Hop To
S
Sponxx Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Hey guys,
Time to get a decent double rifle hard case.
My research shows minimal differences between the Storm IM3300 and the Pelican 1750.
Slightly lighter and maybe 0.5" roomier for the Storm, vs heavy and reinforced locks for the 1750.
I've read people going for and against each. However this was concerning

http://www.lightfighter.net/topic/pelican-1750-vs-storm-im3300
Pelican has failed me operationally on numerous occassions; in humid environments their seals have failed, their clasps have broken, and the list goes on and on... The seals fall out, the clasps break, the lock holes are too small for gov't locks and have to be drilled...
If you want to break it down technically, when you put hundreds of pounds of [bleep] on a rubber/plastic Pelican case it bows and crushes, it's clasps may even come open, and its seals go to [bleep] fast. When you do the same to a resin cast case, it holds strong. There's a reason a lot of companies send their stuff in Hardigg items, this has probably changed, since they are now bought and being dwindled into obscurity...

Any recommendations on which to choose?
Price difference is negligible

GB1

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
I can't help you on either one but I have read a number of good reviews on these.

https://negrinicases.com/shop/gun-cases/shotgun-cases/side-by-side/

Conduct is the best proof of character.
S
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
I can only tell you about the Pelican, I've hunted all over the US, Canada and Africa, I've never had any problems. The only issue is the end of one case got a "chip" about 3/4" long, I assume from the gorilla baggage handlers throwing the case. Recently at Newark Airport we watched our cases being bought out to the plane with my Pelican containing two rifles on top (I put orange surveyors tape on the handles) and watched it fly off the cart landing hard on the runway asphalt, apparently it didn't hurt the case. IMO Pelican cases are great.

S
Sponxx Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Ed,
Those cases are good, but I already have takedown cases for my shotguns.
Sako, I've heard great things about the Pelicans, but also good things about the Pelican Storm... being somewhat lighter and maybe roomier I was wondering what gives.

H
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
H
We use the 1750 cases at work to ship oil and gas sample cylinders in. Sometimes they will have 40 pounds in them.We have been using them since 2004 and have yet to have a latch break. If they do Pelican sells replacement latches.They are tough and very durable but heavy. We use the other styles and shapes for protecting expensive instruments and meters. They never let us down. To break one it would almost have to be intentional and it would require some effort.

IC B2

S
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
Midway just recently had the Pelicans on sale for $179, I don't remember if that was shipped free. With Memorial Day next week I would be checking Midway, Cabelas, Natchez, etc. for deals. I don't know anything about the Pelican Storm. Good luck.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Not a gun writer, but have made multiple trips to Africa, plus trips to South America and travel with guns domestically (USA).

I find the Pelican case to be excessively heavy. Some airlines do have a limit as to how much a rifle case can weigh. My usual armament when traveling to Africa consists of a .416 Rigby magazine rifle and a .470 nitro express. The two weigh 22 lbs combined. Add that to the weight of the case and you've got about 50 lbs total.

In 2012, on a trip to Namibia, I used a brand new Americase "Safari" two gun case. It arrived in Joberg badly damaged, but the rifles inside were undamaged. To their credit, Americase replaced it free of charge upon my return. I have not used the replacement case and intend to sell it.

My preferred cases are made by Impact. They are reasonably lightweight and over the course of multiple safaris, I have never experienced either damage to the case or damage to my rifles. Impact, based on personal experience, is my preferred case.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Not a gun writer, but my company uses them for some products we built for the military. The Marine Corps, specifically. The double gun cases were the right size for our product, but we were packing close to 80 lbs in each one. In order to qualify the part and container for the military, they had to go through some pretty specific military qualification tests that included shock, vibration, and what they call "Transit Drop" tests, fully loaded. That tests drops the fully loaded case from a minimum of 4 ft. if I remember correctly on each edge, face, and corner of the case. We did this on quite a few different cases and only had one instance where a latch broke. Pelican rates their cases for all of these tests, so when we told them we had one latch break, they asked for the data and to inspect the case and then they supplied us with a brand new replacement. I'm not in the know on if any of them have ever been returned by the USMC for problems with the case, but I haven't heard about it happening. That experience, plus seeing them used all over for traveling hunters would make me think it would be tough to improve on their performance

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Not sure about those two but I have had about four Pelican Cases fail on me in various ways. These might have been the economy model and they have improved the cases since I bought those. One case it may have been a Plano took a direct hit from a fork lift. The case was destroyed but the guns were fine. Now I just use the plastic cases for light duty transport and if I really need to protect anything it goes into a diamond tread welded aluminum case with dual density foam and cut outs for each firearm. Not sure what make mine is as I got it in Windhoek curtsy South African Airlines. Cabela's makes a similar one called the bombproof I think. But they are heavy and I am not sure about the current airline restrictions.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
The Storm has latches on the ends. I have a Storm Swirl and just came back from Africa. I took out the large bottom foam I left the top foam in and the thin bottom Foam. I placed two 24 inch barred scoped rifles in a soft case and then into the hard case. I would have not been able to do it without the latches on the end.You want soft cases for your guns on any extended trip.

Last edited by Slider1; 05/26/17.
IC B3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

534 members (1OntarioJim, 224th, 222Sako, 204guy, 222ND, 10gaugeman, 39 invisible), 1,979 guests, and 1,119 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,065
Posts18,463,483
Members73,923
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.