Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by cumminscowboy
I have been impressed with both the thunderbolt and the golden bullet HP loads from my 22's. I don't think its the cleanest burning stuff out there but its shoots pretty darn good. I tested 6 different types of 22 lr yesterday and the golden bullet hp was one of the best shooting. I have shyd away from anything remington the last few years but, the 22 lr is good stuff. I wonder what happened to their yellow jacket loading? varmint guy, I hate to break it to you but with my dealer discount I can get that bucket of 1400 rounds from graf's with my dealer account for $69.

I get dealer discount to, BUT they would still have to pay me to take there junk. Golden bullets today aren't the golden bullets of the 70's. Way to many misfires and light loads for me, even at .049 cents each still not worth it.

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
These Golden Bullets had a bad rap a few years ago for not firing. Some would take two or three hits to fire. Have they gotten any better. I said I would never buy them again. That was pre SH

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Sad that Remington continues to produce what most know as the bottom of the barrel for .22 rf. Dirty and about 10% or more will FTF.

Let's Go Brandon! FJB
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
I bought a brick of this in 2013, at the height of the panic buying when finding .22 anything at retail price felt like a score.

I wouldn't buy another box if it were free.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I've had good luck with G.B. besides a few duds, they cycle small pistols well and hit hard from a rifle.

Last edited by night_owl; 06/04/17.

abusus non tollit usum
IC B2

W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
I have shot thousands of these, but finally ran into a bad bunch.. Been shooting them in my single sixes.. They shoot ok, but some are so tight they have to be forced into the chambers.. Cleaned the chambers, still tight.. Tried some old Federals, they chambered w/ ease..

Molon Labe
D
dla Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
It has been a long time since I've had a bad batch of them. I've had more trouble with the Remington Golden Sabre.
Keltec PF-9 Review

Last edited by dla; 06/11/17.
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I shot a few GB's this weekend from a fairly new batch, all went off the first hit and functioned the two pistols we were using, but I noticed a couple that had a quieter report. Just the Remingtons, not the WW or Federals.

'Four legs good, two legs baaaad."
----------------------------------------------
"Jimmy, some of it's magic,
Some of it's tragic,
But I had a good life all the way."
(Jimmy Buffett)

SotG
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I remember the misspent days of my youth, when I would buy a box of 50 .22lr ammo and go forth to slay the jack rabbits. One day a box yielded 43 dead jacks but that was with a .22 rifle that was a bolt action.

Today almost all my .22 lr rifles are semi-auto and the kill ratio is far far less, but still fun. Back 20-25 years ago the Thunderturds were a respectable animal and the brand name on the box did not seem to matter very much. Over the last 10 years the Remington .22 ammo has taken a turn into the sewer. Like many lads here I had extremely dirty firearms, multiple misfires, and dismal accuracy. After suffering through time after time with that experience I vowed to never again use Thuderturds in my firearms.

To date nothing in the reports of fellow shooters has led me to believe that the quality of that ammo has been upgraded, so I pass on them even if they are the only brand on the shelf.
I was fortunate enough to stock up on bulk ammo from Federal and Winchester when the Wally World prices were at the $10/550 amount.

Please alert me when the quality improves on this ammo.

D
dla Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I just burned through 100 pack of CCI minimags and had 4 duds. I took one dud and retried it 3 times. Never used to happen with CCI of old.

IC B3

V
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
V
Dla: I host between 12 and 20 high volume Ground Squirrel shooters/Hunters a year, virtually all of them bring along 22 pistols and 22 Rifles and a myriad of appropriate and inappropriate 22 L.R. ammunitions.
I have done these high volume shooting Hunts for 20 years now.
It never ceases to amaze me that these Hunters virtually universally (in the past 20 years there have been at least 60 different "Hunters" in attendance) have had misfires, failures to extract, failures to eject and this year for the first time an explosion of a 22 L.R. cartridge. I am constantly amazed at the indignation, surprise, incredulity and anger displayed by ALL these folks over these "dud's", a failure to extract or a failure to eject!
Often times I laugh at them over their various emotional manifestations.
Its been 40 plus years since I realized and accepted that 22 L.R. ammunition is not perfect!
There are going to be failures with this mass produced ammunition - that's just a fact of life.
A little more on that "explosion" that occurred this year - my friend from Yelm, Washington was shooting a new Ruger 77/22 V/T and had been shooting Winchester 40 grain Super-X round nose ammunition (inappropriate!) in it.
He was shooting out the passenger side window of my VarmintMobile (he's left handed) and I was spotting for him and directing his fire when an explosion event took place at his shot!
I felt the blast in my face and my friends face was cut by something!
We were both stunned and immediately began to try and analyze the event.
He suggested the previous shot had left a bullet in his barrel I said no I had spotted that previous shot and it hit a Gopher!
I suggested inspection of the barrel and bullet casing.
He opened the bolt of the Ruger 77/22 V/T and there in the breach lay one of the Rifles extractors - it had been blown out of the bolt!
Inspection of the spent casing showed more than average powder burns but no ruptures?
We were completely puzzled.
I suggested he not shoot that ammo anymore - and he concurred.
We repaired (re-installed!) the extractor and with MY ammunition (Federal bulk pack 36 grainers) he continued to shoot.
There was no bulge in his heavy barreled Ruger no barrel blockage - thankfully.
Again my point (and probably dla's point) is, 22 L.R. is NOT perfect and failures and incidents will happen - thankfully rarely.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Z
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Z
^^^^i am of the same thoughts as you. I have always "factored" in a few duds when shooting 22LR. That's just the way I've always been. It ain't like I am staring down a charging ele or buff. Maybe at worst a rogue Jack-a-lope. Too bad about Thunderbolts. They were my childhood bullet. I just bought a brick of Aguila for $29 at Cabela's. That ammo is good. Mexican ammo better than American? SMH!!! But its true. Wake TFU Remington!!!

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J

Originally Posted by Zengela
^^^^i am of the same thoughts as you. I have always "factored" in a few duds when shooting 22LR. That's just the way I've always been. It ain't like I am staring down a charging ele or buff. Maybe at worst a rogue Jack-a-lope. Too bad about Thunderbolts. They were my childhood bullet. I just bought a brick of Aguila for $29 at Cabela's. That ammo is good. Mexican ammo better than American? SMH!!! But its true. Wake TFU Remington!!!

I used to avoid buying .22 LR in loose bulk packs regardless the brand because many claimed to have experienced more duds and squib loads in bulk packs than they did with regular 50 and 100 round individually packaged ammo.

V
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
V
Joken2: You may have a point there but I also shoot large amounts of Winchester 40 grain Power-Point hollow-points (these come in 100 packs and are expensive!) in several of my most accuracy capable Rifles and pistols like my heavy barreled Remington 40-X, Kimber 82-G, Kimber Model 22 H/S (Hunter/silhouette), Ruger 77/22 V/T and Sako P94S and on occasion these bullets fail to fire and fail to extract (out of spec brass?).
But you are right as far as I know the various bulk packs have a bit higher percentage of failures - I don't know why but my guess is production demands/speed?
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Z
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Z
Originally Posted by joken2

Originally Posted by Zengela

I used to avoid buying .22 LR in loose bulk packs regardless the brand because many claimed to have experienced more duds and squib loads in bulk packs than they did with regular 50 and 100 round individually packaged ammo.

It was a brick of 500. In small 50 round little boxes. I also don't like the paper boxes or cardboard "milk cartons" that they dump them into. I know Aguila is good stuff. Used some of their heavy 60gr. And hyper velocity stuff..

Last edited by Zengela; 06/14/17.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

185 members (19rabbit52, 10gaugemag, 30Gibbs, 345dl, 1_deuce, 264mag, 28 invisible), 2,681 guests, and 1,011 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,278
Posts18,467,637
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.