

[Linked Image]

The problem with dogs is their life span is too short, I've buried some good dogs over the years. Dolly liked to ride with me on the scooter

[Linked Image]

Last edited by Longhunter_1; 05/25/17.
R
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
R
This one had us drive 200 miles so he could 'get us'

[Linked Image]

FJB & FJT
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
This one is the result of a guys champion bloodline Chessie getting in the same kennel with the champion bloodline Lab who was in heat.
She's no champion anything but she's great with the kids.No one messes with them if she's around.

[img][IMG]http://i1267.photobucket.com/albums/jj554/veneman78/IMG_20170304_101803_zpsyei54w4r.jpg[/img][/img]

"The Ballpark burgers were free, why not eat them?"
- Wabi-
I
Campfire Tracker
Online Happy
Campfire Tracker
I
Originally Posted by RUM7
This one is the result of a guys champion bloodline Chessie getting in the same kennel with the champion bloodline Lab who was in heat.
She's no champion anything but she's great with the kids.No one messes with them if she's around.

[img][IMG]http://i1267.photobucket.com/albums/jj554/veneman78/IMG_20170304_101803_zpsyei54w4r.jpg[/img][/img]

My goodness your little girl has an infectious smile!

If you're not burning through batteries in your headlamp,...you're doing it wrong.
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I had Labs most of my life until about 12 years ago working for a trainer I decided to try English Setters and they are special but Sure do like all dogs though[Linked Image][Linked Image]

Still trying to be the Man my dogs think I am
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by iddave

My goodness your little girl has an infectious smile!

Thanks,
She's a hand full. I expect she will do great things one day.

"The Ballpark burgers were free, why not eat them?"
- Wabi-
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna

I'd say that there dog was a two time Champion!

Paul

"I'd rather see a sermon than hear a sermon".... D.A.D.

Trump Won!, Sandmann Won!, Rittenhouse Won!, Suck it Liberal Fuuktards.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Every other dog I get is always from a shelter, and every other is from a breeder. I alternate.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
This is Dolly, As soon as I brought her home we started the bonding process

[Linked Image]

She was a great hunter and a great pal

[Linked Image]

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

673 members (12344mag, 1234, 163bc, 06hunter59, 17CalFan, 160user, 66 invisible), 2,426 guests, and 1,258 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,627
Posts18,455,165
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.