Print Thread
Hop To
Page 9 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by alaska_lanche

And yes everyone knows Phil stopped one with a 9mm. smile

even a Blind Hog finds a acorn every now and then

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
[Linked Image]

Son of a liberal: " What did you do in the War On Terror, Daddy?"

Liberal father: " I fought the Americans, along with all the other liberals."

MOLON LABE

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Dang, now that I've seen that add I can quit packing this big, heavy aluminum frames 9mm !

This blind hog is not recommending anyone carry a 9mm if they know they are not capable with one or don't wish to, but I have found more than a few acorns over the past four decades.

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master Guide,
Alaska Hunter Ed Instructor
FAA Master pilot
www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is not effective has either not used one, or else is unwittingly commenting on their marksmanship.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My heavy gun is a .35 W with 250 gr Partition's and or Interlokts.

Karnis doctored the Boyd's JRS stock and now it fits me like a glove.

Guess that would be my choice.

Mike

God, Family, and Country.
NRA Endowment Member

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
The two biggest magnum's i own at the present is the 300 and 338 RUM'S, plus my 338-06 Ack Imp

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by 458Win
Dang, now that I've seen that add I can quit packing this big, heavy aluminum frames 9mm !

This blind hog is not recommending anyone carry a 9mm if they know they are not capable with one or don't wish to, but I have found more than a few acorns over the past four decades.

HAHA....yeah but you are really good using a blind walking cane to find them acorns is the only reason. smile

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Just make sure when hunting those acorns with a blind walking cane you done eat a few deer turds

C
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
C
But how many shots did Phil fire into that bear, as an expert marksman with a pistol, to say nothing of his marksmanship skill with rifles? Very few, if any, have his confidence or skill level.

And remember the native girl in Alberta that killed a record-breaking grizzly with a single shot .22LR. She brained it with one shot. But the bear was unaware of her presence just a few feet away.

My oldest son has killed dozens of wart hog in Africa in the same way --using HIS single-shot .22LR. They were coming in to a water hole and he was up a tree waiting for them. He shot them for protein -- in the ear hole. When he missed the ear hole he had a merry chase around the forest. I saw one of those skulls pockmarked by .22-cal holes. He was a licensed resident big game hunter -- and missionary. At home on furlough in Canada, he did a bear hunt with me. He didn't take a .22LR of any kind, but his M94 XTR in .356 Winchester loaded with 220gr Speers that I'd done up for him. Yes, it worked on bear.

Bob

www.bigbores.ca

Last edited by CZ550; 05/27/17.

"What shall it profit a man if he gain the whole world and lose his own soul" - Jesus

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
CZ550,

I have read different stories of the big Alberta grizzly. It wandered by while Bella Twin and her friend Dave Auger were hunting grouse with the single-shot .22, and the only reason she shot was because it came so close she was afraid it might charge. In at least one version the bear looked at them--the reason she shot, so it might not have been unaware of them. Also, somebody examined the skull later, and though the first shot reportedly dropped the bear, there were quite a few .22 holes, probably to make sure the bear stayed down!

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
bea175,

I'll also note that "Nine Mil Phil" was using a 9mm bullet specifically designed for deep penetration, and has thoroughly tested it beforehand, as he does with all hunting bullets. One went through the shoulder area of the bear, and its nose was found poking out of the muscle just under the hide on the far side. It may or may not have been the bullet that "killed" the bear, but certainly contributed, as bullets which completely penetrate any animal's vitals tend to do.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I recall being at a friend's 'skinning garage' a few years ago when they peeled a modest bear's skull out of the hide...and there in a divot in the skull near the eye was a misshapen copper washed chunk of lead quite obviously resembling a 22 LR slug. I don't recall hearing about anyone getting torn up after '22-ing' their way through a bear confrontation, so perhaps 'karma' was imposed on someone's fish rack instead. Ultimately, the bear met with a 3/8" fire-pipe shortly after a spring wake-up call though.

Last edited by Klikitarik; 05/27/17.

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
Page 9 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

579 members (12344mag, 10ring1, 10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 160user, 007FJ, 54 invisible), 2,302 guests, and 1,193 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,610
Posts18,454,896
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.