Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
S
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
I've got a problem with the instrument cluster on my 05 Cavalier. The needles don't move or are inaccurate when it is either too warm or too cold. My normal mechanic used to have a guy he dealt with but apparently no longer does. These guys http://www.instrumentclusters.com/ have given me an online quote for $185 with free shipping and a lifetime warranty. Anybody used them?

Stupidity is expensive
If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!
BP-B2

J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
Sounds like a good price.

But, no. Have not used them.

I am MAGA.
Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
Can you check BBB? They may have info.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Lots of options on ebay, many for a lot less than what you were quoted. Maybe also try an auto salvage yard for a used, working unit.

Looking at Youtube, it appears that one of the 'fixes' that some rebuilders use is to simply search the circuit board for broken solder connections and resolder them. That was an issue on our '99 Caravan....really hard to spot with aging eyes - should have used a magnifier initially, but repairing that single broken solder has brought everything the cluster affects back to 100%.

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Snake River Marksman
I've got a problem with the instrument cluster on my 05 Cavalier. The needles don't move or are inaccurate when it is either too warm or too cold.

Most likely "cold" solder joints. It's an easy fix. Remove the cluster put under a magnifying light and look for the offending joints and re-solder with a good solder gun with a fine point.

Paul

"I'd rather see a sermon than hear a sermon".... D.A.D.

Trump Won!, Sandmann Won!, Rittenhouse Won!, Suck it Liberal Fuuktards.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Klikitarik
Lots of options on ebay, many for a lot less than what you were quoted. Maybe also try an auto salvage yard for a used, working unit.

Looking at Youtube, it appears that one of the 'fixes' that some rebuilders use is to simply search the circuit board for broken solder connections and resolder them. That was an issue on our '99 Caravan....really hard to spot with aging eyes - should have used a magnifier initially, but repairing that single broken solder has brought everything the cluster affects back to 100%.

Mine was a '98, had several cold solder joints were the connector plugged into the cluster.

Paul

"I'd rather see a sermon than hear a sermon".... D.A.D.

Trump Won!, Sandmann Won!, Rittenhouse Won!, Suck it Liberal Fuuktards.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Many similar issues with Silverados from same time. Stepper motors are the culprit. Supposed to be a "DIY" project.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I've done that repair on several different GM / Chevy products from the same vintage, here at my skunkworks....apparently they used a bad run of solder, but kept the planet green crazy
Coupla' theories I've heard tossed about....
***The base circuit board resins expand and contract at rates that the solder can't handle, so problem's more common in the North ?
*** Don't rely on Maquiladora grade assemblies
Dunno.

A GOOD "de-soldering" tool is nice to have, and a whisker of that nice copper repair tape is handy , too. As well as a visual check a LOW IMPEDENCE VOM is good backup, .....check on the finer scale before and after the repair.

Be glad to look it over and patch / re solder it ( if that's what it needs ) . If it's a burnt transistor or resistor, and lacking the no doubt highly classified schematic, further repair might well be above my pay grade.

Cheers,

GTC

Member, Clan of the Border Rats
-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The most common problem with the GM cluster is the stepper motors wear out. Solder joints possible, but not as common as the steppers. The company I used on my wife's 04 Envoy replaced all the steppers, led bulbs if needed and confirmed all functions with a lifetime guarantee on all work. The cluster is very easily removed and replaced, took me about an 1.5 hrs for R & R and about a week turnaround on the cluster. Cost back 5 or 6 years ago was 125.00 which was better than 700 for a new cluster.

Swifty
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by bluffview
Many similar issues with Silverados from same time. Stepper motors are the culprit. Supposed to be a "DIY" project.

This

IC B3

S
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
My luck with soldering circuit boards is pretty poor. I will take a look at this one myself before I mail it, but I'll probably still mail it.

Stupidity is expensive
If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by K1500

This

Correct. It depends on the model year though.

FWIW,

My 98 chevy P/U had the notorious hummingbird fuel gauge issue and new stepper motors are totally unavailable. The fix is to refill the gauge with silicone dampening fluid and it's a fairly easy DIY project. I've looked up companies on the internet that charge a couple hundred bucks to do the same thing. It cost less than $20.00 and an hour and a half or so of my time.

Solder joints are also known to cause problems with the wiper board but cheap replacements are readily available.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J

Pretty good video here on replacing the stepper motors.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nkJBXP-2w8o

This was a car similar to your Cavalier. I did it to a friends pickup a couple years ago. No problems.

Jerry

Minnesota; Land of 10,000 Taxes
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
That was a kool how to video

"All that the South has ever desired was that the Union, as established by our forefathers, should be preserved, and that the government, as originally organized, should be administered in purity and truth." – Robert E. Lee
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Paying $185 for an IC is only a good thing if that is what the root cause is and not something else under the dash that could actually be the problem . . .

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
I just got a Bully Dog for the 04 Silverado.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I sent my defective Silverado speedometer/dash panel to an ebay repair guy and it was painless. Shipped and installed with in one week. Same with the HVAC read out in my Corvette, and my ABS controller in my Corvette. 3/3 with ebay refurbs.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
252 members (12344mag, 1Longbow, 160user, 257 roberts, 257 mag, 10Glocks, 27 invisible), 1,949 guests, and 889 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,728
Posts18,400,800
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.