Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Valsdad Online Content OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
I acquired a Model 12 from a friend a couple of years back, a bit of a beater to put it mildly. Full choke bbl, pitting, darkened (oil soaked?) wood. Slide etc. still functions, haven't fired it yet. Pictures (sorry for the crappy phone pics) below:

[Linked Image]

Receiver pic shows typical pitting on gun, bore looks OK though.

[Linked Image]

I've already got an 870 Wingmaster with Trap bbl and a 26" interchangeable choke bbl, and a 20g 870 Express so I'm not interested in doing loads of work to replace those. They meet my shotgunning needs mostly (I do "need" a SXS though wink ).

This gun will just be a project for the winter.

My thoughts:

NOT a restoration! Possible turkey gun? Camp gun? Slug gun?

Refinish metal in something relatively rust proof. Prefer not to send it out, just do it myself. Duracoat? Krylon?

Strip and refinish wood. Brownell's stuff? Hardware store boiled linseed oil? Spar varnish type stuff? Sand and Krylon rattle can a contrasting color to metalwork?

Options:

Have bbl threaded for choke tubes? cost?

Have bbl bored to modified or similar for more versatility (Steel duck loads?)

New or used replacement bbl?

Or take the easiest route, test fire, oil up the metal and go shooting?

So, has anyone used the Duracoat on a project like this. I'm leaning toward trying it. I'm not going to try to fully remove all the pitting for a nice smooth finish, so will that stuff cover it if the metal is just lightly polished up?

This thing cost me a whole $50 and I'm not going to spend a lot on it. If I wanted to do that, I'd get a reasonably priced Mossberg or another 870.

Thanks in advance for any help/ideas.

Thanks,
Geno

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Pack the wood in whiting and leave it in a warm place for a while. Wipe it off and repeat for as long as it takes to get the oil out.

Boiled linseed oil is total garbage!!! Do not ever use it on any good firearm.

Sandpaper will do far more harm than good...

Quickie solution for the wood would be a simple application of Formby's Furniture Refinisher. It is not to remove the finish, but rather just to move the old finish around. It is not going to give you a perfect finish, but it will improve it and give you a base to apply some good curing oil for looks.

Spar varnish will be harder to work with and will look like a plastic wrapped stock.

Krylon matte black would be the easiest way to fix the metal...

Installing choke tubes is relatively cheap and makes the gun much more versatile. The model 12s have steel strong enough to shoot steel shot... but I would not shoot larger shot through it as a full choke. Taking some of the choke out is even cheaper than tubes.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I agree with Mr. Art.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
That model70man is worth listening to!

wink

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
That was quick,

Thanks Sitka, much appreciated.

Whiting: I know I've heard about it somewhere in my 5+ decades of life, but for the life of me I have no idea where to pick some up. I'm heading into town today and wonder is this stuff available in local hardware stores such as True Value or Ace? Do I have to find a specialty wood working shop?

Linseed oil: I just happen to have some around for yard tool handles, I was thinking it a cheap alternative to tung or specialty finishes for a beater shotgun. Thanks for the warning.

Sandpaper: same as above, thanks.

Furniture refinisher: I'll check for that in a couple of places today, had never heard of this fix.

Spar Varnish: I figured it would be a bit "glossy" for my purposes but thought I'd ask.

Krylon: Well, that's an easy one, I know where to get it if I don't happen to have a can already hanging around. cool

Choke tubes/bbl fix: Thanks for the info on that stuff too. I was thinking the same thing about larger shot in that type of constriction. I'll check around here and online for who might do the work if I decide to go that route.

Again, very thankful for the quick informative reply.

Geno

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Whiting is available in decent paint stores, should be at bigger hardware stores. Formby's Furniture Refinisher may be harder to locate.

Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
If I can't find them locally I'll find them online.

Everything's available on the internet, right? wink

Thanks again,

Geno

In it is contentment

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
You've got $50 in it you say, and it's running fine. Would do like Art described. Meanwhile break it down, clean, soak breach block in whatever you like, lube. I just love old patina like you've got there; it'd be criminal to cover it up and would look worse to do so, not better, IMO. Eezox or whatever rust prevent you like and rock on. It's not going to rust away.

Sure you could put tubes in it if want flexibility between turkey/rifled/open chokes. But if that's not a high priority, and rather just wanted a solid classic 12ga, if was me I'd have it opened to say Mod (or IC) and soldier on. If want to be fancy lengthen the forcing cone. But hell for $150 or whatever all-in I'd clean it up, open it to Mod, and enjoy that classic for what it is, smiling, and never look back.

p.s. speaking of online options, Carlson's does pretty reasonable choke work. Local smith choke work can be pretty hit or miss, just be aware.

Golldammed motion detector lights. A guy can’t even piss off his porch in peace any more.

"Look, I want to help the helpless. It's the clueless I don't give a [bleep] about." - Dennis Miller on obamacare.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'm with sandcritter as I have a handful of M-12's in similar condition and they work great and you don't have to pamper them and worry about aquiring extra scratches.

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master Guide,
Alaska Hunter Ed Instructor
FAA Master pilot
www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is not effective has either not used one, or else is unwittingly commenting on their marksmanship.
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I would leave the current choke alone. The money spent on tubes or reaming will buy a lot of spreader loads that greatly expand the flexibility of tightly choked guns. (Or one heckuva pile of spreader appliances to insert into the shot charges if you handload shotgun cartridges.)

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
IC B3

R
RAN Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
To clean up the wood, try this:Get a disposable aluminum roaster pan at the supermarket that is large enough for the
stock. Stop by your Home Depot or whatever and get a gallon of acetone and a
gallon of alcohol. If the stock has a plastic finish you might want a can of
some paste stripper too. Use that first if the outside finish requires it. If
the stock has a varnish or oil finish the acetone will lift that with no
problem. Then toss the stock in the roaster and pour in the acetone (it will
also neutralize the paste stripper). Cover the wood until it floats. Then pull
off a good length of aluminum foil and make a cover for the "tank", sealing it
as well as possible. Be aware that acetone is highly volatile and smoking the
cigar over the top of it is not recommended. Let the things soak for several
days, turning the wood over a couple times a day. When you feel like you're
tired of that, and the acetone looks like it has quit changing color, pour the
acetone back in the can, rinse the roaster out with alcohol, and then soak the
stock in the alcohol just like you did in the acetone. When you yank the baby
out of the alcohol bath it will be CLEAN! And you can seal it and refinish it
anyway you want after you let it dry a couple days.

RAN

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
Not trying to hijack the OP but Sitka Deer could you elaborate on the whiting process? I have a 721 stock that I am refurbishing and it has been sitting in my safe for about a month now since I stripped and sanded it. There is now oil stains showing and I would like to get as much out as possible before I put my finish on it.

Do I just pack whiting around the action? Thanks!

Recovering Yankee
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by RAN
To clean up the wood, try this:Get a disposable aluminum roaster pan at the supermarket that is large enough for the
stock. Stop by your Home Depot or whatever and get a gallon of acetone and a
gallon of alcohol. If the stock has a plastic finish you might want a can of
some paste stripper too. Use that first if the outside finish requires it. If
the stock has a varnish or oil finish the acetone will lift that with no
problem. Then toss the stock in the roaster and pour in the acetone (it will
also neutralize the paste stripper). Cover the wood until it floats. Then pull
off a good length of aluminum foil and make a cover for the "tank", sealing it
as well as possible. Be aware that acetone is highly volatile and smoking the
cigar over the top of it is not recommended. Let the things soak for several
days, turning the wood over a couple times a day. When you feel like you're
tired of that, and the acetone looks like it has quit changing color, pour the
acetone back in the can, rinse the roaster out with alcohol, and then soak the
stock in the alcohol just like you did in the acetone. When you yank the baby
out of the alcohol bath it will be CLEAN! And you can seal it and refinish it
anyway you want after you let it dry a couple days.

RAN

One of the nastiest options of all times... acetone is very bad stuff for your liver and other organs. Your suggestion is ridiculously naive...

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by damnyankee308
Not trying to hijack the OP but Sitka Deer could you elaborate on the whiting process? I have a 721 stock that I am refurbishing and it has been sitting in my safe for about a month now since I stripped and sanded it. There is now oil stains showing and I would like to get as much out as possible before I put my finish on it.

Do I just pack whiting around the action? Thanks!

No, take the wood off the action and pack the oil-soaked areas with whiting. To increase the speed you can make a paste with the previously mentioned acetone and pack it on the oily areas, wrap with aluminum foil and put in a warm WELL-VENTILATED place, preferably outside for a few days.

Repeat as many times as needed/desired.

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
Thanks I'll give it a try with the whiting.

Mike

Recovering Yankee
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
The barrel is too thin to put screw in chokes in it, most smithes wont do it. I seen one done and you could see the outline of the threads on the out side of the barrel. thats why they put poly chokes on them. have it opened to modified or imp cylinder if you don't like the full choke.( mdl 12 only)

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

521 members (1beaver_shooter, 12344mag, 1minute, 19rabbit52, 10gaugeman, 1eyedmule, 58 invisible), 2,726 guests, and 1,218 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,713
Posts18,456,912
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.