Print Thread
Hop To
#12051285 05/24/17
N
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
N
I'm a GSP guy but last week and this week I've been watching a neighbor's Vizla while they're on vacation. This little girl is an absolute sweetheart of a dog and I can see why their owners love them so much. She's a dink and has a sheet-ton of energy/drive but is very gentle too (minus the morning greeting bouncing off the wall happiness nut-checks crazy laugh ). They don't hunt her but I might just have to change that.....bet she'd do great in the field with a little work!

Biden's most truthful quote ever came during his first press conference, 03/25/21.
Drum roll please...... "I don't know, to be clear." and THAT is one promise he's kept!!!
GB1

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
I hunted my vizsla for 13 years. Great dog. Other than the fact could not late season duck hunt ( short coat) with him was a great family/hunting dog

He loved to chase chukar

[Linked Image]

and quail and had an intense point ( sometimes not pretty) and drive

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Last edited by ribka; 05/24/17.
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Mine turned out to be the best bird dog I've had. Mine was a big dog, you see pretty big differences in size throughout the breed. I think finding a hunting pedigree (breeder) is a little tougher than say a GSP or pointer tho.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
well socialized got along great with our other pets

[Linked Image]

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by ribka

[Linked Image]

Mine had an Alf the Alien relationship with cats, I didn't socialize him with cats.. so when he seen one he'd get real "birdie" . I Pulled a few dead ones out of his dog house .

IC B2

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
I saw an absolutely fantastic Visla bitch at the Dallas Safari Club convention this past January. The owner said she was a quail hunting fool. She was quite small, beautifully configured and perfectly behaved. If that fella would have turned his head while I was petting her, I may have grabbed her and made a run for the door.

RS

N
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
N
Originally Posted by ribka

[Linked Image]

Great pics.......and dirty little secrets! 😉

Biden's most truthful quote ever came during his first press conference, 03/25/21.
Drum roll please...... "I don't know, to be clear." and THAT is one promise he's kept!!!
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
A buddy has bred and tested them for over 30 years. They are very nice dogs and I owned one once. Mine had no problem retrieving from cold water (MN and the Dakotas until final freeze in December) but I didn't use him as a dedicated waterfowl dog.

I haven't seen anything negative in his dogs, I just prefer dogs with beards. If my buddy needed help with keeping a dog I would take another in in a heart beat. I just don't see me paying to get one though.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by woodmaster81
A buddy has bred and tested them for over 30 years. They are very nice dogs and I owned one once. Mine had no problem retrieving from cold water (MN and the Dakotas until final freeze in December) but I didn't use him as a dedicated waterfowl dog.

I haven't seen anything negative in his dogs, I just prefer dogs with beards. If my buddy needed help with keeping a dog I would take another in in a heart beat. I just don't see me paying to get one though.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wirehaired_Vizsla

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by rosco1
Originally Posted by woodmaster81

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wirehaired_Vizsla

Thanks for the link but I prefer a real beard on my dogs and not a soul patch! smile

I have seen three of them at tests but have not hunted over one yet. I lean more toward GWP, Pudelpointer, and Griffons in the Continental breeds. I wouldn't turn down a great deal on good bloodlines if the timing was right but under normal circumstances I would go a different direction.

IC B3

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Had one in Uruguay. One of the best Perdiz dogs I ever owned. Pointed and trailed like a champ. Retrieved everything I shot,Perdiz, Ducks, and even the occasional Hare.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I used to own and train GSP's. That was along time ago, but one time I entered my GSP Puppy in an AKC Field trial. It was run by the Illinois Vizla Hunting Dog Club. And ran at the old Bong Air Force Base in Wisconsin. I managed to win the trial against 39 other pointing breeds. At that time it was largest Puppy wins in AKC History. I paid a lot of money for that Pup and breeding was the key. That being said, I stayed for the whole trial that included Derby dogs, All-Age dogs, Pro and amateur stakes and I got to see some wonderful Vizla's. I told my wife that if I ever had another dog it would be a Vizla. My GSP lived for a long time and He sired a littler and I couldn't pass up taking one. I seemed to have forgotten about what I told my wife at that trial, but I remember it now. If you are looking for a good one, find a reputable breeder. Don't skip on the money. In Hunting dogs, you get what you pay for. You can't go wrong looking at Vizla's

Better to be over the hill than under it.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have three and for me they are the best dog around. My pup won the nationals in the puppy stakes in Wyoming in field trials and still likes to spend time on the chair. They are called the Velcro dog because they want to be with you at all time and I do mean at all times. They are sweet, good hunters, protective, and can be whatever you want. Don't get one if you want to lay on the couch without them on you. They don't do well with personal space.

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
Originally Posted by joes
I have three and for me they are the best dog around. My pup won the nationals in the puppy stakes in Wyoming in field trials and still likes to spend time on the chair. They are called the Velcro dog because they want to be with you at all time and I do mean at all times. They are sweet, good hunters, protective, and can be whatever you want. Don't get one if you want to lay on the couch without them on you. They don't do well with personal space.

"personal space"?? Any space you're in is their personal space!! Love my vizsla's! Hunting fools and fantastic family pets!

Chris

"Be thankful we're not getting all the government we're paying for" Will Rogers
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
GSP here as well but have always liked the look and temperament of the vizsla.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
My oldest son got one and trained it on grouse in WI. The dog developed very quickly into a fine bird dog for a foot hunter, naturally close working. Somewhat high-strung, but still fine in the field or in the house. Unfortunately, son moved to GA, so their grouse days are few and far between now.

The biggest problem our country has is not systemic racism, it's systemic stupidity.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

575 members (007FJ, 1eyedmule, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 1234, 1beaver_shooter, 53 invisible), 2,685 guests, and 1,249 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,566
Posts18,453,797
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.