Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
G
Gus Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
G
so, let's hear it. the good, the bad, the ugly. our jenn-air is over 20 years old, and the gasket seals are splitting, and getting leaky. probably time for a new something or other.

i think jenn-air has been bought by maytag, not sure.

what else is out there that's good value for the buck? i'm thinking 18 cubic feet, more or less, but that'd be a start.

and what brand/product should i definitely stay away from?

thanks in advance. oh, a shopping we shall go...

GB1

Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
I've always had Sears, last for ten years.

G
Gus Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
G
our jenn-air replaced a GE. we bought it prior to 2000 at a local sell-all called Roberds. they shut the doors in 2000. we've had gasket reworked about 3-4 years ago. and it's leaking again. not a good solution to have a fridge that lets water puddle on the floor.

kenmore is sears, right? and is sears going strong? just asking. have heard of kitchen aid, but never been around one. locally, it's either home depot or loews pretty much.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
All of the brands mentioned in the posts above, except for the GE, are now owned and built by Whirlpool. Whirlpool has bought up most of their competition, lowered quality and moved much of the manufacturing out of the country.
Good luck, expect about 5 years an any new fridge.
Google refrigerator reviews and see what the appliance technicians are saying.
I replaced all of my major appliances with Kitchen Aid (Whirlpool) in 2008 and none of them lasted over 6 years without requiring service, except for the microwave.

Let's Go Brandon! FJB
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I'd replace the seals. It's likely to out last anything you buy new for under $1500.

Paul

"I'd rather see a sermon than hear a sermon".... D.A.D.

Trump Won!, Sandmann Won!, Rittenhouse Won!, Suck it Liberal Fuuktards.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

IC B2

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
I bought an LG in 2007. It's still chugging with no problems other than the ice dispenser got frozen one time. Pulled it and thawed it out. Worked fine ever since. I suspect all brands are a crap shoot though. I do clean dust out from the back lines once or twice a year as maintenance.

G
Gus Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
G
yep, lot's of varieties and flavors out there. before we bought the jenn-air, we'd used GE nearly forever. when it broke, we replaced. a good enough system i reckon. we use to have an old frigidare back in the day. couldn't wear it out, just had to de-frost the beast from time to time.

i guess it's coming to the point to just buy something that looks good, and use it. when it quits throw it out, and buy the latest, best model on the showroom floor as a replacement. makes sense i guess.

our jenn-air has been a beast, but it's 20 years old.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Gus I think your last post is pretty much the current way of the world. I don't think they make one like our 30 y.o. Frigidare anymore. Like water heaters you are probably looking at a 8-10 yr life cycle.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by Gus
so, let's hear it. the good, the bad, the ugly. our jenn-air is over 20 years old, and the gasket seals are splitting, and getting leaky. probably time for a new something or other.

i think jenn-air has been bought by maytag, not sure.

what else is out there that's good value for the buck? i'm thinking 18 cubic feet, more or less, but that'd be a start.

and what brand/product should i definitely stay away from?

thanks in advance. oh, a shopping we shall go...

Get any of the major brands with the features you like, but buy the longest extended warranty available to go with it. That's the way it works now. Gone are the days when you buy one and it just goes and goes, decade after decade.

PS The fewest special features (Ice maker, water, etc.) will equate to the fewest breakdowns, generally speaking.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Same here will go with L G or samsung as per washer and dryer fantastic quality and quite good price

IC B3

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
for the most part they are all cheaply made these days.....buy the one that has the features you want and make sure you get the extended warr. when they ask if you want it.....

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Bought a Sears fridge a couple weeks back. It is an LG. Sales guy told us all their fridges are built by LG (Korea).

1/5th of the price of the American made Kitchen Aid built-in it replaced. The Kitchen Aid went 16 years and required about two grand worth of servicing during it's life span.

Remains to be seen how durable it is. To bad the US has ceded the bulk of the home appliance market to offshore manufacturers.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Whatever brand you choose, DO NOT get a french door/bottom freezer model. They suck.

Do not feed the bear!

White Bear sometimes treads on thin ice...
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
We were shopping dishwashers, when salesman asked what I expected to get out of a new one, one thing I said was that it last a while without breaking. His reply was, new appliances last 6-7 years. He didn't grin, look at the floor or apologize. WTF, everything is $1k plus and it is s chitt in 6 years and they are not ashamed to even say that.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
My Kenmore (sears) is still keeping everything cold after 15 years, the ice maker died last year and after checking on the repair price ($500) I decided not to put that much in a 15 year old frig. Started looking around and like the LG models and will most likely go that way.

As for the ice maker the feature my wife liked was getting crushed ice dispensed in front and that still works fine, so every couple of weeks I grab a $2 bag of ice to refill it. So as long as it keeps running $35 a year for ice beats shelling out $2K+ for a new unit.

Ted
G
Gus Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
G
yep, more than one way to skin a cat. we're on the search now, loews & home depot are the two go-to stores, and walk the aisles and see what they have.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Our fridge is 17 and getting tired. We have started checking Lowe's and Home Depot when near them. They get damaged units that still have warranty, they sell them at a good discount. If the damage will be concealed, it's a great deal.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
W
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
W
Whirlpools are made in Amana , Iowa, our son-in-law is a computer programmer for Whirlpool , I've toured the plant.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The Whirlpool Corporation is an American multinational manufacturer and marketer of home appliances, headquartered in Benton Charter Township, Michigan, United States, near Benton Harbor, Michigan. The Fortune 500 company has annual revenue of approximately $21 billion, 100,000 employees, and more than 70 manufacturing and technology research centers around the world. The company markets Whirlpool, Maytag, KitchenAid, Jenn-Air, Amana, Gladiator GarageWorks, Inglis, Estate, Brastemp, Bauknecht, Indesit, and Consul. Whirlpool Corporation is the world's largest home appliance maker.

Let's Go Brandon! FJB
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by White_Bear
Whatever brand you choose, DO NOT get a french door/bottom freezer model. They suck.

Grew up with a traditional top freezer bottom fridge unit. Seemed fine.

My current is a side by side. Sucks holy azz.

I'm thinking a dedicated freezer and a full size fridge is the way to role

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

95 members (007FJ, 7mm_Loco, 10gaugemag, 35, Akhutr, 7x57Hunter, 9 invisible), 1,562 guests, and 752 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,599
Posts18,454,564
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.