Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
I just picked up another Mohawk in 308! It's about in perfect condition. I hope it shoots. The owner said it did.

Also it has the walnut stock and gold trigger.

BP-B6

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
I own 2 rem 600 mohawks, both in 308. Scarce as hens teeth in NZ, given their age. Couldnt find one locally for years, so ended up importing mine from the US.
One rifle was rated at 99%, is in beautiful original condition. Its a safe queen, never fired it, never will....

Second rifle I imported was rated at 97% from a firearms dealer called Yanke Artifact....97% my arse!! What a disapointment that was. Barrel was full of rust and horribly pitted. Stock had a crack in it in the fore end, .

Honestly dont know how a dealer, knowing full well the rifle was being sent to an exporter to go to another country could be so dis-honest with the cost involved in export/import ....Exporter made the comment when the rifle arrived it was in a cardboard box such as most firearm manufacters use,,, no packaging inside to hold it in place and stop it moving around....

Only decent thing on the rifle was the action. Ive had another chrome-moly barrel made for it in the original contour and length.

Imported a real nice original mohawk stock from the US as a replacement, are turning this into a hunting rifle. Have dealt with some absolutely fantastic people in the US which you couldnt ask for better customer service. The dealer mentioned above was the only sour deal I ve had...

Last edited by cervus; 02/28/17.
D
D
I've been having some issues with the assembly of the magazine, and the function of the block that is in the 222 Rem mag well. Just went through a few iterations with Remington about trigger work they did on my 600. See http://24.172.105.90/z/660 for a photo story. Has a fairly happy ending.

But the fact remains that the trigger guard is plastic, and ugly, and is badly bent on assembly due to poor fitting parts. I scrapped a few thousanths off each side of the plastic last night which helped. But the mag well is not seating properly in the trigger guard, and or the action. As well the spacer is not held high enough to really do it's job of facilitating magazine loading. it's a problem unless you watch the first round go into the magazine.

I've been trying to keep mine STOCK but see that it will be a sub MOA shooter. So am going forward with the aluminum trigger guard install.. Ordered one today.

SO... if their's anyone out there who shares my assembly problem... please tell me what you've done. I played with mine for an hour last night and the trigger guard (plastic) was still deformed when the screws were tightened.

Dave - shootccskeet.com

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Dave,

I have a 660 in 222 Rem, basically the same rifle as yours. The previous owner had replaced the plastic trigger guard assy with a metal one of unknown manufacture. Of course, shortly after buying it, I had to take it apart to check it out and had a lot of trouble getting it back together again. I decided that since it would be a range/varmint rifle anyway, I bought a single shot follower and installed it. It did take me a long time to get the magazine back together and seated correctly. I don't know if there were parts missing or what, but the magazine didn't seem to want to stay in one piece while placing the trigger guard in place. It's back together now and I won't be taking the stock off anytime soon. It shoots great though.

"A free people (claim) their rights as derived from the laws of nature, and not as the gift of their chief magistrate."
--Thomas Jefferson, Rights of British America, 1774
M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
I have a buddy that went to Germany with the Army in 1980...he brought back two of these that had Mannlicher stocks on them. They came that way from Remington. Personally, I cannot stand that style stock, but I guess Remington made them for the European market??? They are hard to find. I have owned I think at least one of every rifle ever made, but I have never had a 600. I cannot remember the last time I even saw one for sale...or saw one live in person period for that matter. Any ideas how many of these things they even made??? Why were they not cataloged???

IC B2

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Got my 660 in very good condition for $250 from a pawn shop. Talked the owner down because someone had rebarreled it to 22-243 and I convinced him it would NEVER be sold in that configuration. Picked up a 20" takeoff Rem 700 youth rifle barrel in 7mm-08 for $70, one of Willie's aluminum trigger guards, and a set of Conetrol rings and bases for $40 at a Elk Foundation auction.

My gunsmith screwed on the new barrel, full-length bedded the original Rem stock and cerakoted the metal in matte black. The slightly heavier (and slightly longer) barrel give it just a touch of weight-forward feel for steadier aiming, and although I might be imagining it, muzzle blast seems significantly less than another 660 I had in .243 with the 18" barrel. Now I'm trying to decide whether to put on a Leupold M8 6x or a Vari-X III 2.5-8x36 to finish the job!

Last edited by czech1022; 05/27/17.

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing -- Edmund Burke
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The 600 has always intrigued me. Not in love with the rib but really like the way they handle.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by cervus
I own 2 rem 600 mohawks, both in 308. Scarce as hens teeth in NZ, given their age. Couldnt find one locally for years, so ended up importing mine from the US.
One rifle was rated at 99%, is in beautiful original condition. Its a safe queen, never fired it, never will....

Second rifle I imported was rated at 97% from a firearms dealer called Yanke Artifact....97% my arse!! What a disapointment that was. Barrel was full of rust and horribly pitted. Stock had a crack in it in the fore end, .

Honestly dont know how a dealer, knowing full well the rifle was being sent to an exporter to go to another country could be so dis-honest with the cost involved in export/import ....Exporter made the comment when the rifle arrived it was in a cardboard box such as most firearm manufacters use,,, no packaging inside to hold it in place and stop it moving around....

Only decent thing on the rifle was the action. Ive had another chrome-moly barrel made for it in the original contour and length.

Imported a real nice original mohawk stock from the US as a replacement, are turning this into a hunting rifle. Have dealt with some absolutely fantastic people in the US which you couldnt ask for better customer service. The dealer mentioned above was the only sour deal I ve had...

I don't recall ever having purchased anything from them, but I have heard/read lots of bad reviews of Yankee Artifacts in Northborough, MA, most being that firearms were way over-graded to such a degree that they might have been graded by a blind person. Caveat Emptor!

www.yankeeartifacts.com

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by msinc
I have a buddy that went to Germany with the Army in 1980...he brought back two of these that had Mannlicher stocks on them. They came that way from Remington. Personally, I cannot stand that style stock, but I guess Remington made them for the European market??? They are hard to find. I have owned I think at least one of every rifle ever made, but I have never had a 600. I cannot remember the last time I even saw one for sale...or saw one live in person period for that matter. Any ideas how many of these things they even made??? Why were they not cataloged???

Remington made the 600 from 1964 thru 1967, the 660 from 1968 thru 1971, and the 600 Mohawk from 1972 thru 1979. The 600 Mohawks were sold through discount and high volume retailers, rather than through gun shops.

I've heard of 600 Mohawks with mannlicher style stocks being sold through AAFES base/post exchanges in Europe, but I've never seen one that appeared to be original or had provenance that would justify the asking price.

I have a few 600/660s, a 6mm and 308 in their original factory specs and four that have been rebarrel/restocked in 22-250, 243, 260, and 308.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Several years ago I saw a M600 in 222 that had been rechambered to 223. Price wasnt bad, heck of a lot cheaper than an original M600 in 223

IC B3

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by dhenzler
I've been having some issues with the assembly of the magazine, and the function of the block that is in the 222 Rem mag well. Just went through a few iterations with Remington about trigger work they did on my 600. See http://24.172.105.90/z/660 for a photo story. Has a fairly happy ending.

But the fact remains that the trigger guard is plastic, and ugly, and is badly bent on assembly due to poor fitting parts. I scrapped a few thousanths off each side of the plastic last night which helped. But the mag well is not seating properly in the trigger guard, and or the action. As well the spacer is not held high enough to really do it's job of facilitating magazine loading. it's a problem unless you watch the first round go into the magazine.

I've been trying to keep mine STOCK but see that it will be a sub MOA shooter. So am going forward with the aluminum trigger guard install.. Ordered one today.

SO... if their's anyone out there who shares my assembly problem... please tell me what you've done. I played with mine for an hour last night and the trigger guard (plastic) was still deformed when the screws were tightened.

Dave - [email protected]

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I have two Mohawks, a .222 and a pristine .308. 260RemGuy helped me out on how to get the magazine in place while reassembling the rifle. I don't remember the procedure though. I think it involved either tape or rubber bands. Anyway, he was spot on as usual. He's extremely knowledgeable.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by model70man
I have two Mohawks, a .222 and a pristine .308. 260RemGuy helped me out on how to get the magazine in place while reassembling the rifle. I don't remember the procedure though. I think it involved either tape or rubber bands. Anyway, he was spot on as usual. He's extremely knowledgeable.

I probably suggested using a piece of clear packing tape to keep the part together and I'm sure that my knowledge was earned through trial and error.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by 260Remguy
Originally Posted by model70man

I probably suggested using a piece of clear packing tape to keep the part together and I'm sure that my knowledge was earned through trial and error.

That was it Jeff. It worked like a charm. Thanks again!

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
I think they are great!

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
410 members (10ring1, 1lesfox, 160user, 257 mag, 1lessdog, 12344mag, 41 invisible), 2,107 guests, and 918 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,594
Posts18,398,021
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.