Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Wyogal
Originally Posted by donsm70
This is just a me thing, but I have never owned a M77 Ruger that shot worth a sheit. I may try at some point in the future, but it has surely never happened yet.

Just sayin'. donsm70

That has been my experience as well.

All said and done though, I think a pretty good case has been made for the M700 as the worst built, the primary issue being the trigger issue.
I've owned 3, still have one. They all worked and shot fine, accuracy was OK . The 300RUM was a tackdriver, quite exceptional for my experience with 700's back in the 90's.
I've since had as good accuracy as that 300RUM, with Tikkas, Weatherbys, and Brownings, carte blanche.

Sincerely hope Law is not your day job if you think innuendo, hearsay, and guesses build a case! wink Especially against the trigger. Did you know Jack Belk has never been able to duplicate a trigger failure on any Walker trigger claimed to have failed and caused harm without intentionally maladjusting it? You do realize how easy it is to have a finger on the trigger when pushing off the safety, no?

So how would you explain virtually all custom accuracy actions being 700 clones?

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
Originally Posted by Coyote_Hunter
Originally Posted by Bwana_1
Originally Posted by Bwana_1
If I may interject a question please, how would you know if a Walker trigger is in your 25 yr. old M700 30-06 ?

Should I take it to a good gunsmith ?

Because you ask - if you are concerned, yes.

Thank you Coyote Hunter, wasn't sure if it only effected newer rifles...I'll take it over to be checked, and change to a quality after market if needed,,,love my Remingtons.

Remington has a recall on some of their newer triggers but the Walker was the old design they used for decades. A rifle you cant trust isn't a rifle I would want to carry, hence my response. I trust my M700 but I also treat it like I do my other firearms - never point it at something you're not willing to destroy.

What EXACTLY do you think is wrong with the Walker trigger? You have not said anything specific and of substance and I am wondering whose line of reasoning you are swallowing.

Remington's own manufacturing records, for one.

I agree that an FOR discharge should not happen and that in many cases it probably has been the result of mal-adjusted or dirty triggers. The question is who adjusted the trigger and when. Remington's own records showed many M700s and a much higher percentage of M600's (same trigger) failed testing as they went down the manufacturing line. Are you suggesting none of those made it into the wild?

Last edited by Coyote_Hunter; 05/25/17. Reason: spelnig

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
This is just a me thing, but I have never owned a M77 Ruger that shot worth a sheit. I may try at some point in the future, but it has surely never happened yet.

Just sayin'. donsm70

My experience with Rugers is I've never had a M77, MKII or Hawkeye that did not shoot well. I don't spend a lot of time shooting for groups at 100 but when I have the results have been good to excellent. By "good" I mean 1" to 1-1/4" groups at 100. Most shoot better than that. By "excellent" I mean holes touching at 100. With one exception, all I've ever done to them is tune the trigger, float the barrel and work up handloads. The one exception is a Hawkeye I bedded because it was giving me fits. The problem turned out to be the scope. I've posted target pics before so I won't bother doing so again.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B

Just sayin'. donsm70

My experience with Rugers is I've never had a M77, MKII or Hawkeye that did not shoot well. I don't spend a lot of time shooting for groups at 100 but when I have the results have been good to excellent. By "good" I mean 1" to 1-1/4" groups at 100. Most shoot better than that. By "excellent" I mean holes touching at 100. With one exception, all I've ever done to them is tune the trigger, float the barrel and work up handloads. The one exception is a Hawkeye I bedded because it was giving me fits. The problem turned out to be the scope. I've posted target pics before so I won't bother doing so again.

Dammit, I love your target pics too... frown

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J

Just sayin'. donsm70

All said and done though, I think a pretty good case has been made for the M700 as the worst built, the primary issue being the trigger issue.
I've owned 3, still have one. They all worked and shot fine, accuracy was OK . The 300RUM was a tackdriver, quite exceptional for my experience with 700's back in the 90's.
I've since had as good accuracy as that 300RUM, with Tikkas, Weatherbys, and Brownings, carte blanche.

All the Rugers I've had were 77 tangers, red pad. I've had hunting accuracy to exceptional. There is ONE thing I found to be critical to get best accuracy. The 'angled' front screw HAD to be adjusted just 'right' for each individual rifle.

IME what adjustment worked for 1 rifle did NOT necessarily work for another. Wth a little Xperimintin I could get at least 1" groups.
My cals/cartridges were 300 WM (hard kicker), 243s, 270s, 308 W (1).

I didn't especially like that 'finicky' aspect but other than that the 77s were working firearms for me.

Jerry

Last edited by jwall; 05/25/17.

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
IC B2

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I had one of the early Ruger M77 MKII Stainless rifles in .30-06. I think I acquired it around 1991-92. It had the boat paddle stock and this one was a push feed and not CRF (early ones were push feed but had the claw extractor). The rifle was tough as nails and would take anything you could dish out. However, it never produced excellent groups. Accuracy was mediocre producing 1.5-2" groups with factory ammo. Handloaded ammunition might produce groups a hair over 1" @ 100 yds. I was never impressed with it and it went down the road.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Not sure what to make of your post, but it shows as a reply to me.

Umm, by being the originator of the this thread, the default "quick reply" is addressed as a reply to you...

It is far from hard to discern whom Steelhead was addressing in that post.

Last edited by pointer; 05/25/17.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Just sayin'. donsm70

Same here. Well built rifles but they have not been tack drivers for me.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by jwall

All the Rugers I've had were 77 tangers, red pad. I've had hunting accuracy to exceptional. There is ONE thing I found to be critical to get best accuracy. The 'angled' front screw HAD to be adjusted just 'right' for each individual rifle.

IME what adjustment worked for 1 rifle did NOT necessarily work for another. Wth a little Xperimintin I could get at least 1" groups.
My cals/cartridges were 300 WM (hard kicker), 243s, 270s, 308 W (1).

I didn't especially like that 'finicky' aspect but other than that the 77s were working firearms for me.

Jerry

OOPS - I also had a R 77, 1976 "200 Yr American Liberty" in 257 Roberts.

Wish my memory worked like 1976 blush
smile

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Sitka deer

Remington has a recall on some of their newer triggers but the Walker was the old design they used for decades. A rifle you cant trust isn't a rifle I would want to carry, hence my response. I trust my M700 but I also treat it like I do my other firearms - never point it at something you're not willing to destroy.

What EXACTLY do you think is wrong with the Walker trigger? You have not said anything specific and of substance and I am wondering whose line of reasoning you are swallowing.

Remington's own manufacturing records, for one.

I agree that an FOR discharge should not happen and that in many cases it probably has been the result of mal-adjusted or dirty triggers. The question is who adjusted the trigger and when. Remington's own records showed many M700s and a much higher percentage of M600's (same trigger) failed testing as they went down the manufacturing line. Are you suggesting none of those made it into the wild?

None involved in court cases involving physical harm has ever been seen to repeat the act even after greatly extended testing. Jack Belk tried on a bunch and failed until he maladjusted them. He was paid well and called them junk. 60 Minutes did a hatchet job on Remington.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
IC B3

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
My first Ruger was a Mark II in 7x57 Mauser purchased about 15 years ago. My son has taken two deer with it so I gifted it to him. No kidding, i went out with it one day to Clark Brothers in Warrenton and shot a six inch group at 100 yards with Remington factory ammo. Next time I went out with it, the rifle put three shots into a 1.5" group. I don't recall doing anything to the rifle that was an "aha" moment with respect to fixing that six inch group. i figure it had to be shooter headspace and timing...

i have a lot of respect for Rugers, i expect them to go bang every time i pull the trigger, but don't expect them to shoot amazing groups in my hands. For that matter, in my hands, my M700 ain't a tack driver either.

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Originally Posted by Steelhead
Those that don't carry their own rifles and pay to hunt, generally don't use 700's. Those are also the last ones to get advice about anything hunting related from.

Carry on

They certainly aren’t the type I would generally seek advice from, but they are not necessarily the last, either.

Not sure what to make of your post, but it shows as a reply to me.

If you are suggesting I don’t carry my own rifle, you are mistaken. Been carrying my own all my life. Well, except for one antelope hunt in Wyoming where I took two of my nephews. Loaned each a rifle, didn’t take one for myself. After the second got his antelope down, I “borrowed” my own rifle and carried it until I got my own antelope - so even then I carried it while I was actually hunting.

Also, if you are suggesting I pay the big bucks to hunt, you are again mistaken. We hunt Wyoming antelope on both public and private land. When on private land we give the landowners $50 per antelope down plus the landowner coupons, which I think are worth $16 each. None of the several ranches we hunt want have asked for money – the $50 is just a goodwill offering on our part. Earlier this week I sent a thank you letter to one of the ranchers with a photo of Daughter #3 and her first big game animal, a doe antelope taken last year on his ranch. We hope to be back on his ranch again in October, along with a couple of other ranches.

Since I got started hunting Colorado big game in 1982, missing only one year since, I have paid to hunt private land in Colorado exactly three times. The first time was in 2009 or 2010 when my hip was so bad I could hardly walk around the truck. I paid $500 for the opportunity (and was happy to have it) but ended up passing on the shots offered. Another was a year or two later when my hip was still bothering me and I paid $300. The last was for the opportunity to hunt a rancher’s hay field. He didn’t want any money but I took a decent-sized buck and left a goodwill check for $100 in his screen door when I left. All of my other hunts have been on publicly accessible land. (This includes Colorado’s Ranching For Wildlife ranches, which are equally available to all Colorado residents and for which licenses cost the same as regular public land licenses - about $49 these days).

Oh sweet Jesus. PM me your address and I'll mail you a clue.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
The current race to the bottom on value priced models by the bigger manufacturers leave me cold. Dont want one.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Absolutely agree. This new cheap [bleep] on the market is the worst...and they are all playing

-Joe-

The "Anti-Tactical"

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
You will usually find people that pay to hunt, as well as on their own, not to mention own, or have owned almost the full spectrum of rifle makers, often-times provide far better recommendations that from some of those who eschew paid hunting. To some, since they can't afford it, must condemn it in order to satisfy their own limitations. . One gets to see and experience folks from many walks of life, with a wide knowledge of hunting. A couple of folks here posted some pretty factual issues with the 700s, but their emotions get in the way of reasoning and those are the ones I avoid soliciting advise from, like for example, hunting with a cold chamber. Then again, with a 700, not only will you have to mind the fail on fire safety, but rounds tumbling out if the bolt catches on a limb..

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Remington has never managed to make a trigger on the 700 they didn't then have to turn around and recall. I'd say the recalls speak for themselves. Combine that with bad extraction, mobile bolt handles, run away bolts, and a round bottom small lug action not conducive to anything more than a gopher round, and I think they could reasonably be tagged as the worst. I'm sure it bunches some panties, but those are the facts.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Some earlier said 700's have a higher repair rate. Not only are they far more plentiful than other brands but they are typically shot more than others as well. The guys you see propped up behind a 700 at the range usually shoot a bunch. I'd be willing to bet the average 700 shoots for more rounds in it's lifetime than many other brands.

I'm not saying they're perfect. Far from it. But I don't think service rate statistics mean much unless you consider how much more use they may get.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by jorgeI
... A couple of folks here posted some pretty factual issues with the 700s, but their emotions get in the way of reasoning and those are the ones I avoid soliciting advise from, like for example, hunting with a cold chamber. ...

To the best I can recall, I've missed a couple opportunities at game when I had a loaded chamber but never when I've hunted with an empty chamber, which I do a lot. Go figure.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by jorgeI

A couple of folks here posted some pretty factual issues with the 700s, but their emotions get in the way of reasoning and .....

Yep. Some love to hate.

My first 700 was a BDL in 75 OR 76. NEVER been without a FEW since. Thousands of rounds shot thru them.

NOT one of ANY of the 'common failures' have I nor friends experienced.

** Now I'm NOT saying there haven't been any failures, I know there have been.
It's my opinion the % of failures is small compared to the number of 700s in service by SO MANY people.

"emotions" ruling the page. Some love to hate.

I have very strong objections to 1 or 2 brands of rifles and I detest the appearance of 1 model of a rifle.
I don't go on any rant but I have expressed my opinion or preference a few times but I don't constantly beat the drum.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I do not care for the new generation of low cost rifles. Lotta suckers out there.

Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

290 members (348srfun, 300_savage, 338reddog, 1_deuce, 260Remguy, 10gaugemag, 32 invisible), 2,355 guests, and 1,148 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,599
Posts18,454,463
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.