Print Thread
Hop To
L
lvmiker Online Content OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
I have always been a fan of activities that stretch the known limits of human intellect and athleticism. At age 70 I can recall many great events from spacewalks to the ascent of Everest w/out oxygen. As a mountain person I see routes that I was proud to have climbed now being skiied!

Recently a world class mountain runner, skier and climber named Killian Jornet climbed from Mt. Everest base camp to the summit. He did so in 26 hours w/out ropes or oxygen. 11,249 vertical feet to the top of the world solo. I find this both amazing and inspiring.

What human achievements that occurred in your lifetime are most memorable?

mike r

Don't wish it were easier
Wish you were better

Stab them in the taint, you can't put a tourniquet on that.
Craig Douglas ECQC
GB1

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
...Americans rose up, off their couches and away from primetime TV, responding to the greatest threat to their freedom in 30-40? Years, and killed Hillarys Chance of sticking a dagger between their shoulder blades, and America's, in Nov.

Amazing.

(but I do respect the Everest achievement. Outstanding).

Last edited by WillARights; 05/26/17.

Trump HAD the World, ", Trump saw our children, "
Trump saw a way to make a brighter day so he started giving
There was a choice he was making, he was saving our own lives
Its true he made a brighter day for you and me. --Trump WINS 2016
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by WillARights
...Americans rose up, off their couches and away from primetime TV, responding to the greatest threat to their freedom in 30-40? Years, and killed Hillarys Chance of sticking a dagger between their shoulder blades, and America's, in Nov.

Amazing.

(but I do respect the Everest achievement. Outstanding).

Well said.

[Linked Image]
Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
That's amazing. Lot of dead bodies up there that can't be brought down. Tons of trash too.

Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
Apparently that feller has a lot of first fastest climbs.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
IC B2

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Man on the Moon.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Reinhold Messner and Peter Habeler ascending Mt. Everest without supplemental oxygen.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
The ability of Mrs mag to put up with me....... grin

Paul

"I'd rather see a sermon than hear a sermon".... D.A.D.

Trump Won!, Sandmann Won!, Rittenhouse Won!, Suck it Liberal Fuuktards.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
"...one small step for Mankind." Considering all the obstacles that were overcome by group effort in a short amount of time and the vision and imagination and boldness of it all I can't think of anything since that's topped it. An absolute shame we didn't run with it, though we're sauntering along. Better than nothing I guess. Today the amazingness of humans is that we're reverting to indiscriminate slaughter of innocents for no rational purpose.

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Deflagrate
Man on the Moon.

Yes, and,BHO put a man in the ladies bathroom.

Randy
NRA
Patriot Life Benefactor

IC B3

KC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by lvmiker
Recently a world class mountain runner, skier and climber named Killian Jornet climbed from Mt. Everest base camp to the summit. He did so in 26 hours w/out ropes or oxygen. 11,249 vertical feet to the top of the world solo. I find this both amazing and inspiring.

Mike:

I don't intend to belittle Killian Jornet's achievement. Anyone who successfully climbs any of the 8,000 meter peaks, with or without oxygen, has accomplished a major athletic achievement and triumph of the will. However, Jornet is not the first or even the best. Between 1970 and 1986, Reinhold Messner climbed all 14 of the 8,000 meter peaks, solo, without oxygen. Reinhold Messner

Several other climbers have climbed 8,000m peaks solo, without oxygen, including Everest.

Low oxygen content in the air at high altitude is only one of the obstacles challenging climbers on the highest mountains in the world. The primitive living conditions in the remote wilderness, extreme cold, hurricane winds, and technical climbing difficulty all contribute to a high death toll. AND now there are so many people attempting to climb Chomolungma that there are traffic jambs between base camp and the summit that can delay climbers for several hours in the "Death Zone."

KC

Wind in my hair, Sun on my face, I gazed at the wide open spaces, And I was at home.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

551 members (007FJ, 12344mag, 10gaugemag, 17CalFan, 163bc, 50 invisible), 2,327 guests, and 1,168 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,236
Posts18,466,721
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.