Hop To
Page 7 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by kingston
Originally Posted by Sevens
Hows this for lightweight?! And it is a long action 300 wby no less!

[Linked Image]

Truthfully though, it is a very purpose built rifle. It's good for carrying up a mountain, making a long shot on a sheep or elk, then carrying back down. It's not unpleasant to shoot, but the thin barrel certainly makes it a bit of a challenge. Should the barrel ever wear out during my time with it, it will get something a little heavier out front. I am okay to carry a few extra ounces on the barrel to be able to settle the barrel in on a shot.

I have a similarly built 270 that is 7.25 pounds wearing a factory remington 700 sporter contour barrel, and it is by far easier to shoot on a consistent basis. Not terribly to carry either, but much better for "all-around" use.

Sevens, who made those rings?

Not Sevens but I believe those are DNZ 2 piece rings

GB1

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Is 7lbs 10 ounces considered a lightweight?

700 KS in 338 Winny.

[Linked Image]

"after the bullet leaves the barrel it doesn't care what headstamp was on the case"
"The 221 Fireball is what the Hornet could have been had it stayed in school"
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter
Originally Posted by kingston
Originally Posted by Sevens
Hows this for lightweight?! And it is a long action 300 wby no less!

[Linked Image]

Truthfully though, it is a very purpose built rifle. It's good for carrying up a mountain, making a long shot on a sheep or elk, then carrying back down. It's not unpleasant to shoot, but the thin barrel certainly makes it a bit of a challenge. Should the barrel ever wear out during my time with it, it will get something a little heavier out front. I am okay to carry a few extra ounces on the barrel to be able to settle the barrel in on a shot.

I have a similarly built 270 that is 7.25 pounds wearing a factory remington 700 sporter contour barrel, and it is by far easier to shoot on a consistent basis. Not terribly to carry either, but much better for "all-around" use.

Sevens, who made those rings?

Not Sevens but I believe those are DNZ 2 piece rings

Correct, DNZ. They are aluminum, but a little thicker than the favored Talley Light Weights.

It gains you about an ounce, but seemed like an okay place to sacrifice a little weight for strength. The reports of cracked Talley's concerned me.

If you died tomorrow, what would you have done today ...
L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
The present trend seems to be centered around short-action rifle and cartridges, and I've had my share of light rifles based on that theme. But the one I've had the longest, and killed the most big game with, is a NULA .30-06 that's now 20 years old--and would be one of the last I'd part with. Despite having a 24-inch #2 Douglas barrel it weighs six pounds on the nose with scope.

One of the great virtues of NULA's is they shoot a LOT of ammo well, and often to the same point of impact, one reason I've never permanently settled on one load. (The other is new bullets and powders over the last 20 years.) Another is that unless the scope goes bad, or somebody falls on it, they retain zero year after year, even when traveling from continent to continent. My wife's first NULA was a .270 Winchester with a #1 22" barrel, and for a decade she'd go to the range early each fall and shoot one round. It would land two inches high at 100 yards, never varying more than about a 1/4", and she'd go hunting. The scope finally died (the sometimes do on real lightweights) but that wasn't the fault of the rifle, and in that period it had not only hunted all over Montana but went on two caribou hunts involving several plane rides, plus bouncing around in boats, one on the Arctic Ocean.

Some people make a big deal about the lighter weight and shorter bolt throw of short action, but the .30-06 is a Model 24, which means the action weighs 24 ounces. The bolt throw is less than half an inch longer than that of a Model 20 NULA action.

I acquired this rifle back when I was traveling a lot more than today, one reason it's a .30-06: If anything happened to my ammo, some could be easily found, anywhere ammo is available on earth. If making the same choice today I might opt for a .308 Winchester, but maybe not One thing I've noticed is the .30-06 also works fine with what are essentially .308 loads, whether factory ammo or slightly reduced handloads.

All in all, however, the virtue of my NULA isn't the chambering but the overall consistency of NULA rifles. Eileen eventually replaced her .270 with another NULA, a Model 20 in .257 Roberts, not for lighter weight but due to less recoil. We went to the range the other day to check the zero before pronghorn season, and it put one shot in exactly the same place it has for several years.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by las
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
The present trend seems to be centered around short-action rifle and cartridges, and I've had my share of light rifles based on that theme. But the one I've had the longest, and killed the most big game with, is a NULA .30-06 that's now 20 years old--and would be one of the last I'd part with. Despite having a 24-inch #2 Douglas barrel it weighs six pounds on the nose with scope.

One of the great virtues of NULA's is they shoot a LOT of ammo well, and often to the same point of impact, one reason I've never permanently settled on one load. (The other is new bullets and powders over the last 20 years.) Another is that unless the scope goes bad, or somebody falls on it, they retain zero year after year, even when traveling from continent to continent. My wife's first NULA was a .270 Winchester with a #1 22" barrel, and for a decade she'd go to the range early each fall and shoot one round. It would land two inches high at 100 yards, never varying more than about a 1/4", and she'd go hunting. The scope finally died (the sometimes do on real lightweights) but that wasn't the fault of the rifle, and in that period it had not only hunted all over Montana but went on two caribou hunts involving several plane rides, plus bouncing around in boats, one on the Arctic Ocean.

Some people make a big deal about the lighter weight and shorter bolt throw of short action, but the .30-06 is a Model 24, which means the action weighs 24 ounces. The bolt throw is less than half an inch longer than that of a Model 20 NULA action.

I acquired this rifle back when I was traveling a lot more than today, one reason it's a .30-06: If anything happened to my ammo, some could be easily found, anywhere ammo is available on earth. If making the same choice today I might opt for a .308 Winchester, but maybe not One thing I've noticed is the .30-06 also works fine with what are essentially .308 loads, whether factory ammo or slightly reduced handloads.

All in all, however, the virtue of my NULA isn't the chambering but the overall consistency of NULA rifles. Eileen eventually replaced her .270 with another NULA, a Model 20 in .257 Roberts, not for lighter weight but due to less recoil. We went to the range the other day to check the zero before pronghorn season, and it put one shot in exactly the same place it has for several years.

My early Forbes in 270 is fast becoming my favorite. It's basically a poor man's NULA. I would love to try a NULA but this forbes is shooting 3/4-1/2 moa with quality factory ammo in a couple different loads.I just topped it with a Swaro Z5 3.5-18 with the 4w reticle and an elevation turret. I may have found one good enough that I won't be saving for the next one right away.

I guess I'm basically saying that I agree with MD and would buy a NULA in a heartbeat if I had the money to spend.

IC B2

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
Ultimate is my Merkel K3 single shot. Less than many rifles listed in this post but still a lot of $.
It is a single shot but it is nothing short of amazing, and it shoots steel groups to 500 under half MOA,
t is a 7-08 and loves everything it is fed.
Has put a lot of meat on the table and in the freezer.
Longest kill is 426 yards with 140 grain accubond. Bang-Flop.
could not think of a better mountain gun.
YES, the second shot takes longer, but I am fine with that. Rarely get to shoot twice with a bolt gun as is.

Pic attached
SntT

Attached Images
IMG_2955.JPG (82.44 KB, 122 downloads)
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Well, to keep this going for what it's worth, my lighty-tighty is a 284 on a Rem SA by Rifles Inc. it's cerakoated and has a 3-color, GAP type paint job. It has a box that allows a COAL of 2.95" and with R17 boots the 140-gr TTSX to 3100 fps out of a 23" tube and into .65 MOA at 400 yds, far enough for me. A PTG bolt and a Swarovski Z3 brings it to ~ 6.3 lbs.

Lord-willing, it'll be in the mountains and kill a bull in the next year or two.

T
T
Earlier this year I had a 700 LTR in 308 turned into a lightweight long range hunter. I first had it tried and timed, replaced the stock trigger with a Calvin elite, an chambered a barrel just like the one I shoot longrange BR with. Only difference is the contour of the barrel. I went with a 6.5x47L on a sendero 8 twist finished at 24" with a .290 neck. This thing shoots lights out and weighs in just under 9 lbs scoped and loaded. Oh it's on a HS precision ltr stock.

Page 7 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

611 members (160user, 12344mag, 007FJ, 10ring1, 1936M71, 10gaugemag, 68 invisible), 2,249 guests, and 1,131 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,123
Posts18,464,608
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.