Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
twofish Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Don't know if anyone has done this or posted about previously but I thought I would share.

I have more knives than I need as most people who appreciate custom knives do. I have knives that get used a lot and they typically stay in my pack or in place somewhere else where they are with me whenever I go afield. Then I have other knives that I have bought over time just because I appreciate the talent of the maker and wanted to own some examples of their craft. These are knives, many of which have never been used or sharpened that I have typically kept them wrapped in scrap rags and stored piled up in a plastic container.

A couple of weeks ago I started thinking about what might be an inexpensive storage solution that would make the knives easier to access as I do enjoy sharing some of them occasionally with friends of like mind regarding custom knives. After thinking about this for a bit I thought about the silverware storage boxes that have been used for years to store peoples fine silver and etc. After poking around on ebay I discovered that there are a ton of these storage boxes for sale there. I bought a couple of them to give them a try. So for less than $40.00 including shipping I ended up with two nice wooden boxes and they turned out to work well for my intended use. Anyway, just thought I would share a pic of my storage solution.

Second box is a little lonely holding only my old Boy Scout knife. But it won't be that way for too long I'm afraid. cool

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

*Master of random precision*
BP-B2

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
looks good

Check out my new website

http://www.howemtnknives.com/
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Great idea.

i was thinking of this lately.

id like something small enough for the gunsafe.

Twofish, whats your method of keeping up with the sheaths? as which goes to which.

Dave

�The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely to be the one who dropped it.� Lou Holtz

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Nice Idea! I keep some of mine in an old wooden tool box thats been felt lined, and has 9 draws, bought it off the fire here! a few years Ago!

Deer Camp! about as good as it gets!
G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
Originally Posted by saddlering
Nice Idea! I keep some of mine in an old wooden tool box thats been felt lined, and has 9 draws, bought it off the fire here! a few years Ago!

Pix?

If things were as obvious as they initially appear . . . then men would be riding horseback sidesaddle . . . and not women. - Will Rogers
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

twofish Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by BigDave39355
Great idea.

i was thinking of this lately.

id like something small enough for the gunsafe.

Twofish, whats your method of keeping up with the sheaths? as which goes to which.

On knives that I don't used regularly I just put a small stick-it note the opening in the top of the sheath as to which knife it belongs. These sheaths reside in a plastic (rubbermaid) type box similar to what I kept knives in prior to getting the silverware boxes. Neither of the boxes are wider than about 15" so they would fit easily on a shelf in a safe of pretty good size.

Hunts that's pretty cool idea as well. I like the looks of that but our critters don't make antlers quite that big around here.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Many of mine are laid out on a book case and their sheathes are in a mess bag. Some mighty fine knives sit without much love.

The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits. Albert Einstein
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M

" Some mighty fine knives sit without much love."

They probably share some group love after you turn out the lights and leave the room.

"The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."
Albert Einstein

At Khe Sanh a sign read "For those who fight for it, life has a flavor the protected never knew".
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Thats a great idea. Where do you keep the sheaths and how do you keep straight what sheath goes to what knife?

It�s a magazine not a clip......

Advice is seldom welcome, and those who need it the most, like it the least.�
- Lord Chesterfield. 1750
IC B3

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
I have ammo cans filled with them.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have a big plastic tub, its still a cluster

It�s a magazine not a clip......

Advice is seldom welcome, and those who need it the most, like it the least.�
- Lord Chesterfield. 1750
twofish Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by passport
Thats a great idea. Where do you keep the sheaths and how do you keep straight what sheath goes to what knife?

On knives that I don't use regularly I just put a small stick-it note the opening in the top of the sheath as to which knife it belongs. These sheaths reside in a plastic (rubbermaid) type box similar to what I kept knives in prior to getting the silverware boxes.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
840 members (12344mag, 1234, 12308300, 10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 007FJ, 78 invisible), 3,259 guests, and 1,318 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,712
Posts18,400,269
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.