Print Thread
Hop To
B
Basher Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
I have a line on a local Brno 21H in 7x57. I don't know a ton about Brnos other than they're generally quality rifles that are sought after. I've spent the better part of a day's free time learning about them, but don't want to miss my shot if it's a good deal, so I figured I'd ask here.

As mentioned, it's chambered in 7x57, and includes a period correct Redfield 4x scope w/ PH rings. It looks like the rear sight has been hammered on some, so I've asked about that and am awaiting a response. I've also asked for barrel length, though it looks like the rifle/23" to me. Also, I don't believe the recoil pad to be stock, correct? Looks nicely done, however. The trigger is a Dayton-Triaster adjustable. The seller states it dates to 1950, and he's asking $925. Here are the photos I've been provided so far:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Is his asking price fair? Can anyone shed some light on what's actually pictured here? Thanks in advance for any/all help!

GB1

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J

I would pay it, then change that screwed up bolt handle and the recoil pad, this would leave you with a rifle that your great-grand children would lust after.

And piss off the Parker Hale mounts and Redfield, mount a modern quality piece of glass like a Kaps 4x36 (long tube) in a set of Alaskaarmsllc mounts (30mm).

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Couple of things (besides the 'clearanced' bolt handle and recoil pad previously mentioned):

The hammering on the sight is likely someone that didn't have a drift to adjust laterally (old sights you have to physically move left or right and file for windage)

The trigger that came with the gun was likely a double set trigger, the DT is not the best, but is likely fine but there will be modifications to the inletting or excess space. Would be interested in how the modified it for the single trigger.

Something about the trigger guard bothers me, it looks military and a replacement over the 'shotgun' trigger guard that would have gone over the DST (not the whole bottom metal, just the trigger guard). I would have him send a photo of the gun from the underside to see if there is a big gap there where the two triggers were and if anything was changed to fit the new guard.

If the bottom of the gun was acceptable, I'd be all over it for $925. Been looking for one south of $1k for a while, they don't come up often.

Talent is what you're born with, skills are what you earn. - Rod Smith

Time flies, but remember, you are the pilot!
G
GRF Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Good call on the trigger guard definitely not original. Needs a few pictures to see what's been done.

B
Basher Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
I spoke with the gentleman over the phone earlier and we talked through a few things. Nice retired guy, bought the rifle for his wife and she never got around to using it. Anyway, the trigger work was done decades ago, but he swears it's a VERY nice trigger job, from both the inletting to the actual operation of the trigger. He did mention that it appears someone used a large punch on the rear sight, but it does function as it should. Action is slick, and he says it's a gorgeous rifle, but it never gets used. I'm meeting up with him on Tuesday to have a look in person, and will report back then. Thanks for the help so far, gentlemen!

IC B2

z1r Online Content
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Bottom metal is not original, it should have a shotgun type bow. Check the bottom of the grip, it should be inletted for the trigger bow.

[Linked Image]

Basically the bottom metal including triggers have been changed, the bolt handle dished for scope clearance, and the recoil pad added. Sadly, yes, the rear sight was buggered by improper adjustment but the action itself at least appears unmolested. Check the bore. If good, I wouldn't hesitate to buy it.

I'd replace the recoil pad, bolt handle (if it bothers you) and recontour the bottom metal and have fun. It is not a bargain but considering it is otherwise unmolested and a 7x57, it isn't obscenely priced.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
It is definitely retrofitted military bottom metal, with the inletting opened up to fit. He was asking $1200 a few months ago so $925 may not be a bad deal. I have a better picture of the bottom metal, but photobucket is not working for me at the moment.

Too close for irons, switching to scope...
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by MikeS
It is definitely retrofitted military style bottom metal, with the inletting opened up to fit. He was asking $1200 a few months ago so $925 may not be a bad deal. I have a better picture of the bottom metal, but photobucket is not working for me at the moment.

[Linked Image]

B
Basher Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
And you're sure this is the same guy? If so, that looks more than acceptable to me, but pictures are hard to judge. I'll be having a look first hand on Tuesday! smile

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Absolutely. Avondale area if I remember correctly.

IC B3

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
That is a different way of doing it! He cut the metal portion behind the trigger guard to fit in the military bottom metal (including front capture screw but not one on the back/rear), changed the inletting, installed the military bottom metal and fitted the BRNO floorplate to it.

It's a pretty significant modification, much more so to me than the recoil pad or bolt handle. If its just for shooting/hunting and you like it, go for it. If you want a collector that's not the one.

Talent is what you're born with, skills are what you earn. - Rod Smith

Time flies, but remember, you are the pilot!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
It was the deal breaker for me... still a nice rifle.

B
Basher Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by smallcal
That is a different way of doing it! He cut the metal portion behind the trigger guard to fit in the military bottom metal (including front capture screw but not one on the back/rear), changed the inletting, installed the military bottom metal and fitted the BRNO floorplate to it.

It's a pretty significant modification, much more so to me than the recoil pad or bolt handle. If its just for shooting/hunting and you like it, go for it. If you want a collector that's not the one.

Wow, I hadn't noticed that actually (photo isn't from the best angle). That is a pretty significant alteration, and certainly does ruin the collector's value. Hmm. It would likely make a lovely hunting rifle, yes, but now I'm doubting whether it's worth what he's asking for it or not. Although I've seen plenty of stripped double square bridge actions go for what he's asking in my research, so getting a full, functional rifle out of it may be worth the investment for a build later, if I feel so inclined? Thoughts? Anybody think I should offer less on the grounds of the alterations?

And Mike, you're close. He's in west Glendale. Did you get to see the rifle in person, or just from these photos?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Just a phone conversation and he sent me the photo.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I know there is a lot of love for the Brno 21H here but not so much from me. I purchased an absolute pristine one complete with double set trigger, chambered in a cartridge known for not having a lot of recoil - 7x57 Mauser. I shot about 20 rounds through it and sold it, the sharp comb on it hurt so bad everytime I pulled the trigger that if I had kept it I would have had a flinch in a short time. Between the drop in the stock and the sharp comb it just didn't work for me, I still drool over them but don't want to own another one.

drover

223 Rem, my favorite cartridge - you can't argue with truckloads of dead PD's and gophers.

24hourcampfire.com - The site where there is a problem for every solution.

B
Basher Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Well, I've always admired the Mauser, but I presently have three CZs that are close enough to the real deal (CZ550 Lux in .308, a CZ550FS in 6.5x55, and a mini-Mauser CZ527FS in .223). So now I'm wondering, since any other value outside of just being a nice rifle is lost with these modifications, maybe I should wait for a better example worth the $925. It looks like a great rifle overall, but I don't know if it's worth nearly a grand... :-/

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

145 members (338reddog, 444Matt, 257robertsimp, 10gaugemag, 358WCF, 1_deuce, 20 invisible), 1,715 guests, and 1,071 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,492
Posts18,452,184
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.