Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I've been looking at these. They seems to be priced at $120.00 everywhere. Has anyone tried this one? Your input would be greatly appreciated. Are there better options? The most I can spend is about $150.00. Any other options out there in that price range that would make a good choice? The platform is an entry level PSA lower mated with one of their uppers. It's a flattop 16" bbl. with sights mounted.

Thanks guys, and best wishes for a Happy Memorial Day.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
GB1

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I don't know it might be better to just use iron sights, you could completely waste $150.00 getting something that might not ever work as intended, or save a few more months and buy an swfa 1-4 classic, which is not the best optically but actually works and is dependable as a sighting device.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Thanks for the advice, but the budget's pretty firm at $150.00.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Back when I was a kid, I was using cheap scopes on my 22's and always had trouble with them. Once I bought a fixed 4x Leupold my troubles went away.

I'd try looking for a better known scope than to take a chance on a chinese import. Look in the classifides or maybe even a Leupold Rifleman series.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I had a Bushnell - https://www.midwayusa.com/product/3...-drop-zone-223-bdc-reticle-matte#details at one point that wasn't bad. Have since upgraded to a Burris.

With the $10 off at Midway and 25% rebate on the bushnell puts you under the $150 if you can wait to get the rebate back. Might be able to shop some more and find a better price somewhere else.

Good is not good when better is expected. ~ Thomas Fuller
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Thanks for the lead, texas hawg. I'll check those out.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Primary Arms doesn't sell junk. If their name is on it, it's inexpensive; it's no cheap. It will be a decent competent scope. No it won't be military grade indestructible, but you can expect it will be clear and will hold zero.

Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y
I think I'd be more inclined to spend $150 on a Primary Arms than a cheap Bushnell, IMO. Primary Arms has a pretty good reputation for their optics lately, within their price point anyway. Some of that Bushnell stuff is "blister pack at WalMart" quality.

T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
I'm sorry, PA is a good company to do business with but their chinese imported optics line is still chinese at best.

Buy what you like but don't pass it off for just as good as...

Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y
Originally Posted by TWR
I'm sorry, PA is a good company to do business with but their chinese imported optics line is still chinese at best.

And what exactly do you think the cheap Bushnell stuff is?

IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
I've got a few Bushnell Elites that are great scopes and certainly not blister pack at Walmart quality. I'd put them up against a lot of other scopes for wet conditions or twilight. Just sayin.

If it were me (and it isn't), I'd probably just wait until I could pony up for a Burris or Leupold.

Now back to your regularly scheduled program.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Half the "American" stuff is probably made in China.
I've used that Primary scope and it works well as a "red dot" up close 1x - it has an illuminated reticle unlike the Bushnell mentioned. It's also pretty good as a magnified sight.

abusus non tollit usum
T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by Yondering
Originally Posted by TWR

And what exactly do you think the cheap Bushnell stuff is?

Chinese.

Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y
Originally Posted by local_dirt
I've got a few Bushnell Elites that are great scopes and certainly not blister pack at Walmart quality. I'd put them up against a lot of other scopes for wet conditions or twilight. Just sayin.

Which is why I said "cheap Bushnell". Your Elites sure didn't cost $150 did they, so why bring them up here?

Busnell, Vortex, and a whole bunch of other scope companies are in the same boat here, with really cheap stuff at the low end and some decent options at the high end. The high end stuff doesn't make the cheap stuff any better, but it does confuse some into thinking the whole brand means top quality, apparently.

If the OP wants to avoid cheap Chinese stuff for $150, his only real option is a decent used scope like a Leupold VX-II or something similar.

Last edited by Yondering; 06/01/17.
J
Campfire Regular
Online Mad
Campfire Regular
J
2x7 Redfield

There is no retreat but in submission and slavery!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
What are you REALLY going to use it for and how often will you use it?

Originally Posted by SBTCO
your flippant remarks which you so adeptly sling
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Bluedreaux
What are you REALLY going to use it for and how often will you use it?

It's an entry level Ar. My finances dictate an entry level scope. My older eyes really prefer a scope. 50 yards, or so, I"m still okay with battle sights, but much farther out than that gets a little sporty. I like the idea of a lower power variable. I may get a wild hair and try this in deer season some time, so like the idea of a 1x to 4x as opposed to a red dot. I also would like to be able to see the benefit of the tighter groups a 4X scope offers. I've hunted with 4X glass for decades and never had problems. Part of it's cosmetics too-I like the look of the AR-styled scopes on these weapons. As for my deer hunting, with this rifle, it would be in the woods, and the shots would be less than 100 yards. This would be a "second deer" proposition, as I have a really good spot I always will hunt on opening day that sits on a wide trail where shots can range out to 200 yards. I always carry either my 300 Savage or an '06 Mauser on the first day.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Just buy the primary Arms. It's perfect for what you want.

abusus non tollit usum
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'd imagine the PA 1-4 would suit you just fine.

Originally Posted by SBTCO
your flippant remarks which you so adeptly sling
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Thanks Bluedreaux.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by jimone
2x7 Redfield

Winner! $135 if you have Amazon Prime:

https://www.amazon.com/Redfield-Rev...7&sr=8-5&keywords=redfield+scope

Made in US and lifetime warranty.

'Four legs good, two legs baaaad."
----------------------------------------------
"Jimmy, some of it's magic,
Some of it's tragic,
But I had a good life all the way."
(Jimmy Buffett)

SotG
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I got the PA 2.5X CQB reticle for my Colt, and very happy with the product for the price. Was concerned with the daylight illumination in strong sun, but works great in all light conditions for me...but I haven't cycled 1000 shots at a time yet either.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Son_of_the_Gael
2x7 Redfield

Sorry, but the Amazon Redfield is a Revenge model, not a Revolution, and therefore not made in the U.S. The Redfield Revolution is what I have on my AR carbine, and it is an excellent scope for the money. I got mine on sale at Cabela's for $139 a while back and find it excellent for my aging eyes. That being said, I have owned a number of scopes made in the Philippines that performed just fine (Burris, Nikon and Intensity), so a Redfield Revenge might be just fine.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by GunGeek
Primary Arms doesn't sell junk. If their name is on it, it's inexpensive; it's no cheap. It will be a decent competent scope. No it won't be military grade indestructible, but you can expect it will be clear and will hold zero.

How many have you personally tested? Unless you have some proof of that I am gonna call bullshit on it. Plus I would have to see the pictures. This place is beginning to sink fast, most of the "knowledge" here is coming from google.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by jimmyp

How many have you personally tested? Unless you have some proof of that I am gonna call bullshit on it. Plus I would have to see the pictures. This place is beginning to sink fast, most of the "knowledge" here is coming from google.
Personally I have never "tested" a primary arms scope. But the 3 gun competitions I have been to are no stranger to Primary Arms stuff, and I have yet to find anyone unhappy with a PA branded product. They seem to be popular and even recommended by competitors for an entry level scope. Most serious competitors will upgrade at some point and pass their PA scope/dot on to someone else. I personally watched a competitor take a PA red dot (one of the early Aimpoint knock-off's) off his AR, throw it about 15 yards, where it skipped a couple times along the cement walk way, then off into the gravel. Mounted it back on his AR and put 4-5 rounds on steel at 50 yards. I wanna say that was a red dot in the $79.00 price range...we were all pretty impressed for a $79.00 red dot. He said that was the 4th or 5th time he had done that. He bought it specifically to just beat the living crap out of.

So while I have never personally "tested" or owned one, I have encountered a few owners who have all been pretty happy.

T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
I watched a buddy shooting one of the PA red dots until the screws broke off and it bounced off the concrete...

Didn't make him very happy nor did it impress me but in full disclosure, he replaced the cheap screws and it's still working.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Gungeek per M. Sagebrush's statement, if someone was selling bullshit on a stick for a 1.75 and the next dude selling chocolate ice cream for 2.00 you would be telling someone how you saw several other people eating the 1.75 offering and saying it was great. I think you are a gun writer of sorts so you yourself should and could afford a $79 primary arms red dot and post up your results first hand? I would love to see your review instead of you recommending something you have never owned. You have a lot to say but most of it is garnered second or third hand.

If we are to believe the the results from your post above regards flinging the PA red dot on the concrete there is no doubt that we will all be reading that the Seals and next the Marines why all branches of service and law enforcement will be going to primary arms red dots. I have myself tried a couple of the sig romeo 4's, while I use them on a couple of fun guns at this time I would not recommend them over an aimpoint or even an eotech, both of which are in use by people who have to rely on their equipment. Please note I own the sig's romeo's, have shot with them over a year, have had no issues with them and still don't have the chutzpah to recommend them over a known reliable brand.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
it's a riot reading this chit. Fellow wants a plinker, an entry level shooter, and all the phugging know it all experts are beating him up for buying cheap gear. I am pretty certain GopherGunner is not going into combat with this toy, and won't be betting his life on it. Now I know there are some "real operators" here, and their opinions do count, but for goodness sake, like Eric said, how good is good is sometimes defined by what you are going to do with it and how often you are going to use it.
Not everyone wants, or can afford to spend $1400 on an optic, with another $500 on mounts, rails and the like.

Sam......

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Originally Posted by Son_of_the_Gael
2x7 Redfield

Currently unavailable.
We don't know when or if this item will be back in stock.

Might take more than Amazon Prime.

We may know the time Ben Carson lied, but does anyone know the time Hillary Clinton told the truth?

Immersing oneself in progressive lieberalism is no different than bathing in the sewage of Hell.
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Gungeek per M. Sagebrush's statement, if someone was selling bullshit on a stick for a 1.75 and the next dude selling chocolate ice cream for 2.00 you would be telling someone how you saw several other people eating the 1.75 offering and saying it was great. I think you are a gun writer of sorts so you yourself should and could afford a $79 primary arms red dot and post up your results first hand? I would love to see your review instead of you recommending something you have never owned. You have a lot to say but most of it is garnered second or third hand.

If we are to believe the the results from your post above regards flinging the PA red dot on the concrete there is no doubt that we will all be reading that the Seals and next the Marines why all branches of service and law enforcement will be going to primary arms red dots. I have myself tried a couple of the sig romeo 4's, while I use them on a couple of fun guns at this time I would not recommend them over an aimpoint or even an eotech, both of which are in use by people who have to rely on their equipment. Please note I own the sig's romeo's, have shot with them over a year, have had no issues with them and still don't have the chutzpah to recommend them over a known reliable brand.

Whatever dude, you tell people what you want, I'll tell them my experiences. If you're just saying I'm FOS, that's your opinion and you're welcome to it. I could give a rats-azz what you of all people think. I think it's because I've clashed with some other people and you just try too hard to go along with the in crowd so you constantly screw with me...That's called insecurity. Or you're just a dikk

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
well Kevin with your rich work history and knowledge base I guess I have to admit I am wrong. Still would love to see you (for once) buy something and review it.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
well Kevin with your rich work history and knowledge base I guess I have to admit I am wrong. Still would love to see you (for once) buy something and review it.
I have all kinds of chit...and I used to write for several gun magazines where I reviewed stuff all the time. I was trying to address what he was asking about, not tell him what I have. I don't get what your deal is, but sorry I somehow have offended you.

Last edited by GunGeek; 06/30/17.
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
There may just be a 1-4x24 PA with the 7.62x39/300BO ACSS reticle going on an RSregulate 303M lower mount and an RSregulate AKR upper mount on an Arsenal SLR107-FR here in the near future that we can postulate on, soon as I decide on some 30mm low rings. grin

Not sure why these kinds of questions always turn into a beating. TFF grin

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
There may just be a 1-4x24 PA with the 7.62x39/300BO ACSS reticle going on an RSregulate 303M lower mount and an RSregulate AKR upper mount on an Arsenal SLR107-FR here in the near future that we can postulate on, soon as I decide on some 30mm low rings. grin

Hope you had a helluva bday Dirt!

She never made it past the bedroom door, what was she aiming for...?
She's gone shootin..
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Thanks, Cert! Yes I did. Had a very relaxed morning just hanging out drinking coffee and reading with the dog. Had a thought last night about fishing this morning until ai remembered I just sent my 2 best spinning reels in for warranty repair and maint. Drove over to the beach this afternoon and hit Nick's bar, an old fixture on the boardwalk with great food. Big chef's salad with grilled shrimp, a couple cervezas, nice breeze, and a lot of pretty ladies. Life is good!

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger

They turn to chit because it's an unmoderated forum.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have one of these on my Handi Rifle in 44mag:

https://www.natchezss.com/weaver-classic-v-series-rifle-scope-1-3x20mm-87-29-5-4-13-matte.html

If you're willing to wait a little, I got mine on sale for 160 bucks last summer, and it might happen again. I really like it. I wouldn't hesitate to use the PA scope either hunting though.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
It's been turning to chit for a while because people post second hand information and information they have found using google.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I own 1, that's not second hand chiit....and for the price a good unit.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna

frankly, I really appreciate the lack of moderation. I can always put the azzwipes that contribute nothing on ignore. smile

Sam......

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J

GG you probably would make a great moderator in a democrat town hall meeting, picking who could talk and who could not talk. Thankfully your not a moderator here or the place would shut down.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Phoughk. Can we just go back to talking about guns? Geez o Pete all' phoughking ready.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
I picked up one of the Primary Arms 4-14x44 FFP scopes for a Long Range 308..The Glass is clear/crisp/Bright and it Tracks Perfect..Liked it so well I ordered another...

My Son ordered a SWFA 10X super Chicken at the same Time....The Glass seams to be Clearer and Brighter on the PA.....We put them both in the Freezer for one hour and submerged them in Warm Water the Super Chicken Failed/Fogged. The PA Passed.

“When you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth.”
H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Never looked through any of the PA scopes.
Bought one of their 30mm reddots, worked fine.

Emailed the company w a question.....seemed like he wanted me to be the happiest customer.

So..............I'm buying another PA reddot (newer version).

If I have a prob with the new one, I'm confident PA will make things right.
Imported red dot..............OK, I'm not 100% sure it will be problem free.

Confident enough that it's worth the $.

Hell I bought 2 new US built rifle scopes that were bad from the factory. One was replaced, the other fixed. Stuff happens.
I'll give any company one chance to fix their mistake.

Dozen scopes from that manufacturer, 2 bad out of 12 sucks...........but the problematic items were 10 yrs apart.
Once fixed/replaced.............no problems.

Maybe my PA reddot will be fine, maybe it won't. I am sure that PA will stand behind it.
Guy I dealt with was cool, and THAT is what will make me a repeat customer.

Last edited by hookeye; 07/09/17.
R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Seems to be a pretty decent red dot 30mm on top left of their 1st page on their website w lifetime warranty for your average shooters.

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
PA.....Has Some of the Best Customer service Period......I have spent Thousands of Bucks with them and on the rare occasion !!!!!! if you have a problem...They will make it more than right.

“When you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth.”
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
If you are ok with a heavy duplex reticle, Optics Planet has a VX-1 shotgun scope 1-4 on sale for $179, close to your budget. Still show a few left.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 86thecat
If you are ok with a heavy duplex reticle, Optics Planet has a VX-1 shotgun scope 1-4 on sale for $179, close to your budget. Still show a few left.

Generally shotgun scopes are set up with a short parallax, like 75 yards,

Let's Go Brandon! FJB
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My understanding is a 75yd zero vs 100 or 150 yd zero eliminates some parallax error close in but makes little difference otherwise until past 300 yards. I have used a shotgun scope on an AR with no issues, always do your homework tho.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Don't do it. Don't ever buy a cheap scope.
That's the path I've been going and I really don't believe I've ever had a good scope. I.e. one that does everything mechanically well:
1) Adjustments - When you put wind or elevation on it, it adjusts properly
2) Focus
3) Parallax adjustment - Does it eliminate all parallax? Forget whether or not the range scale is even in the right zip code.
4) Magnification adjustment - Does magnification adjust without changing POI?
5) POI stability - Can I put a zero on it and come back later, even after some handling, and find the gun shooting to the same POI?

Then there's things like clarity, color, click feel, etc that are unimportant compared to the above.
I've never had a $1,000 scope. Maybe I need to get one.

Politics is War by Other Means
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

569 members (10gaugeman, 06hunter59, 007FJ, 12344mag, 160user, 10ring1, 57 invisible), 2,356 guests, and 1,147 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,214
Posts18,466,272
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.