Print Thread
Hop To
S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Leaving for Africa in a few weeks.
My wife is carrying a crossbow she got for Christmas.
She shoots it very well.
At 20 yds all arrows touching, at 30 yds maybe a 2 inch group for her with field points.
I've shot it a lot also and do a little better on the 30 yd grouping.

Been trying to make our Muzzy MX-3s work. They won't
They will always either shoot 3-4 inches low or to the left.
At 30 yds, a little worse, but not much.

I tried putting some O-rings on, but it did not help.

Today I decided to try the same heads on my compound bow.
At 20 yds they barely hit the target on the left side and somewhat lower at times too. About 10 inches from center.
I could actually see the arrow in flight do a dogleg left turn.,
Obviously, I didn't even try them at 30 yds.

I've never experienced anything like this except with fixed blades that were solid blades that caught the air.

I shot some Rage practice blanks thru her xbow and shot just fine.
I don't have any Xbow Rage heads though, so don't know how they'd perform.

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Sounds like your arrow spine is off or they are not aligned with the shaft very well. I have used the older Muzzy 90 gr 4 blade heads for the last 15 years and have always got them to shoot without much fuss.

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Never had an issue with Muzzy, but IMHO you are WAY late in playing this game... and you do have to have bows/xbows tuned right for them to perform...

I would not go anywhere with something that wasn't working 2 weeks before I left....

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Pretty wide cut on those MX series of heads, never had much luck getting anything wider than 1 3/16" to fly to my satisfaction. Issues will be magnified more with the speeds I assume you are shooting.

Try something in the 1 1/8" or less range. Wasp Boss come to my mind. Wasp Boss a good head as well.

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
Originally Posted by centershot
Sounds like your arrow spine is off or they are not aligned with the shaft very well. I have used the older Muzzy 90 gr 4 blade heads for the last 15 years and have always got them to shoot without much fuss.

I really like those and watch for them on ebay. They go right through deer, elk and sometimes bear. Mostly, stuff dies within 20-50 yds. Best broadhead made imho.

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
IC B2

V
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
V
Had the same trouble with muzzys and magnum slick tricks. I would pick up standard slick tricks or rage Hypodermic.

S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by rost495
Never had an issue with Muzzy, but IMHO you are WAY late in playing this game... and you do have to have bows/xbows tuned right for them to perform...

I would not go anywhere with something that wasn't working 2 weeks before I left....

It's not like she or I are new to archery or crossbows or just bought this bow yesterday.
she's practiced plenty. Never hunted with it, but shot it plenty.
She can shoot nickels at 20 yds with with field points and a very tight group at 30 yds.

I already know that Rage broadheads fly straight in it, but our PH prefers fixed blade.
It is nothing that a trip to my archery shop can't fix.
It's not like we would be practicing every day with the broadheads anyway.

I'm not carrying my compound, I merely tried them on my arrows to see how they'd fly on my arrows. They were worse.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Wasp Boss or Drone, probably lean towards the all steel Drone.

Small heads but what they lack in diameter they make up for in sharpness. Make your eyes bleed looking at them kind of sharpness.

I would rather have the small cut with sticky sharp blades than a larger cut with semi sharp blades. Haven't had a whitetail go over 75 yards with these small heads and they were pouring blood the whole time, probably closer to 50-60 yards traveled after the shot.

Slick Trick Standards were good to me as well.

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
thanks for the responses to all you guys.

update.
I was assuming it was the broadhead.
No archery shop open today, but stopped at Basspro and picked up some Slick Tricks 1 1/8 in Crossbow heads.

Tried one head on one arrow. Same hole every shot. About 1.5 inches low at 20 yds.
I took that head off and put it on another arrow. 2 inches left every shot.
3rd arrow....... 1 inch high and 1-2 inch left every shot.

I marked the fletching on each of these arrows.
I put on the Muzzy. I was shocked, but they shot into the same holes as the Slick Tricks did with each arrow.

I put field points back on and shot these same 3 arrows into a dot dead center.
3 other arrows with the vanes crinkled or torn also shoot into this dot.

With my field points and mechanicals, they all shoot straight. With either brand of broadhead, each arrow shoot to the same place each time.
Disturbing.

I will be at the archery shop Tuesday to check it out, but it seems obvious it's not the head, but the arrows.
I could just carry mechanicals, but the PH prefers fixed blade.

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Are you/is she shooting the Raven?

IC B3

S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Yes. Ravin. Just got off the phone with them and they told me they had bad complaints on the arrows they sent me and are sending me new ones of the brand they will have from now on

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
I saw a couple web posts about arrow issues, that's why I was asking. Sounds like they took care of you.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Glad the solution is at hand. It still scares the hell out of me that anyone would run into this a few weeks from an international trip... that stuff is best sorted out 6 months to a year ahead of time, call it all good, have loads of spares and just shoot....

But thats me, and being anal and all..... YMMV.

Good luck, let us know how it goes and some pics never hurt.

BTW I'll side with the pro... mechanicals are prone to bad mistakes..... shot 3 deer with 3 different brands some years ago, and I'll never use the damn things again... though the wife shot 2 with and had some good results but way to erratic on how the results went, after I double lunged a buck and the blades never opened... that was it... that was an all day tracking job all by myself. Luckily found him just at sundown.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Thanks Rost.
Years ago, I used Punchcutters when they first came out. Worked great on whitetails as long as you didn't hit a bone. Saw huge potential problems and stories, used only 1 or 2 seasons.
I used Muzzys, Thunderheads, and Wasps for many years. I liked Wasps the best.
I never had any planing issues or bad grouping on my broadheads except one brand (I forget which) where the blades were solid instead of "skeletons".

Quit bowhunting for 7 or8 years due to shoulder issues, had surgery on both shoulders, and started back when my daughter turned 18.
Her boyfriend convinced me to use Rages. I've had no problems with them, all worked well............ but planning to go back to fixed this year.
No problems, but they are a hassle.

You are correct about anxiousness about this issue.
but I've only known about the PH recommendation for a few weeks.
Purchased some Muzzys immediately and down the path I went until I found out what was really wrong.
If I had known about the "no mechanicals", I would have shot them sooner.

Ravin said they had 2 manufacturers making their arrows. Gold Tip was the company's arrows I got and it's the ones they had problems with.

A couple weird things.
1. using field points- every arrow would touch at 20 yards even ones with torn or crinkled fletch.
2. Marked the arrows and shot with fixed blades repeatedly. Each arrow shot in the same hole it shot into before, with each one having it's own unique impact point.
3. Switched brand of fixed blade and they shot into the same hole that individual arrow shot into with the other brand blade. (this surprised me most)

I think this tells me when I get the good arrows this week, both blades will shoot very well and exactly the same.

If I believed in luck, I'd cross my fingers, toes, and eyes while waiting for my new arrows.

In the end, if it's not resolved, we both will be carrying our own rifles also.

Last edited by rphguy; 05/23/17.
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Its good info to know about the arrow issue.

I"m still more or less a fixed blade sharpen your own guy when I am able to shoot a normal bow. Same shoulder issues like you, though mine were from tearing through a burning house trying to locate 2 missing kids.. thankfully they were not even in the house at the time, but it didn't keep me from ruining a shoulder in the process....

Crossbow I started with COC slick trick and never looked back.

Tuning is critical, and figuring out problems, can be problematic. As you noted you change one variable at a time and it works out.

Many years ago I often shot Zwickey heads and had to shoot them on numbered arrows to end up with a balanced set RE impact. But then they were good to way out there accuracy wise. Until I learned how stupid long shots with bows are.

Waiting to hear good things on new arrows and a hunting report!

S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Well, my arrows came 2 days earlier than they told me they would. That's good service.

I shot my new 18 arrows a few times each from a very good rest at 20 yards.

Field tips right on target.

15 arrows shot 1 inch to the right consistently.

3 arrows shot about 1.5 inches low but centered consistently.

Very happy!@! adjusted my scope for the 15 broadheads and now 15 of them will hit a quarter.

the other 3 hit within 1.5 inches low and 1 inch left of center. Not too bad, but wouldn't want to shoot those at further range for sure. Since I marked them, I don't have to worry about it.

the wife is happy and ready to hunt!

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

599 members (01Foreman400, 10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 22250rem, 1_deuce, 06hunter59, 62 invisible), 2,178 guests, and 1,291 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,284
Posts18,448,656
Members73,899
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.