Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
G
gnoahhh Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
G
Ok, here we go. Dead Possum II, Go Navy (Army)-Beat Cancer Make a Lot of Noise With Savages Match (Phase One, in which Doris gets her oats).

After much soul searching and consultation with the CPA I have on my staff of crackshot kibitzers and drinking buddies, I came to the conclusion that this should not cost anybody who wants to participate anything. Not so much as a farthing (or a dead possum fart). So...... just forward your mailing address via PM and I shall forward to you forthwith whatever targets you need to participate in the event. If you feel the need to pay something, either buy me a beer next time you see me or give a kid some bullets to shoot. I figure the cost of mailing targets to 10-20 entrants won't break the bank. If a hundred entrants jump out of the bushes, well, ok. The targets and envelopes are left over from last year's event.

To save me trying to remember all the rules I set out in the previous post, or jumping back and forth in an effort to transcribe them, please refer to the previous thread I started. (I just can't figure out how to cut and paste that response in that thread. If you are savvy enough to make the link happen, I beg you do so, and will buy you a beer next time I see you.)

Remember, those who wish to fire the "Ten Shots Quick" leg must provide their own paper plate. I'm not surrendering any of my "fine china".

Match dates: June 1-July 1. Post your results here, in this thread. Or, mail your targets to me and I'll score them. (A fifth of scotch will help sharpen my eyesight when doing said scoring. Just saying...)

Shooter submitting the best 50 yard .22 group gets the Traveling Possum Award. (Thanks again, Keith.)

I have made formal application to the International Olympic Committee to make the Dead Possum Matches an Olympic event, perhaps in place of the Biathlon. We shall see.

Let the Games begin!!!!

Gary (Ol' Deadeye) Dunkelberger

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
BP-B2

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
Thank you Gary. Pm otw for my contribution. Can't wait for ten shots fast!!
Jefg

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
Thank you Gary. Pm otw for my contribution. Can't wait for ten shots fast!!
Jeff

G
gnoahhh Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
G
Only a handful of responses so far. What's wrong? Are y'all skeert? grin

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by gnoahhh
Only a handful of responses so far. What's wrong? Are y'all skeert? grin

I don't know why they would be, you won't let me shoot with a Marlin. laugh

LOL
IC B2

G
gnoahhh Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
G
I didn't have targets big enough to hold the shot grouping of a Marlin. It would cost too much to mail a refrigerator carton to Oregon, Roy. grin

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by gnoahhh
I didn't have targets big enough to hold the shot grouping of a Marlin. It would cost too much to mail a refrigerator carton to Oregon, Roy. grin

Big talk for a Savage shooter. smirk

Well sure if you want 1000 yard targets I guess it would be a little impractical. How about dishwasher boxes at 500?

Last edited by Fireball2; 05/27/17.

LOL
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I'm in with the Marlin. Just to keep you guys honest.

LOL
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Fired the dead possum match this morning. Results and pictures attached. Used a Model 5 BA pre war with a Weave 29S scope, same as last year. Same ammo too, Fed GM Match.

Attached Images
Range 2.JPG (76.69 KB, 53 downloads)
Range 3.JPG (77.38 KB, 48 downloads)
Target.JPG (89.49 KB, 50 downloads)

"Americans have the right and advantage of being armed-unlike the citizens of other countries whose governments are afraid to trust the people with arms." James Madison
G
gnoahhh Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
G
That's gonna be hard to beat! I won't get my targets shot until weekend after next.

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I would be very surprised Gary that this group might win. I told my better half about the match and the fact that I won this last year. She wanted to know what I won so I told her. Anyway..

This rifle is amazingly accurate and is very much hampered by the scope. No, that's not right. The rifle is amazingly accurate. The shooter is hampered by the scope. I would recommend this model or the Model 4 to anyone wanting an accurate, inexpensive BA 22 RF.

"Americans have the right and advantage of being armed-unlike the citizens of other countries whose governments are afraid to trust the people with arms." James Madison
G
gnoahhh Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
G
I had the pleasure of shooting a heavy barreled Anschutz bench gun, with Leupold 36x on it this past Saturday. OMG, what an eye opener. We would fire a shot into a blank piece of paper and then use that bullet hole as a target and the resulting group wasn't much bigger than the original hole. Likewise my buddy then showed me how to dot all 25 of the x-rings on a 50 yard IBS target (one shot per bullseye). Things have sure come a long way since the early 30's when my target guns were made! But that's ok, I still prefer making bug hole groups with the 19-33NRA and the M52A.

I'm waiting to shoot my targets until Joe Martin can go along. Perhaps I'll shoot the centerfire leg this weekend without him.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Gary, here is the info from the other posting...

"Ok, looks like we have enough interest to kick this off. Let's say entries to start June 1, deadline for target submission July 4th. I'll forward targets for cost of postage+envelopes (which will vary depending on how many categories/targets you wish to shoot in). I'll have a firm cost in a couple days.

A) (For the traveling Dead Possum Trophy- thanks, Keith!)-- .22 rimfire. 50 yards, benchrest or off your hind legs if you prefer. Any rifle as long as it was made by Savage (or Stevens after the Savage takeover), any sights or scope. Five shots on each of the five bullseyes contained on the NRA 75 foot target (same one we used last year), best group to count for score. No sending the targets back to me, just post the results here. If digital photography is not your thing, just send me the target and I'll post it for you.

B) Go Navy (or Army if we must stoop so low!), Beat Cancer Match-- Any cartridge (centerfire), 100 yards, benchrest or over your truck hood, any Savage lever gun, any sights/scope. Five shots on each of the five bullseyes on the NRA 50 yard smallbore target- hey, it's a 4" black bullseye, you can see it at 100 yards. You don't have to shoot all of the five shot groups. One group will suffice- if you feel lucky, punk.

C) Same as above, 100 yards, any Savage centerfire bolt gun.

D) Ten Shots Fast Match-- any Savage autoloading pistola, .32 or .380 (extra points if you do it with a .45). Ten shots 15 feet at yon paper plate, seven seconds. (Ten seconds for you, Joe, because, well, you're old.) Most number of hits on the regulation K-Mart paper plate wins. I ain't gonna mail paper plates, sorry. Steal them from your wife or mother. In the event of a tie, best group wins. Honor system prevails for timing. If you have no way to time it or video it, just empty the darn gun quick-as-a-lick.

Any questions? Bueller? Bueller?"

Savage...never say "never".
Rick...

Join the NRA...together we stand, divided we fall!

G
gnoahhh Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
G
Thanks, Rick.

For all of you dithering over whether to participate, there's still time. I mailed out two packets of targets this morning.

Savages are fun to collect, look at, and talk about, but they were built for a purpose you know.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by steve99
Fired the dead possum match this morning. Results and pictures attached. Used a Model 5 BA pre war with a Weave 29S scope, same as last year. Same ammo too, Fed GM Match.

Steve, you are making me sweat; the Dead Possum does not want to leave home. smile It is going to take some practice to keep him in Minnesota.

Rather than shoot the Savage Anschutz 54 that I used last year, I’m going to shoot a pre-war Model 7 that I picked up in March. I took it out back this morning in some wind to try some CCI SV and SK Rifle match. The SK was better, but not likely good enough. I have some Federal Ultra Match to try next. It's going take some luck and a perfect, no wind, morning.

[Linked Image]

10 Shot Practice Group this Morning
[Linked Image]

Last edited by KeithNyst; 06/12/17.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Practice? Practice? Can you do that?

Seriously, I was surprised how far off my rifle/scope/ammo was given nothing had changed since last year. Doesn't look like you need much Keith. And Keith, don't send that thing to me no matter the result. Be interesting to see what you can do with that Model 7/scope combo, very similar to what I used aside from action type. Good shooting Keith!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The Savage Model 7 with a Weaver 344 and I could not get it done. Best group only 0.789" this morning. Federal Gold Metal Ultra Match. When I got back, I looked at the movement and size of the groups and thought something was out of wack. Sure enough, both T1 mounting screws were loose, so lesson learned.
[Linked Image]

I plan to shoot the Savage Anschutz 54 at 100 yards for fun. I have to find some 8" paper plates for the 1907; measured what we have and they are 9.5".

Last edited by KeithNyst; 06/15/17.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Just draw an 8" circle in the middle.

Savage...never say "never".
Rick...

Join the NRA...together we stand, divided we fall!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
My Ten Shots Quick. Did not have an 8" paper plate, so made an 8" cardboard circle.

Before picture,
[Linked Image]

Link to video shooting:
[img]http://i798.photobucket.com/albums/yy263/KeithNyst/Savage%201907s/th_Ten%20Shots%20Quick.mp4[/img]

After picture .. all ten shots on plate.
[Linked Image]

Last edited by KeithNyst; 06/15/17.
G
gnoahhh Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
G
I pick Keith to be on my side!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
636 members (007FJ, 01Foreman400, 222ND, 160user, 1234, 1lessdog, 66 invisible), 2,811 guests, and 1,384 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,655
Posts18,399,237
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.