-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
been eating spring onions for 3 weeks or so. tomatoes are getting close to 3 ft high,squash and cucumbers are blooming. i grow in a raised bed thats about 30ft long. most stuff does really in a bed filled with compost.

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by rong
fyi,your locations are up for me,,,,

Me too......

Back OT....I just have a few small raised beds.

[Linked Image]

Four Tomato plants and four peppers. That's all I want or need.
Between our short growing season and living in the timber I'm a long ways from harvesting anything.

Last edited by FieldGrade; 05/25/17.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by patbrennan
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
Around here, we don't plant until close to Memorial Day. There's always a chance of frost. We had a touch of frost last week, 30F. I planted stuff that won't freeze kill a couple weeks ago and they're coming up. I planted the rest this week. Some things we started in the greenhouse and I've got most of those set out. We irrigate with drip tape. Once it's set up, it's by far the easiest way to water, other than rain of course.

[Linked Image]

That is a "big" garden!
It's not as big as it looks. This has been a pasture for 6 or 7 years. I left 5' between rows to give me room to till it as needed during the summer to keep down weeds and grass. I used quit a bit of Roundup on it but there's still a lot of old seed in the soil that will be coming up as soon as I look the other way.
Those rows over near the trees are my wife's flower garden. She hopes to corner the market in cut flowers at farmers markets this summer.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I can see the locations of anyone who has them in their profile.

― George Orwell

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Flowers, or not, that's still a garden, my friend! And a relatively large one!

I've always been a curmudgeon - now I'm an old curmudgeon.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
IC B2

I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
Mine is probably about like Rock Chuck's. But not nearly as tidy. 150' X 50' I irrigate with siphon tubes from a header ditch across the top, with a 25 gallon/minute hydrant available for backup.

But I cheat. I have a 95 hp John Deere 4020 for a garden tractor. I plowed and the tilled with a rotovator behind the tractor. Planted six rows of corn 150 foot long each wih an old John Deere two row planter. Set out a couple dozen assorted tomatoes, a couple dozen peppers, (garden salsa, red, yellow, and green bell peppers). I planted the rest with seed. Zuchini, yellow straight neck, butternut squash, cukes, cantaloupes, pumpkins and watermelon.

The corn and cukes are just starting to peek through the ground. The tomato and pepers got their little ears nipped by the frost two nights after I set them out, but I think most will recover.

We decided peas were too cheap to buy frozen, and I opted out of beets, carrots, or any of the small stuff which is a PITA to weed. I will just put the cultivator on the 4020 and pull it through.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Does an acre of asperigus count...

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by rainierrifleco
Does an acre of asperigus count...
Aspergrass is one of my favorites. I have a good row going.

We decided peas were too cheap to buy frozen, and I opted out of beets, carrots, or any of the small stuff which is a PITA to weed. I will just put the cultivator on the 4020 and pull it through.
Carrots are a bugger to weed but I really don't like grocery store varieties. They aren't bred to be edible. There are any number of good garden varieties that are worth the effort. For peas, we raise only edible pod varieties. They're too much work to shell.
I plant corn every 2 weeks until I have 4 patches going. That keeps it going all summer.
I plant watermelons next to the 1st row of corn and the spinach and peas. Those will be done early so the melons can just overrun the space. As soon as the early corn and peas are done, I cut the drip tape so the ground doesn't get any more water. That slows down the weeds considerably. It also helps to spread weed fabric under the watermelons and cantaloupe to stop weeds. Black fabric will also get hotter which helps the melons ripen sooner.

― George Orwell

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Rhubarb up 12". Ate some today. Strawberries blooming. F'kn grass got cut day before yesterday first time. Not Kotz! smile

Last edited by las; 05/25/17.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
You must not have a pack of dogs trotting through the rhubarb.

It's fenced off now.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Surprise! I found this guy in my garden this morning between the cantaloupe and the cabbage. They're found in the river near here but this guy had to make his way through a canal system then crawl quite a ways on dry ground. They're delicious and I wish I could find a few dozen more.

[Linked Image]

― George Orwell

hanco Online Content OP
Campfire Savant
OP Online Content
Campfire Savant
Big damn crawdad

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
I wish I had time for a garden. Wife doesn't care much and just as I get one going fire/ems pager just kills the needed time to tend with it usually. Have not grown one for 2 years now. Other than needing to burn the damn grass burrs out of it this year for sure.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by las
Rhubarb up 12". Ate some today. Strawberries blooming. F'kn grass got cut day before yesterday first time. Not Kotz! smile

Can't say that we have any month we don't cut grass here. Very rarely in Jan/Feb for a spell and then again in July/Aug sometimes its well into 110 and nothing growing. But most years, you can cut it every month of the year. If that makes you feel any better.....

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

80 members (300_savage, 264mag, Anaconda, 6mmCreedmoor, 13 invisible), 1,581 guests, and 783 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,175
Posts18,465,435
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.