Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#12051266 05/24/17
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Although I've only seen a few A-10's in my lifetime, I've always liked them. According to what we read, the AF has been trying to get rid of them for years. Now that has been reversed according to this report. The U-2 and F15C are also being spared.

When my son was in Iraq, he said an Apache was their first choice for air support, but the A-10 was a mighty close second. Everything else was a distant 3rd.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/m/2da749f0-09e1-3336-9b0d-c26ed070c8f0/ss_the-us-air-force-makes-it.html

https://www.yahoo.com/news/m/2ddb9783-970c-35cf-a0f1-1e25741c96c9/ss_course-change%3A-the-us-air.html

(not sure why the second one didnt go to link)

Last edited by Oldman03; 05/24/17.

Old Turd- Deplorable- Unrepentant Murderer- Domestic Violent Extremist

Just "Campfire Riffraff and Trash"

This will be my last post! Flave 1/3/21
BP-B2

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
long live the a10, c130, buff, f15 and u2. i spent a lot of time around all of them in the AF. if something ain't broke, don't fix it.

My diploma is a DD214
W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
Randy, you got up to Frog Level just a little too late. Barksdale had a reserve unit of A-10s there all through the '90s and into the 2000s.
Saw them all the time when I was crow hunting. They got used to seeing my old red F-100 driving around the back roads and followed me one day. You can't hear them coming only, as they pass over. Heard a loud roar, looked up and there he was, about 100 FEET away looking right down at me.

Last edited by websterparish47; 05/24/17.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
One of my neighbors use to fly A-10s out of Gowen Field. He took our Boy Scout troop on a tour and let them fly the simulator. Very cool. He was an active participant on the Highway of Death when they chased Sadam's boys out of Kuwait and had lots of great stories. Just doing his part in the 72 Virgins Dating Service.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by websterparish47
Randy, you got up to Frog Level just a little too late. Barksdale had a reserve unit of A-10s there all through the '90s and into the 2000s.
Saw them all the time when I was crow hunting. They got used to seeing my old red F-100 driving around the back roads and followed me one day. You can't hear them coming only, as they pass over. Heard a loud roar, looked up and there he was, about 100 FEET away looking right down at me.

Alan and I was fishing on Toledo Bend one day and both of us were sitting there facing south. All of a sudden there was a terrible roar just behind us. We turned around and one of the A-10's was within 100 yds of us, pulling up. Apparently he had used us for sighting practice or just fooling around, but if he'd had a BB gun, we would of been toast. Like you said, you can't hear them coming. He tipped his wings a couple of times and off he went.

Old Turd- Deplorable- Unrepentant Murderer- Domestic Violent Extremist

Just "Campfire Riffraff and Trash"

This will be my last post! Flave 1/3/21
IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
That was my dream airplane, because I'm an air-to-mud guy. But I fell in the twilight zone of pilot overages after 'Nam. Fighter slots were zealously guarded by existing fighter jocks, and no newcomer need apply. I was ground attack qualified, but that didn't count enough. Sigh...

Hill AFB is the world maintenance depot for the A-10 among many other aircraft, so we see them flying in and out (with new wings) all the time.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
A kid I used to know, worked on the gun. He called the linked ammo the "party mix"

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I worked on the A-10 for a tad over 7 years, besides the KC-135R the A-10 was my favorite aircraft to work on as they hardly ever broke for us. Long live the Warthog!

That's ok, I'll ass shoot a dink.

Steelhead

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by RockyRaab
That was my dream airplane, because I'm an air-to-mud guy. But I fell in the twilight zone of pilot overages after 'Nam. Fighter slots were zealously guarded by existing fighter jocks, and no newcomer need apply. I was ground attack qualified, but that didn't count enough. Sigh...

Hill AFB is the world maintenance depot for the A-10 among many other aircraft, so we see them flying in and out (with new wings) all the time.

Say goodbye to the hogs at Hill, They are on their way to another base, New Mexico I think.
I know a E7 at Hill who's main headache is keeping a balance of parts and planes matched during the transition.
BTW, I'll bet I'm the only guy on the fire that has a 30mm cannon barrel from a A-10 in his garage

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Tracks

Say goodbye to the hogs at Hill, They are on their way to another base, New Mexico I think.
I know a E7 at Hill who's main headache is keeping a balance of parts and planes matched during the transition.
BTW, I'll bet I'm the only guy on the fire that has a 30mm cannon barrel from a A-10 in his garage

Maybe halfway right,.....I about 4 foot of breech end, abiding in a friend's garage,......He has one uncut minty one left, for his own BP Arty pursuits, too.

GTC

Last edited by crossfireoops; 05/24/17.

Member, Clan of the Border Rats
-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

IC B3

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I used to live, basically, at the end of the runway at Martin State Airport in Maryland. There was, maybe still is, a squadron of A-10s there. So I used to see them all the time. I love them things.
Did you know there is no trainer version of that aircraft? You qualify in the sim then they put you in the plane and it's make it or break it time. Must be a very forgiving aircraft to fly.

Stupidity is expensive
If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!
K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Originally Posted by Oldman03
Originally Posted by websterparish47

Alan and I was fishing on Toledo Bend one day and both of us were sitting there facing south. All of a sudden there was a terrible roar just behind us. We turned around and one of the A-10's was within 100 yds of us, pulling up. Apparently he had used us for sighting practice or just fooling around, but if he'd had a BB gun, we would of been toast. Like you said, you can't hear them coming. He tipped his wings a couple of times and off he went.

Yeah! We used to see and hear em shoot at Claiborne al the time when we were down in the Kisachtie by Alec!

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

What action and stock are you going to use it with...? wink

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular

Spent the earlier part of the month at Hill with all the folks who are collectively involved with the A-10. Just a handful of the Boeing wings to go and the entire delivery of 178 wings will be complete and replacements performed. That's not the current fleet but what the contract was for. There is a new date for retirement of the A-10 but it was emphasized that like many things gov't...not anything people are hanging their hats on.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S

I'm more interested in what recoil pad he's going to use!

Stupidity is expensive
If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Nice jet that's in reality in the twilight of it's stellar career. The maintenance burden will continue to go up for a very limited number of airframes to the point that congress will have to shovel a lot of money into it by name to keep it airborne. Sad but we've all seen other platforms where they were the premiere platform for the mission go the same way (F-111, F-14, A-6).

Had 2 go over the cabin last weekend from the Maryland Guard on a VR route. They were about 500' AGL but so slow (even at cruise) I was worried about them getting a bird strike from the rear. grin

If something on the internet makes you angry the odds are you're being manipulated
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Snake River Marksman

I hope I can get crossfire to build me a bolt action first, then get Mcmillan to do the stock. I thought about a muzzle brake but that would likely set fire to stuff 30 feet on each side.

Actually that E7 I mentioned, spent the first ten years of his career at Pope and Moody with the Flying Tigers, when he left some of his friends made a plaque with the polished up barrel and a damn big board with some nice wording, It's crated up and in my garage until he gets a place for it.
Damn heavy SOB

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Snake River Marksman

Here's where the muzzle end went, it's now the liner in this original circa 1880's barrel,........the carriage is scratch built of some pretty exotic hardwoods.

[Linked Image]

Member, Clan of the Border Rats
-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Actually, it is the F-16 that's leaving Hill. The last one will depart within a few days. It'll be sad to not see the "Lawn Dart" in our skies any more. We don't have any operational A-10s here, they only come in for depot maintenance or as transients. Our active fleet will now be F-35s. We have 20+ of them now, and there will be three squadrons (78 planes) of them by 2019.

F-35s are a LOT louder than F-16s, by the way. I live 8.5 miles from the end of the runway, and they are loud even from here on takeoff.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Actually, it is the F-16 that's leaving Hill. The last one will depart within a few days. It'll be sad to not see the "Lawn Dart" in our skies any more. We don't have any operational A-10s here, they only come in for depot maintenance or as transients. Our active fleet will now be F-35s. We have 20+ of them now, and there will be three squadrons (78 planes) of them by 2019.

F-35s are a LOT louder than F-16s, by the way. I live 8.5 miles from the end of the runway, and they are loud even from here on takeoff.

You're absolutely right, How the hell I made that mistake?????????
Head up ass this morning.
Dumb. dumb. dumb.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
199 members (32_20fan, 257_X_50, 1minute, 300_savage, 204guy, 10gaugemag, 28 invisible), 2,068 guests, and 969 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,726
Posts18,400,645
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.