Hop To
#12055868 05/26/17
T
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
Question for M1 Garand guys, please--

Just got a CMP Garand, came in two boxes, stock in one, barrel and other parts in the other.

I assembled the stock and action, but when I tried to install the trigger assembly, could not lock down the trigger guard.
It fits into the action/stock easily, but the guard will not lock, it will not even push down close to the notch.
If the stock is removed, the trigger can be installed and locked into the action without issue.
The trigger can be set into the stock and the guard will easily move into position.
When they are put together, won't lock
Any ideas/suggestions?

Thanks

GB1

Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
Check videos on u tube, lots of them on disassembling Garands. Anything really!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
New wood sometimes fits real tight. It may require some inletting on your part. Typically, the trigger group crushes down the wood and makes for a real tight fit. This is good if you want an accurate M1. Just make sure the receiver is set into the stock as far as possible before you try to inlet. Take a rubber mallet and tap on the back of the action to make sure the receiver is fully seated.

I said TAP not smack. Serious Garand shooters are envious of your tight fitting stock.

kwg

For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it. TRR. American conservative. Never trust a white liberal. Malcom X Current NRA member.
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T

Go to the CMP website and review their instructions.
Armorers will often use a rubber mallet to latch the trigger guard... look for a video.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Some grease in the lugs can ease the effort, too. I had one that was very hard to close. I wiped the lugs on the triggerguard with a little grease and it helped quite a bit.

Go to: http://www.garandgear.com/m1-garand-grease There are a lot of good maintenance tips.

Check out #5 in particular, under "additional areas to grease."

[Linked Image]

IC B2

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
if the think locks outside of the wood, and fits flush when in the wood, suspect you have some binding along there, looking close on the wood might find the marks to tell you where.
Some lock into position pretty tight, others loose.
typically when mine are loose they will go down to a couple of inches from the lock position but are under tension. You have to push against that tension to fully engage the trigger guard.

THE BIRTH PLACE OF GERONIMO
N
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
N
The guys at CMP sometimes use a rubber mallet to seat the trigger guard. I've used the end of a ten pound weight wrapped with a towel to do the same with the rifle inverted on a padded surface.

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.
O
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
O
[Linked Image]

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Call CMP. Their Armorers are more than happy to talk about your problems. I got mine in a nice hard case all put together. The serial number on it was very close to the one I used in Korea in the Corps. Can't go wrong for what they charge.

Better to be over the hill than under it.
L
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
L
Originally Posted by kwg020
New wood sometimes fits real tight. It may require some inletting on your part. Typically, the trigger group crushes down the wood and makes for a real tight fit. This is good if you want an accurate M1. Just make sure the receiver is set into the stock as far as possible before you try to inlet. Take a rubber mallet and tap on the back of the action to make sure the receiver is fully seated.

I said TAP not smack. Serious Garand shooters are envious of your tight fitting stock.

kwg

This is correct. Leaving the rifle assembled will slowly compress the wood, allowing easier assembly in the future. When fitting a new stock, make sure the stock does not rub on the operating rod when it is in motion. Google "garand tilt test" for further instructions. If you are familiar with using spotting compound or lampblack for scraping bedding it is possible to improve the fit of the stock. I have often found that Boyds type stocks make contact on the little shelf at the left front of the receiver in front of the clip latch pin, before the main bedding surfaces contact the top of the stock. Another area to check is the bottom of the rear hand guard. There must be a small gap between the bottom of the hand guard and the top of the stock forearm, an index card thick gap will do. There must also be a slight gap between the rear end of the hand guard and the front face of the receiver. If the hand guard does not have a gap in these two areas, the point of impact will shift as the rifle heats up. Once the rifle is properly set up it will be good to go for several thousand rounds of shooting fun. Don't forget the grease!

The CMP website has a lot of great links for garand information.

IC B3

T
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
Thanks for all the feedback.

I called a gunsmith that I know, he knows a lot about military rifle.
He said that some are just tighter than others, and to push back and down hard.
Sure enough it snapped into place.
I was afraid of damaging something and did not push hard enough.
That thing is tight.

O
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
O
Originally Posted by rondrews
Call CMP. Their Armorers are more than happy to talk about your problems..

No reason to call, this is not a problem. This is how a properly fitting stock is supposed to go together

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

557 members (17CalFan, 007FJ, 10gaugemag, 160user, 10Glocks, 1Longbow, 52 invisible), 2,407 guests, and 1,129 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,500
Posts18,452,470
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.