Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
I have decided to sell or trade my S&W SD9VE for a smaller .40 cal. pistol. I like my SCCY 9MM and I also like my Taurus G2 9MM. I now have a choice between the M&P shield and the Taurus 740. Both being in the compact size range. I would like to stay under 23 oz., If anyone knows of any other options or if anyone has a preference, please let me know. My S&W SD9VE has never been fired and has a laser sight on it. I could sell it on Gunbroker.com, but I could also sell it to one of you guys for less, without all the FFL schitt. Any iDEA'S?

Better to be over the hill than under it.
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by rondrews
I have decided to sell or trade my S&W SD9VE for a smaller .40 cal. pistol. I like my SCCY 9MM and I also like my Taurus G2 9MM. I now have a choice between the M&P shield and the Taurus 740. Both being in the compact size range. I would like to stay under 23 oz., If anyone knows of any other options or if anyone has a preference, please let me know. My S&W SD9VE has never been fired and has a laser sight on it. I could sell it on Gunbroker.com, but I could also sell it to one of you guys for less, without all the FFL schitt. Any iDEA'S?

Ron, I'd suggest a hard look at the M&P40C before you decide. I've shot most of the 40s made since the cartridge came out and I have yet to find anything suits me better for a concealed carry & woods beater that hits with authority, shoots great and runs with any factory mag from flush-fit 10's to 15 rounders for the full size guns.

Direct Impingement is the Fart Joke of military rifle operating systems. ⓒ
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
The last words out of my mouth were "never own a 40" now I am trying to find a cheap used 27 for back packing. I have a 9 shield and a 45 shield. They are not bad guns at all and not too pricey. G27 or 40 shield??

R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Thanks Sarge. I will give it a good hard look.

N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
Glock 27 is a hard one to beat and pretty close to what your wanting. the .40 shield i had was too snappy for me and im a .40 lover.

Rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6.
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I guess it's subjective. I find the M&PC to mitigate recoil much better than the G27.

http://summitgunbroker.com has Smith & Wesson 40 cal. M&P Compacts with night sights and two mags. $299

Direct Impingement is the Fart Joke of military rifle operating systems. ⓒ
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by jimmyp
The last words out of my mouth were "never own a 40" now I am trying to find a cheap used 27 for back packing. I have a 9 shield and a 45 shield. They are not bad guns at all and not too pricey. G27 or 40 shield??

Currently "cheap and used" would be a police trade in G22.

NRA Life Member
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by SargeMO
I guess it's subjective. I find the M&PC to mitigate recoil much better than the G27.

http://summitgunbroker.com has Smith & Wesson 40 cal. M&P Compacts with night sights and two mags. $299

I currently have a Compact 9 and a regular sized 40. I have never experienced a bobble in the four or so M&P's I've owned. IMO that is a helluva buy. To me, the M&P just looks better than the Glock also. They also feel better in my hand. I think I paid over $600 for the first M&P I bought...a 9c bought years ago.

[Linked Image]

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
even the 9shield feels snappier than the g43 to me as well, maybe the angle of the grip? I don't know.

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
I got a 27, but now it has a 9mm barrel in it with a 12 shot mag (10+2).

40 vs 9 debate: I love the 40, but I will admit I don't shoot it as well as I used to. I just don't get the practice like i did in the past, that's nobodies fault but my own.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by jimmyp
The Shield has turned out to be a fantastic single stack semi-auto; really hard to beat. ESPECIALLY when you consider what you pay for one. Second vote here for the Shield. (still can't go wrong with a G27 though).

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by rondrews

Don't get why you don't like 9mm, but he heart wants what the heart wants; so you need to get what YOU want and like. The Shield is a fantastic single stack pistol, you just can't go wrong there.

As for selling your SD9VE... You can catch brand new ones on sale quite often for $299, so don't expect to get much for yours as a "used" gun (even though it's unfired, in the box). Sounds like you like your Taurus G2 better than your SD9VE and I can understand that; the trigger system on the T-G2 is pretty good, and a VERY clever design.

Personally I would hold on to the SD9VE and find a place for it. Give it to the wife, use it as a dedicated vehicle pistol; whatever. The SD9VE is a supremely reliable pistol, it's just that out of the box, the triggers are a bit under-whelming... But Apex makes a $35 fix for that if you're not afraid of a little DIY gunsmithing (watch the video and be patient...it's a little frustrating, but it's doable and the Apex will give you an excellent trigger pull).

If you're content on getting rid of the S&W, I would find someone you really like and care for who doesn't have a gun and just give it to them...or give it to them really cheap.

Anyhow, best of luck with you new .40...I would go with the Shield.

R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Thanks for all the info, Guys. Haven't looked at everything, yet but I will by next week.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I rented and shot a gen 4 27 today. With 180 WW range ammo, I shot the gun at 15 yards as well as my 9mm shield, maybe a tad better.

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Recoil wasn't that bad was it.

Campfire Tracker
Online Happy
Campfire Tracker
S&W M&P Shield has a $75 rebate right now.

https://www.smith-wesson.com/rebates

Wag more, bark less.

The freedoms we surrender today will be the freedoms our grandchildren will never know existed.

The men who wrote the Second Amendment didn't just finish a hunting trip, they just finished liberating a nation.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by viking
Recoil wasn't that bad was it.

was not that bad. If it had the pierce pinky extension, and a wider rear sight so I could see even light around the front blade, I think I could have done even better with it. If I get one I think I am going to try those truglow sights with the tritium and fiber optics.

R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
I might go with the S&W Shield M&P 40 w/ Crimson trace Green Laser sights at $331 after Rebate. 19 Oz and selling like hotcakes. The only thing in the way is the Taurus with the extra 3 rounds in the magazine and a few ounces more.
I have two Taurus' and don't see anything wrong with them. They all fire perfectly and have a nice fit. The Taurus.40 is only $259, but I really don't care about the extra 70 bucks. You would think an S&W would be worth the extra dollars, but I had to send my last S&W back because of a defective safety. They finally took care of it, but you feel funny sending a Gun right out of the box because you couldn't flip the safety on.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I ended up with a Walther PPS M2 in 9mm that I'm very happy with. My buddy bought a PPS Classic in 40 S&W. While the 40 S&W had more recoil in the PPS Classic, I wouldn't call it snappy. It reminded me of a 45 ACP from a full size .

After shooting both though, I was happy with my selection of the 9mm in a smaller pistol like the PPS.

Dan

Last edited by Dantheman; 05/29/17.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I think the shield would be a great gun for you. I have two of them, the 45ACP which is very accurate for what it is, and a 9mm with Night Sights which is OK. I kind of think the G27 I shot at least with the WW 180 grain ammo had a better accuracy potential.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

660 members (10ring1, 1234, 19rabbit52, 1badf350, 007FJ, 12344mag, 59 invisible), 2,712 guests, and 1,306 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,694
Posts18,456,642
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.