Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by mark shubert
Being a few minutes late has killed a lot fewer people than speeding through construction zones.
Much less accident involved operations.

Have you met my boss? He swears he's gonna kill me if I'm late again. Oh crap I gotta get to work

Hang onto your hard hats here I come

I'm pretty certain when we sing our anthem and mention the land of the free, the original intent didn't mean cell phones, food stamps and birth control.
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
This sounds so simple, workers or no workers the signs are up, warning given. It's the law stupid
Slow down or pay up

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by rost495
Originally Posted by kingston
How could you tell?

The construction zone was vacant...

At 107, how quickly could you figure that out....

Exactly

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
I
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I
I'm amazed that anyone could try to justify going 107 whe 55 was posted, whether there was construction or not.

Don't blame me. I voted for Trump.

Democrats would burn this country to the ground, if they could rule over the ashes.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by smokepole
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
It's pretty enlightening that grown men here have to be told that driving 107mph through a construction zone probably isn't the safest or smartest thing to do...

And it's disappointing that grown men make sh** up and attribute it to others. No one said that driving 107 mph through a construction zone was safe, or smart.

You've got some screws loose,.....

I don't think Loctite's the answer, either.

GTC

Member, Clan of the Border Rats
-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by hanco
I got a 140 in a 65 in my vette. 2500.00 in 1980. I slowed down a bit.

Where did you find a 65mph speed limit in 1980?

Black Cows Matter!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by electram
The judge started lecturing about the physics of speeding. Six months in jail.

Got more time then rapists in Cal.

Ed

A person who asks a question is a fool for 5 minutes the person who never asks is a fool forever.

The worst slaves are those that put the chains on themselves.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by crossfireoops
Originally Posted by smokepole
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
It's pretty enlightening that grown men here have to be told that driving 107mph through a construction zone probably isn't the safest or smartest thing to do...

And it's disappointing that grown men make sh** up and attribute it to others. No one said that driving 107 mph through a construction zone was safe, or smart.

You've got some screws loose,.....

I don't think Loctite's the answer, either.

GTC

LOL, you telling anyone he has a screw loose is the pinnacle of irony. But go ahead, show me where anyone made the argument that driving 107 through a construction zone was safe or smart.

When in doubt and you're off on a tangent, it's always good to go back and read the OP. The subject was/is the severity of the sentence (6 months in jail). Not whether it's smart to drive 107 on a construction zone. That fact seems lost on most including you.

When a judge sentences the guilty, he takes into account aggravating and mitigating factors. So if I blow through a school zone at twice the speed limit during the time when students are arriving, the sentence should be more severe than if I do the same thing on Memorial Day when everyone knows there are no students present.

When this guy sped through the construction zone, there were no construction workers present. That's been established without a doubt. Yet people are outraged because construction workers could have been killed. Even though there were none present.

Got it?

A wise man is frequently humbled.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by IndyCA35
I'm amazed that anyone could try to justify going 107 whe 55 was posted, whether there was construction or not.

I'd be amazed too, if that actually happened.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
I better slow down.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
There are three things going on here.

1) Yes, cops DO look for extra revenue from construction zones. I got nabbed about 10 years ago, playing in the Audi. Came through the construction zone at the speed limit, ON THE DOT, passed the cones, and hit the gas. Sunday morning, 7 a.m., no one around. The county, of course, had set the "end of construction zone" about 300 yards past the end of construction. Guess where the cop sat? Got a few afternoons in traffic school out of that one, and the county got their check.

2) Judges have agenda's. While in court, a lady was brought in for failure to carry proof of insurance. Ended up that she sent in her payment in plenty of time, but the broker did not apply it to her account. Judge sent her to three days in jail. Sometimes we should just have the right to slap some sense into a judge.

3) Rich (arab) boys don't get the fact they are not above the law here like they are at home.

Sic Semper Tyrannis
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Dutch
There are three things going on here.

1) Yes, cops DO look for extra revenue from construction zones. I got nabbed about 10 years ago, playing in the Audi. Came through the construction zone at the speed limit, ON THE DOT, passed the cones, and hit the gas. Sunday morning, 7 a.m., no one around. The county, of course, had set the "end of construction zone" about 300 yards past the end of construction. Guess where the cop sat? Got a few afternoons in traffic school out of that one, and the county got their check.

2) Judges have agenda's. While in court, a lady was brought in for failure to carry proof of insurance. Ended up that she sent in her payment in plenty of time, but the broker did not apply it to her account. Judge sent her to three days in jail. Sometimes we should just have the right to slap some sense into a judge.

3) Rich (arab) boys don't get the fact they are not above the law here like they are at home.

Nice analysis.

Also, 107 MPH in a construction zone is a lot more dangerous to the public than 90% of the other things that result in 6 Mo. jail time.
while I don't know anything about defendant, I'll add that a few judges might tired of dealing with foreigners who think the U.S. is their personal amusement park.

abusus non tollit usum
E
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
E
I looked up the appeal online. Sentence reduced to 30 days. Seems about right.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I think that wherever Electam is from does not have that high of a crime rate because there is room in the jails for such a crime.

Here in, ahem, California, the State just announced that it would no longer suspend driver licenses for failure to pay tickets. So no repercussions for not obeying some laws. Of course our jails and prisons are so overcrowded that we have be de-criminalizing crimes and releasing convicts early just to get room in the prisons.

Of course one could argue that meting out tough sentences actually deters crime......

Me solum relinquatis

Molon Labe
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by electram
I looked up the appeal online. Sentence reduced to 30 days. Seems about right.

I've been waiting to see how that turned out and I agree with you.

Deadlines and commitments, what to leave in, what to leave out...
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
30 days mostly for stupidity.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by kingston
Canadian drivers exhibit an aggression surpassing even that of the typical Yankee around here. I swear, if it weren't for the strength of their diplomatic service, they'd all be in Guantanamo Bay. Superstition says that on quiet nights, if you listen carefully, you can hear the pavement crying after the passing of a Canadian tagged vehicle.

Around here, if you see Canadian tags on a vehicle, it's the ONLY one doing the speed limit. I mean, the ONLY one. They seem to be very polite and cautious while driving on I-65. Granted, this is one road, and just this one stretch of that road.

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
News without comment.
At 3 a.m. today a transport slowed at a construction site along the 401 highway and was struck in the rear by a car driven by a 20 year old driver. The driver of the car was killed.

Jim

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
About a month ago, there were 2 fatalities on I-81 in PA. Road construction had been going on for about a month and a half....And still ongoing at this time...About halfway between the Gordon exit and the start of construction at the Frackville exit (about 6 miles) there was quite the backup on a nice sunny day at around 1:30 in the afternoon.

Traffic was either at a stop or a slow crawl. Apparently, a Truck driver didn't see the miles of warning signs....Ran into the back of a small suv, pushing it under a pickup and driving the pickup into the rear of another tractor trailer.

Both occupants of the suv...A father and son...were killed in the crash and ensuing fire. The driver of the pickup was flown out by helicopter and has survived. Both truck drivers were uninjured.

Just have to be extra aware around those construction zones.

Don't let the name fool Ya!
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Good friend of mine was killed while stopped at a construction zone. He and his fiancé were driving home from a meeting with their pastor before being married the next month. He was waiting for traffic to move forward and a sedan hit him from behind. The driver said he never saw the stopped traffic, and never hit the breaks but instead plowed into the back of the car killing my friend and his fiancé. Those zones are very dangerous and awareness is key.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

3-7-77
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

521 members (1OntarioJim, 224th, 222Sako, 204guy, 222ND, 10gaugeman, 39 invisible), 1,958 guests, and 1,115 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,064
Posts18,463,464
Members73,923
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.