Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
65BR Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Anyone using them, and method? Jigging or ?

I have used all kinds of lures, plastics, and spinners quite often. All effective. In the past, my limited use of spoons had been fairly geffective but the waters around here are very prone to snags and keeping me from using them more often.

I would think in open water with good visibility they would be quite effective. Anyone? Thanks.

GB1

T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
I caught some bass on a Dardevle years ago. Just recently moved back to bass and crappie country and I brought all my ice jigging spoons with me with the intention of using them on the local crappie population. Haven't yet but it is that time of the year.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
65BR, they work wonderfully well in the coldest and hottest months of the year. Jigging near ledges, sharp drop offs and over standing timber in 20-40ft of water will yield surprising results. You will use loose very few spoons when jigging timber as the weight of the spoon will usually knock the bait free after some popping of a tight line. 1/2 -3/4oz work best when jigging over deep water and remember they key is to pop the jig up as high as possible and then let it fall on a slack line. The bite will almost always come on the fall. powdr

65BR Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Good stuff. Any color combos better and in what water clarity. I'm in dingy waters here but may be back up in northern AR. I have a few chrome and a chrome/blue. I believe 1/4 and 1/2 oz. Not sure if I have other combos.

A buddy was telling me about using braid and popping the line to unsnag.

I've not done it but he said you hold the line tight and pull it back from the side and let go. Is that your method?

Thanks guys.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
The colors are purely personal. It's not as good of a method in dingy water. One of the upsides to this type of fishing is the fish is able to see the bait. The chartreuse spoons work well sometimes on cloudy days but generally the chrome spoons work best. It took me a long time to figure out the 1/2-3/4oz spoons work the best. They seem to fall differently than the lighter spoons. As a general rule, bass can see 10ft to our one foot in the water. 65 just look for the clearest water you can find and do a test. Put your spoon over the side of the boat and see how deep it sinks before it becomes no longer visible. So, if you can see the bait down two feet then jigging at a 20ft depth is OK according to our 10-1 rule. You may fish 5-10 areas before you get a bite but when you find a good area it's well worth it. powdr

IC B2

W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
There must be better fish catchers than myself here, but, what works at the time, and body of water, is what to use.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
i use slab spoons quite often for sand bass and
stripers in open water if that counts

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I use 1/4 - 3/8 oz cast masters and Swedish pimples on post spawn bass. They suspend in our deep lakes after the spawn and they are a pita to catch. I sometimes find them around bridge pillars. I don't vertical jig them and I don't work them horizontal either. I make a long cast past the pillars and let it fall on a taught line, snapping it up and letting it fall not retrieving any line so it pendulums toward the boat and the path of the lure is diagonal from the surface to below the boat. Strikes come at 15 to 30 feet deep. Spotted bass and smallmouth are deeper largemouth are usually 20' and shallower. It's a feast or famon type deal. My best day ever was about 4 years ago in may, I caught spotted bass about every 3 casts for an hour and a half, it was awesome. You usually catch a bonus fish or two every trip too, like a big crappie, white bass or striper.

Eating fried chicken and watermelon since 1972.

You tell me how I ought to be, yet you don't even know your own sexuality,, the philosopher,,, you know so much about nothing at all. Chuck Schuldiner
65BR Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Great info guys. Thanks much to all

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I've had good luck on largemouth bass with the Johnson weedless silver minnow. I added a white skirt (the kind used on spinnerbaits). It works well in heavy cover and in grass flats.

He who joyfully marches in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would suffice.

- Albert Einstein
IC B3

Y
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Y
Try one with a small say 1/8 oz jig like a tube jig on a loop with a small spoon on the bottom about a ft below the jig around bridges and other structure. Change out the jig skirt color to suit.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I've had good luck casting them like spinners or trolling them slow for trout, pike, pickerel and walleye in lakes. Color doesn't seem to be too critical, though most of mine are silver/blue combos.

Stuck in airports, Terrorized
Sent to meetings, Hypnotized
Over-exposed, Commercialized
Handle me with Care...
-Traveling Wilbury's
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by doubletap
I've had good luck on largemouth bass with the Johnson weedless silver minnow. I added a white skirt (the kind used on spinnerbaits). It works well in heavy cover and in grass flats.

I used to use a Johnson silver or gold spoon with a trailer of some sort quite a bit in the places you describe. Nowadays it's usually a soft plastic senko or fluke rigged weedless and weightless.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
65BR Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Good stuff, thanks guys

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
We use spoons for 'eyes trolling on Lake Erie. Takes everything, 'eyes, perch, drum, bass, steelies...

I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery - Thomas Jefferson
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
1/4 oz little cleos are my lure of choice for lake fishing, kastmasters are my second choice, spinners are well in the rear.

Depending on light conditions silver, silver/green, silver/blue, silver/red, brass, brass/green, brass/blue and brass red.

In salt water a 1 1/4 oz little cleo in silver or silver/blue will just about anything, though obviously not heavy enough for fishing deep.

65BR Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Good stuff. So are the Little Cleo's better because of their "wobble" action?

Thanks.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Not sure why, but the little cleo's just seem to have an action that attracts fish.

I think the lakes should be all melted out so I'm looking forward to getting home and hitting the lakes for rainbows, dolly varden and arctic char

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

582 members (10gaugeman, 007FJ, 160user, 2500HD, 1beaver_shooter, 240NMC, 67 invisible), 2,343 guests, and 1,233 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,654
Posts18,455,538
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.