Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Bruce Willis lives in Hailey, ID and owns land not too far away near Fairfield. He wanted to build a private airstrip on his land. This land isn't in the same county as the elitist Hailey/Ketchum/Sun Valley. It's still farm and ranch country, largely Mormon, and they don't like celebrities doing whatever they like. Willis got the permit and started grading. However, the county quickly realized that the zoning was strictly agricultural and shut him down. It was a dumb mistake on their part but someone probably figured that hey, he's Bruce Willis! He asked the country commissioners for rezoning and they agreed so work started again. However, neighbors sued. The judge said that the commissioners acted illegally when they changed the zoning and voided the permit. It's not likely to go higher in the court system. No airstrip. Shucks.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
BP-B2

J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
Gawd, it must really suck to have neighbors.

I am MAGA.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
hows the airstrip detrimental to that area?

C
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
C
I'm on his side, if it's his land why can't he build an airstrip? I know a few guys with private airstrips, they didn't ask anyone for permission. What the heck is "zoning for agriculture"? There are places where you have to have permission to grow stuff?

Too many California ideas in Idaho

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
He needs to grow corn.

IC B2

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
(Neo)Conservatives only care about private property rights when it's their property but are more than happy to show their liberal colors when it's someone else's property they want to control. F'ckin hypocrites. Pretty funny that the mormons want to dictate what others can do since they never liked being told that they can't have more than one wife or that their wife had to be older than a child.

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by AcesNeights
(Neo)Conservatives only care about private property rights when it's their property but are more than happy to show their liberal colors when it's someone else's property they want to control. F'ckin hypocrites. Pretty funny that the mormons want to dictate what others can do since they never liked being told that they can't have more than one wife or that their wife had to be older than a child.

Or maybe they just think laws are to be enforced. If you don't like Mormons, Idaho may not be your best bet.

Let's Go Brandon! FJB
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by NVhntr

Or maybe they just think laws are to be enforced. If you don't like Mormons, Idaho may not be your best bet.
Willis is a good old boy and Mormons belong to a cult.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Crow hunter
I'm on his side, if it's his land why can't he build an airstrip? I know a few guys with private airstrips, they didn't ask anyone for permission. What the heck is "zoning for agriculture"? There are places where you have to have permission to grow stuff?

Too many California ideas in Idaho

Funny you say that, but the idea behind zoning for AG use is to preserve the land for Agricultural use. You must enjoy all those 5 acre ranchettes that have replaced large tracts of productive land.....Good thing those ranches were'nt zoned and the landowner was able to sub divide his land.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Subdividing into ranchettes is a substantial and irrevocable change to agricultural land. An airstrip might not be viewed as quite so drastic an alteration.

If Willis can find one rancher with his own airstrip (which wouldn't be hard) he's got a good chance at an appeal, if he chooses to do that.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

IC B3

C
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
C
Originally Posted by hardway
You must enjoy all those 5 acre ranchettes that have replaced large tracts of productive land.....Good thing those ranches were'nt zoned and the landowner was able to sub divide his land.

I wouldn't know about them, that's a california (or Idaho) thing. Whether or not I enjoy them is irrelevant if the guy wants to break up his property and sell it. It's his property and should be his decision.

I'm a staunch believer in private property rights. If someone wants to keep land in agriculture then buy it and plant something.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
This is one of those lose lose situations you get when you don't work together with your neighbors in a rural area. You let your neighbors know your planned use, ask them what you can do to make it work for them (limited flights and hours and avoiding homes on the path, the Fred a ride in a medical emergency) feed them at a BBQ and see if that works. At worst your neighbors think you are an ok guy and don't look to cause problems for you.

If that doesn't work screw them and build a long strait road to your new big barn that happens to fit a plane.

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
I have a hard time siding with anyone but Willis on this one....

Zoning is a joke, and even moreso outside the limits of an incorporated city.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Tell him to land on the county road like the farmers with planes. It was surprising flying over eastern Washington farm country back in the 80's how many farms had planes and no runways.

Last edited by mart; 05/27/17.

Chronographs, bore scopes and pattern boards have broke a lot of hearts.
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by NVhntr

Lol. That's the last thing mormons care about, laws. Their multiple wives, marrying and impregnating children are all laws that mormons don't GAS about but apparently an airstrip in "agriculturally zoned" areas are at the top of their morally superior adherence to the law.lol. Never mind the fact that Bruce was following the law irregardless of how f'cking stupid the law is. He went through the permitting process and re-zoning process legally so the ridiculous argument that the mormons really care about the law is shot to hell on its face.

I don't have anything against the good folks I've known that were Mormon nor do I much care what they do on their "compounds", short of pedophillia but for them to throw a hissy fit over an airstrip in the middle of nowhere is disingenuous and hypocritical. I bet if Bruce was a Mormon there'd be no problem at all.

But yeah, they're so concerned about the law, that's it. Mountain Meadows redux?

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Well ... maybe it's time for poor old Bruce to get a helicopter instead. Maybe something like a Sikorsky S-92 VIP: They run anywhere from $17,000,000 to $30,000,000, depending on how they are configured / outfitted. Max speed is 194 mph and a range of 590 miles:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Zoning for AG protects the farmer/rancher . Certain areas are zone Rural Residential, Planned Public Commercial. Community Commercial All are mean to locate different land uses to specific areas .Usually, Agriculture Zoned land is taxed less, but in Colorado at least, you have to be growing something, raising livestock and such. Depends if Willis planned on landing a Cessna or a 727 jet. These zoning restrictions are in place because of some butt holes have no sense of common decency regarding the treatment of neighbors. Evidenced by some of the replys here. Property rights end where they affect my property. I shouldn't have to put up with race track next to me unless it was approved before I moved in and my neighbor should not have to put up with a feed lot feeding out 200hea of beef next to him unless it was approved before he moved in.

Last edited by saddlesore; 05/27/17.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Sadly, private property rights have pretty much gone away.

EE is spot on when he mentioned the Morman good ol' boy club.

Bruce should have just built a road.

Airplanes can land on roads too. wink

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
No zoning here in Nebraska.....build whatever you want......if it falls on your head tough

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by rainierrifleco
No zoning here in Nebraska.....build whatever you want......if it falls on your head tough

I've seen zoning in municipalities. Never in rural areas.

More government control and overreaching.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
95 members (10gaugemag, 16penny, 257_X_50, 338Rules, 444Matt, 13 invisible), 1,749 guests, and 736 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,727
Posts18,400,720
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.