Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
I
ihookem Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I
The camera place has a used Cannon 1DS MARK 11 for $400 and a Tameron 28-105 sold separately for $185. I am going to look at it tomorrow and it will be about $625 out the door. Has anyone used this camera and how did you like it. There is not much info on this camera and they are hard to find used for a price comparison. Any comments on this set up, especially the camera ?

But the fruits of the spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness,faithfulness, Gentleness and self control. Against such things there is no law. Galations 5: 22&23
GB1

I
ihookem Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I
Well, the camera got sold a few hrs before I got there. Oh well. Anyway, I have been reading so much it aint funny. The 1D , the 1D mark11, the 5d, 5d11, and then the 6D. I am confused what jus the higher quality camera. Is the 1D the top of the line and then the 5, then the 6? I am looking at some cameras that are 10 yrs old and cannot find a pattern. Is the 1D series the top shelf ?

But the fruits of the spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness,faithfulness, Gentleness and self control. Against such things there is no law. Galations 5: 22&23
R
Ron Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
The 1Ds MKII was top of the line for Canon 12-14 years ago. The 1D series is top of the line for Canon, but they are upgraded every 12-18 months.

Capt Ron

Magnolia Bluff, FL..............Where Heaven is a local call!

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by ihookem
Is the 1D series the top shelf ?

It's a commercial piece of equipment designed to be used day in and day out.

I
ihookem Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I
In that case I can buy a very good camera that is used for 1K. I always seem to go for the professional equipment even if I am an amateur . The reason why is a pro grade camera will last a modest user a very long time. I buy pro chain saw for modest use. Have had one for 25 yrs now and only one problem. I would rather pay for it once and cry once. So a D1 is the top. I will look into less used 1D then. Should last 20 yrs.

IC B2

I
ihookem Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I
Cannon 1ds mark 11 for $600 or mark 111 for $1,000?

Last edited by ihookem; 07/04/17.

R
Ron Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
How many clicks on them?

Capt Ron

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
I
ihookem Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I
I dont think the Mark11 has a click counter in it so I dont know, the Mark 111 sais almost brand new. Maybe the Mark 111 if it really is almost brand new cause it most likely was not a professional .

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Non do. You can purchase a download program for a few bucks to give you the number of accusations.

jpb Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Well, the camera got sold a few hrs before I got there. Oh well. Anyway, I have been reading so much it aint funny. The 1D , the 1D mark11, the 5d, 5d11, and then the 6D. I am confused what jus the higher quality camera. Is the 1D the top of the line and then the 5, then the 6? I am looking at some cameras that are 10 yrs old and cannot find a pattern. Is the 1D series the top shelf ?

If you are considering a used (or new) Canon digital camera, here is what you need, big time!

LINK comparing detailed specifications of Canon cameras

I'm watching the used market for one of the models with the articulated viewing screen. A borrowed camera had this feature, and I really liked it.

For example, for a more novel perspective, you can put the camera on the ground or hold it above your head and see the viewfinder perfectly to compose your photo in comfort rather than laying on the ground or whatever. Being able to put the camera on a stable surface to take a long exposure and simply swivel the LCD viewfinder so you can see everything is great.

This picture will give you an idea:

[Linked Image]

John

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
In that case I can buy a very good camera that is used for 1K. I always seem to go for the professional equipment even if I am an amateur . The reason why is a pro grade camera will last a modest user a very long time. I buy pro chain saw for modest use. Have had one for 25 yrs now and only one problem. I would rather pay for it once and cry once. So a D1 is the top. I will look into less used 1D then. Should last 20 yrs.

Any Canon will last a modest user for years. I have a 60D that I've had for several years that is nearly indestructible. My little G9 has been all over the world and beat to hell and is still my go to camera. Canon makes good stuff.

R
Ron Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I certainly wouldn't by a 12-14 year old car without knowing the mileage, but it's your money & decision. And yes, there are programs that will tell you "how many shutter actuations any Canon SLR camera has recorded.

Capt Ron

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
What is the number shutter actuation's before one is on it's way downhill?

High end or EOS level Canons?

Some spelling errors can be corrected by a vowel movement.
~ MOLON LABE ~
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
100,000 to 150,000.

I
ihookem Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I
The 1ds is rated for 300,000 clicks.

I
ihookem Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I
Well guys , I bit the bullet and bought a used Cannon 1DS Mark 111. It looks brand new. I also went with a Tamron 24-105 MM lens I was told the lens was about $ 900 - 1,000 when they were new. I payed $ 1,301 out the door with a 64 GIG SD card that won't format cause there were no 64 GIGs then . I found this out when I got home. There is a number that goes up 1 every time I take a picture on the back of the screen. It says 9574 . I imagine this is the actuations? If it is , this camera is new by this cameras standards. I took some pics with it and I need to get used to it . I couldn't figure out how to get it off of F stop 14. I actually took a few decent pics.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
You will need to use an inexpensive online program to determine actuations.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I believe the number you are describing is the image number in the folder it is saved to. As stated you need a program to tell you the shutter count. For amateur use I would not even worry about the shutter count. Two handed operation takes getting use to, and can't check focus on the LCD screen but the images are so sweet. ISO 100-200 and you will still hang with today's camera's image quality. Really up to 1600 with a little noise reduction will yield some awesome prints. Built like a tank, great focusing, what is not to like! When I upgrade I'll find a greatly used DS III, till then the DS II is still doing fine.

Rick Grimes for Governor
"This isn't a democracy anymore"
I
ihookem Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I
Thanks SWGAShooter, I found out pretty quick this is a different breed of camera from my Nikon D3100. Last week I was at the edge of a woods and field to my west as the sun was setting. I had my 3100 and took some pics cause the squirrels were scarce. I took a half dozen pics and couldn't quite get the pic I saw with my eye so I had to fidget with the F stop. I got a good picture I was happy with. Yesterday I took the 1DS 111 and took the same picture , not knowing what I was doing and couldn't figure out how to get the camera off of F14. The camera took one nice pic and one not so nice without fidgeting . The sensor was not easily fooled in the Mark 111 like it was with my 3100. This is my conclusion with only about 5 pictures taken. The sensor is more accurate, or something.

Last edited by ihookem; 10/01/17.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Good to hear you are enjoying the camera. Focusing is so much better with the one series versus the mid-grade models. I was looking back at the models you were considering, in my opinion you did not go wrong with your choice. The newer models may have slight advantages (better LCD, ISO, video,etc.), but if you want a camera that is built like a tank and has great image quality the DS II and III are hard to beat.

Rick Grimes for Governor
"This isn't a democracy anymore"
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

419 members (10gaugemag, 17CalFan, 16penny, 12savage, 10gaugeman, 10ring1, 45 invisible), 2,942 guests, and 1,159 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,277
Posts18,467,569
Members73,927
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.